U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 08:54 PM

749 posts, read 766,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulgeek View Post
Sounds like you may have a corrupt downloaded update that is causing this. You can try deleting everything inside C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download. This will cause Windows Update to re-download the updates.

When was the last time windows updates was successful? That last time I saw that many updates was when I used a pre-service pack 1 disk to reinstall Windows 7.
Before Time Warner installed a faster internet modem.............the problem is getting me exhausted because I know very little about windows 8, or about computers in general.......so I do not push many buttons for fear that I may do more harm than good....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 08:56 PM

749 posts, read 766,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Worst possible advise, hopefully you don't do this for a living

This. You have some other issue OP, Windows shouldn't have a problem with 127 updates unless there are problems somewhere. Do you do the monthly updates on a regular basis?
NHDave, I let Windows do them automatically......

Before I had Windows Vista, and did them manually, and never had a problem....

Old 12-04-2014, 10:26 PM

6,865 posts, read 9,542,774 times
What gets me is that after years of Win 7 and IE, all the monthly security updates are more MB/gigs than the original programs. I can see why they no longer support XP.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:59 AM

688 posts, read 773,971 times
You should always keep your operating system up to date. >_> There are always new exploits coming out and new patches that fix them.

If you have more than like eight updates to install, you're doing it wrong.

Old 12-05-2014, 06:38 AM

11,714 posts, read 11,305,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Ok, so if what you're saying is that my experience tells me that I must save people from their own ignorance and poor judgement, then we probably have some common ground.

But I have long proven that, where ignorance and poor judgement is not in play, malware infection threat is vastly overstated. Acknowledge that and we don't really have an issue.
None of your experience makes any difference at all. Those of us here that have been doing computer support for a living know that infections happen. Sometimes they happen when careful users visit well-run web sites that have been attacked and not yet fixed. We are not going to sit still and let somebody tell a bunch of Internet users (that we don't know about their skills or experience) that it is OK to surf the Internet unprotected. We've challenged people like you that come in here and make statements like this for as long as this forum has existed, and we'll continue to do so.

Just in this thread alone, Tek_freek, NHDave and I represent people who have offered useful advice to people in this very forum for the last 7-8 years, together. We'll keep doing what we do, thanks.

Old 12-05-2014, 07:45 AM

40,209 posts, read 41,799,403 times
Try this, it's MS Update troubleshooter.

Troubleshoot problems with installing updates - Windows Help

Old 12-05-2014, 07:59 AM

28,611 posts, read 40,594,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesthebass View Post
You should always keep your operating system up to date. >_> There are always new exploits coming out and new patches that fix them.

If you have more than like eight updates to install, you're doing it wrong.
Mostly true, but on occasion a big one will come down, I've seen 15 - 20 a few times recently and my PC is set to download automatically.

I'm wondering if the OP hasn't been getting updates for some reason and they all piled up. I had to reformat and reinstall (4 years it took me to get to that point) because there was a problem I could not resolve with downloading .net 4.1. I believe there were 172 downloads in one set and close to another 100 in multiple downloads over a day or so.

Patience is required.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Ok, so if what you're saying is that my experience tells me that I must save people from their own ignorance and poor judgement, then we probably have some common ground.

But I have long proven that, where ignorance and poor judgement is not in play, malware infection threat is vastly overstated. Acknowledge that and we don't really have an issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
None of your experience makes any difference at all. Those of us here that have been doing computer support for a living know that infections happen. Sometimes they happen when careful users visit well-run web sites that have been attacked and not yet fixed. We are not going to sit still and let somebody tell a bunch of Internet users (that we don't know about their skills or experience) that it is OK to surf the Internet unprotected. We've challenged people like you that come in here and make statements like this for as long as this forum has existed, and we'll continue to do so.

Just in this thread alone, Tek_freek, NHDave and I represent people who have offered useful advice to people in this very forum for the last 7-8 years, together. We'll keep doing what we do, thanks.
Some users pick the wrong things to brag about. This is one. Hopefully no one that is less familiar with the problems presented by the practices this one follows will take his advice seriously.

Of course it's a money maker for techs.

7-8 years. Holy cow!

Old 12-05-2014, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
You can turn off automatic updates. Google "How to turn off automatic updates".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
But it would be a bad idea for the OP to never update again. Many updates fix vulnerabilities in the operating system. Since the OP's computer is on the Internet, it needs that protection, or it will be exploited by malware.

Mictosoft pushed a big batch of updates last month. It was an unusually large batch.

Dozens of non-security Windows updates on Patch Tuesday | ZDNet
Quote:
What makes you think so?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
XPerience.
I chuckle when I read this, and hear a rim shot.

Old 12-05-2014, 11:35 AM

52,155 posts, read 30,215,041 times
The number of Microsoft monthly updates with each instance is typically 9 to 14, 127 updates seems awfully high.. The only reason(s) you would get that many Microsoft updates at once:

- If your computer is new, and it has to catch up with the updates
- If you let you computer sit a few months without using it
- If you have your automatic updates set to download/install ALL updates, including optional ones
- If you have several Microsoft packages installed on your computer/laptop, like Microsoft Office

With optional updates, Microsoft includes the ones that are related to Language packs, I've seen quite a few, over 100, and I believe there is a way to disable those if you don't need them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers