U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-04-2014, 10:07 AM
 
Location: Concord, NC
1,211 posts, read 1,966,818 times
Reputation: 807

Advertisements

Sounds like you may have a corrupt downloaded update that is causing this. You can try deleting everything inside C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download. This will cause Windows Update to re-download the updates.

When was the last time windows updates was successful? That last time I saw that many updates was when I used a pre-service pack 1 disk to reinstall Windows 7.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-04-2014, 12:35 PM
 
28,638 posts, read 40,617,860 times
Reputation: 37346
We just rebuilt both laptops and there were a LOT of updates. It took hours to download and install but all it took was patience. I agee you have a problem on the computer that needs resolving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2014, 12:59 PM
 
10,755 posts, read 18,013,891 times
Reputation: 10244
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
You can turn off automatic updates. Google "How to turn off automatic updates".
Worst possible advise, hopefully you don't do this for a living

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I don't care how many updates you have, Windows should have no problem downloading 127 updates and installing them. If it is choking on updates, then something else is at play here. Reboot and let them install.
This. You have some other issue OP, Windows shouldn't have a problem with 127 updates unless there are problems somewhere. Do you do the monthly updates on a regular basis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2014, 01:37 PM
 
Location: A safe distance from San Francisco
9,088 posts, read 6,400,707 times
Reputation: 9374
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Depends on the exploit but for example in early versions of XP simply connecting the machine itself to the internet can get you infected. There is millions of lines of code in an OS like Windows and when "if $a == $b" is significantly different than "if $a === $B" you can expect errors and exploits.

My example is from phpBB2 and was significant enough they issued a patch just to fix it a few days after a huge patch was released.
As I have said before, I have run "unsupported" OSs for probably half of the 17 years I've been online. Currently XP, Windows 2000 Professional before that, Windows 98 SE before that, and Windows 95 before that.

Never - not once - have I seen a shred of evidence with my own eyes that validates this claim....the claim that we have all read ad nauseum. My system remains malware free as it has been throughout 17 years of daily online use. And for the last 10 years or so, that means hours every day.

As I asked in my recent thread....where's my malware?

The best malware protection by far is found between a user's ears. People who carefully adhere to the safe computing practices that have long been known have more reason to fear Ebola than malware.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2014, 01:45 PM
 
10,755 posts, read 18,013,891 times
Reputation: 10244
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Never - not once - have I seen a shred of evidence with my own eyes that validates this claim....the claim that we have all read ad nauseum. My system remains malware free as it has been throughout 17 years of daily online use. And for the last 10 years or so, that means hours every day.
Thus your single, blind experience makes patching the OS unnecessary, perfectly logical

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
The best malware protection by far is found between a user's ears. People who carefully adhere to the safe computing practices that have long been known have more reason to fear Ebola than malware.
That is repeated constantly on these forums, it doesn't validate your first claim. I could provide link upon link with info on critical patches OS and application) and how users are affected by not applying them, but I'll let you do the legwork, I already am aware of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2014, 01:53 PM
 
Location: A safe distance from San Francisco
9,088 posts, read 6,400,707 times
Reputation: 9374
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Thus your single, blind experience makes patching the OS unnecessary, perfectly logical



That is repeated constantly on these forums, it doesn't validate your first claim. I could provide link upon link with info on critical patches OS and application) and how users are affected by not applying them, but I'll let you do the legwork, I already am aware of them.
Surely, Dave, you can do better than believe it because I - and all of the software peddlers - tell you to.

17 years of daily online experience totaling 10s of thousands of hours is hardly "blind". If there was anything to your claim, I would have been infected by now - many times over.

And you know that as well as I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2014, 01:59 PM
 
10,755 posts, read 18,013,891 times
Reputation: 10244
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Surely, Dave, you can do better than [b][i]believe it because I - and all of the software peddlers - tell you to.
Not at all. I believe it because despite my advise some of my clients don't keep their software updated, and I see the results. And I see the results of others not keeping their systems patched which usually results in a data breach. Your opinion is your opinion, not everyone elses. Few people here will agree with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2014, 02:33 PM
 
Location: A safe distance from San Francisco
9,088 posts, read 6,400,707 times
Reputation: 9374
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Not at all. I believe it because despite my advise some of my clients don't keep their software updated, and I see the results. And I see the results of others not keeping their systems patched which usually results in a data breach. Your opinion is your opinion, not everyone elses. Few people here will agree with you.
Ok, so if what you're saying is that my experience tells me that I must save people from their own ignorance and poor judgement, then we probably have some common ground.

But I have long proven that, where ignorance and poor judgement is not in play, malware infection threat is vastly overstated. Acknowledge that and we don't really have an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2014, 06:09 PM
 
40,290 posts, read 41,836,137 times
Reputation: 16800
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
As I have said before, I have run "unsupported" OSs for probably half of the 17 years I've been online. Currently XP, Windows 2000 Professional before that, Windows 98 SE before that, and Windows 95 before that.

Never - not once - have I seen a shred of evidence with my own eyes that validates this claim....the claim that we have all read ad nauseum. My system remains malware free as it has been throughout 17 years of daily online use. And for the last 10 years or so, that means hours every day.
I can assure you that exploit I mentioned about XP is real because it happened to me. I had done a clean reinstall of Windows and before updating I went and downloaded and installed some other software. The last of which was AV which immediately started to alert me to an infection. Researching what it was lead me to the information about the exploit.

It happened that quick, they were randomly scanning IP's for this vulnertbility and I was unlucky enough to get it before updating .

Quote:
The best malware protection by far is found between a user's ears.
I'd agree but that's like saying I'm not going to wear a seat belt because I'm the best driver in the world.

Do you "vape"?

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/201...-e-cigarettes/

There is so many vectors you can never possibly expect to think you can stay ahead of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2014, 08:51 PM
 
749 posts, read 767,287 times
Reputation: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Worst possible advise, hopefully you don't do this for a living



This. You have some other issue OP, Windows shouldn't have a problem with 127 updates unless there are problems somewhere. Do you do the monthly updates on a regular basis?
Windows download them automatically.........this is Windows 8, so I know very little about it. However, Time Warner Cable installed a new internet modem, and the problem started after that. Before I had no problems with my updates....


I just tried again and got nowhere.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:52 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top