U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2014, 11:36 AM

3,279 posts, read 4,202,129 times

Advertisements

We are looking to go on a short 2-3 day trip next weekend. In advance planning of that, I've been checking out some spots and "marking" them, doing so in a "My Maps" within Google Maps.

I was pleased to see that, using the "My Maps" app on the Android phone, I can then pull up this map. HOWEVER, I find it to be rather inadequate. One, the saved spots only show as "pins," I see nowhere where you can have them show as a text-based listing. Two, I don't think it's accessible offline. Three, if I have it show "my location" I have a nigh impossible time even going back to the "pins," much less any listing. Four, even with the "pins" showing you the spots, the descriptions aren't there unless you tap on a pin, and then it shows that one description.

Basically, to me, it's just a mess. Can you imagine an Atlas where there are no listings of the cities with the typical "E4" references, and where in "overview" none of the dots are labeled, you have to tap every single dot until you see what you're looking for? That's what this is like.

So--I am looking for something that is more of the "trip planner" variety, in an Atlas-sort of way, and have it work on my Android. This is what I want:

(1) Create these spots on the PC, via coordinates or "panning" around and "dropping a pin" as it were

(2) Save these spots, either as "favorites' within a "default" map or as part of "My Maps" thing

(3) Have this "push" to the phone

(4) Have the favorites able to be viewed as a text-based listing, complete with things such as how many miles it is from your current location--all in the listing, no having to click "more" to see such. That way, you can quickly pan down the listing and quickly determine what's closest to where you are, or how far certain spots are--again, without having to click "more." AND--it needs to show more than 2-3 per page, more like 10, quit making the listings so HUGE, like it's a quadruple-spaced paper or something (single-spaced is more like it).

(5) Have all of this able to be powered offline, with absolutely no Wi-Fi or mobile data connection at all. This includes zooming in and out, re-routing, and initiating the initial navigation. ALL of it.

If Google Maps can't do this, what other software can?

Or, does this belong in another forum like "trip planning" or "hiking" or the like? (Note: none of the spots are way off-road or such, they're off paved roads, they're just not labeled in terms of an ADDRESS, so I use coordinates.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 12:37 PM

5,374 posts, read 11,278,666 times
Check out this APP for only 8 green ones !!

I use it when I fly (ultralights) and when I drive (car)

Even works worldwide !!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...avigator&hl=en

Old 12-04-2014, 06:43 PM

3,279 posts, read 4,202,129 times
That looks promising (GPS Waypoints Navigator). Can it import from a PC, presumably via the cloud? I like the idea of setting up POIs on the PC and "pushing" to the phone, if possible.

Old 12-05-2014, 11:02 PM

5,374 posts, read 11,278,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Can it import from a PC, presumably via the cloud?
I perused the menus and it does *export* . I did not find any *import* !

I have a *small* problem, since my phone does not have a memory card.
I have an internal storage of 32 Gigs.
I *think* that some functions may not be available to me, without an extra memory card.

What you could and should do is contact the developer and ask him if what you want can be done.
And if not, if it could be integrated into the next version ...

BTW, I even use this APP as my *Find my car* help.
When parked at a large parking area, I make the car the present way point
and when I am ready to go home, the arrow just points in the direction of the car ...

Somewhere, speaking of POI's ...
I can, using Google something, just ask for whatever (say it), and it gives me references within a certain distance. I use that to find whatever I need.

My personal folder on GPS Waypoint gets bigger and bigger as I add more and more
places I regularly visit.
My Flight folder now contains most of the airports around me where I have been,
and where I am planning to go to next.

All by all, I am very satisfied with the APP.
But ... , you do have to name all waypoints as descriptive as you can.
Also each place I have been does have a picture attached to it !

What *you* want, pushing POI's to the Unit can be done on my series 60 Garmin GPS, which I have not used for ages ...

I just connected the phone ot my laptop and looked at what is on the memory.
There is a directory named *GPS_Waypoints_Navigator*
In that directory is a file called *Waypoints File and is about 4K big.
But ... ,it is an old file, and may not have all *my* waypoints in it.
My laptop can not open it.
I have not found any other file that *looks* like *MY* waypoints.

LBNL, reading the description of the APP,
it does say:
<<<★ KML file importing and exporting for trails and waypoints. Data is viewable and navigable on your friend's devices and in Google Earth.>>>

As I mentioned above, I do not have an extra SD card,
so some functions are not available to me.
Apparently KML files can be *imported* by using the extra SD card.
However, it also says that I can e-mail an KML file to my phone.
So I have to try that ...
So this APP may fulfill all your requirements.

Last edited by irman; 12-05-2014 at 11:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or