U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 08:01 AM

91 posts, read 147,898 times

Advertisements

Good morning, all. Hope you all enjoyed your holiday!

My sister-in-law is a photographer who currently works primarily for a local studio doing mostly weddings, parties, mitzvah's, etc. She is currently transitioning to working on her own with the recent launch of her website/social media pages. For her studio, all shoots are backed up on an external hard drive and also backed up to their in-house server. Now that she is doing some shoots on her own, she needs her own server or NAS to backup client pics to. Having been out of touch with hardware the past few years, I would like some recommendations on a setup for her. I am thinking of a 2 bay NAS and she can just pop out drives when max capacity is reach and store them away. Each shoot averages 30-40 gb's (although, I plan to show her how to compress to zip/rar). Anybody have any recommendations on a hardware setup? I think an NAS is the easiest and best option for something like this. Outside of her photography software (photoshop and lightroom) she is not too computer savvy so it must be an easy setup with little to no maintenance since I would get stuck doing that.

NAS is the best option, right? Any recommendations on which one and any drives to go with it? This weekend is probably a great time to buy with all the holiday/black friday/cyber monday deals.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2014, 08:34 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,905 posts, read 33,646,478 times
People who are serious about NAS seem to always favor one brand, Synology. Rock-solid hardware and easy to set up. Also, a good NAS will have the ability to sync itself to off-site backups. Since you mentioned backups, this is a feature to look for.

Someone's livelihood is at stake here, OP. This is not the time to go with a Black Friday deal on an off brand.

Old 11-28-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
People who are serious about NAS seem to always favor one brand, Synology. Rock-solid hardware and easy to set up. Also, a good NAS will have the ability to sync itself to off-site backups. Since you mentioned backups, this is a feature to look for.

Someone's livelihood is at stake here, OP. This is not the time to go with a Black Friday deal on an off brand.
Thanks for the recommendation on Synology. I will look into them.

As far as a black friday deal... if it's a solid product from a solid brand, what is the problem with getting it for cheaper?

Old 11-28-2014, 08:55 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,905 posts, read 33,646,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_ss View Post
As far as a black friday deal... if it's a solid product from a solid brand, what is the problem with getting it for cheaper?
Are you truly committed to a solid brand or are you looking for the low bidder?

Synology NAS devices are rarely marked down. There are cheaper solutions out there, but you also mentioned how important ease of use and dependability were. Personally, I wouldn't just go with whatever Best Buy puts on sale this weekend for backing up files that are needed for someone's work.

Old 11-28-2014, 08:57 AM

40,290 posts, read 41,836,137 times
I don't have any recommendations but just wanted to mention zipping image files will not give you much if any savings on disk space. There are some benefits, it's lot faster to transfer one large file than a bunch of small ones between devices.

Old 11-28-2014, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Are you truly committed to a solid brand or are you looking for the low bidder?

Synology NAS devices are rarely marked down. There are cheaper solutions out there, but you also mentioned how important ease of use and dependability were. Personally, I wouldn't just go with whatever Best Buy puts on sale this weekend for backing up files that are needed for someone's work.
Yes, ease of use and dependability are important. If I wasn't committed to a solid brand/product and was willing to just buy anything on sale, I wouldn't be posting in various forums for recommendations. With that said, I still see zero issue with saving money on solid product with a proven track record.

Again, thank you for the recommendation and I will continue to research.

Old 11-28-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I don't have any recommendations but just wanted to mention zipping image files will not give you much if any savings on disk space. There are some benefits, it's lot faster to transfer one large file than a bunch of small ones between devices.
Thanks. Maybe compression isn't of any benefit to her. Transfer time isn't as big of an issue. Thought maybe compression might help reduce file size.

Old 11-28-2014, 04:46 PM

40,290 posts, read 41,836,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_ss View Post
Thanks. Maybe compression isn't of any benefit to her. Transfer time isn't as big of an issue. Thought maybe compression might help reduce file size.
It would if they were text files like Word documents, those can be reduced as much as 90%. Data files like images and video can't be compressed any more with something like Zip where you get the same exact file when it's uncompressed. If they could be compressed more without quality loss they would already be using it in the image file formats themselves.

Old 11-28-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
It would if they were text files like Word documents, those can be reduced as much as 90%. Data files like images and video can't be compressed any more with something like Zip where you get the same exact file when it's uncompressed. If they could be compressed more without quality loss they would already be using it in the image file formats themselves.
Certainly makes sense! Thanks!

Now, hopefully, I can get some more recommendations on which NAS's to look into.

Thanks again for the help thus far everyone.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:26 AM

11,849 posts, read 13,973,633 times
I am a big fan of Sans Digital.
I use a few of their products in mission critical business applications.

http://www.amazon.com/Sans-Digital-T...s=sans+digital
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers