U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-12-2014, 05:18 PM
 
Location: Derby, CT
3,587 posts, read 2,575,894 times
Reputation: 2944

Advertisements

Maybe the modem had an inbuilt router?

Not sure I understand the question fully.

 
Old 12-12-2014, 05:41 PM
 
Location: Diaspora
21,550 posts, read 24,690,260 times
Reputation: 8930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
...

Now I'll repost my question asked upthread:
For my last computer (the one I'm using now) I'm connected to the internet with an ethernet cable which is also attached to my cable modem... can someone tell me what had been done to the computer to allow it to be connected in that way? Was a router used? Or, what?
Since current computers no longer come with a telephone modem, then there should be a hole that looks a little wider that the ethernet cable plugs into. Plug it into that hole and then directly into the cable modem. No router is needed to do so.
 
Old 12-12-2014, 06:43 PM
 
Location: USA
7,778 posts, read 10,358,216 times
Reputation: 11734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Since current computers no longer come with a telephone modem, then there should be a hole that looks a little wider that the ethernet cable plugs into. Plug it into that hole and then directly into the cable modem. No router is needed to do so.
There is a place on the computer the ethernet cable fits. I've plugged it into that place for several tries plus also into the cable modem. It doesn't make an internet connection though. A light comes on at the hole on the back of the computer when the ethernet cable is plugged into it, but the light on the modem stays dark and I can't get a connection to the internet. Earlier, I hooked up the new computer and phoned my server to talk to a tech... unfortunately, the tech was a soft-spoken woman and I couldn't understand her words and she wouldn't speak louder. I guess I'll try to do that tonight and maybe a male tech with a stronger voice will respond. Thanks so much.
 
Old 12-12-2014, 08:49 PM
 
28,638 posts, read 40,617,860 times
Reputation: 37346
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Congratulations for catching that all on your own! You get a gold star

I was trying to be helpful, I missed that one post as I was doing multiple things at once. I guess you'd just like to be a jerk because you can though...

Oh well!
No, I just get annoyed at jerks who don't or won't take the proper time to read through a thread so they know what they are talking about when they post. If you think your comment is soooo important that it's not a requirement to read what's already be said, then I'm guessing no one cares what you have to say.
 
Old 12-12-2014, 09:26 PM
 
Location: Derby, CT
3,587 posts, read 2,575,894 times
Reputation: 2944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
No, I just get annoyed at jerks who don't or won't take the proper time to read through a thread so they know what they are talking about when they post. If you think your comment is soooo important that it's not a requirement to read what's already be said, then I'm guessing no one cares what you have to say.
Except you didn't read the posts up until when you just responded that addressed your very complaint.

Tis okay though, I understand when you just want to be a jerk
 
Old 12-12-2014, 09:51 PM
 
Location: Diaspora
21,550 posts, read 24,690,260 times
Reputation: 8930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
There is a place on the computer the ethernet cable fits. I've plugged it into that place for several tries plus also into the cable modem. It doesn't make an internet connection though. A light comes on at the hole on the back of the computer when the ethernet cable is plugged into it, but the light on the modem stays dark and I can't get a connection to the internet. Earlier, I hooked up the new computer and phoned my server to talk to a tech... unfortunately, the tech was a soft-spoken woman and I couldn't understand her words and she wouldn't speak louder. I guess I'll try to do that tonight and maybe a male tech with a stronger voice will respond. Thanks so much.
If the take the cable that is plugged into the modem now from the old computer and plug it into the new computer, you have to wait about a minute to activate the hole in the computer. If not, unplug the power to the modem from electricity for about a minute and then give it a few minutes to reset with everything connected. If it still doesn't work you should be able to call the cable company to an electronic voice which sends out a reset signal to the modem which the process should take around five minutes to do the reset.


Troubleshoot Internet connection problems.
 
Old 12-12-2014, 10:52 PM
 
28,638 posts, read 40,617,860 times
Reputation: 37346
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Except you didn't read the posts up until when you just responded that addressed your very complaint.

Tis okay though, I understand when you just want to be a jerk
I read every post in the thread I always do. Are you always mouthing off when you're completely uninformed or is this just you being whingy in this thread?

And since you're still using your favorite "bad word" let's go over it, shall we?

Here we are at post #6. A recommendation for a printer cable.

And post #8 recommending a printer instead because those cables suck at actually working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Don't waste your time as most times it doesn't work. Just hunt for a new printer.

here are some sites to help you find one:

Slickdeals: The Best Deals, Coupons, Promo Codes & Discounts

Save with coupons and deals - get cash back today | FatWallet
And lookee here at the very next post. The OP already bought a new printer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
As it turns out, I decided to do just that and bought one only moments ago.
And your post #14 after it had been clearly stated that they already bought a new printer. All I can say is .

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
If you have a printer with a parallel port then just trash it... seriously.

USB and wireless printers are so incredibly cheap and COME with an ink cartridge (it's a starter so it's about half capacity, but still!). Just about any printer will be superior to your old one.

You don't even need to go to a tech store for something like that... just drop in at virtually any retail store.
And after I called you on not reading the posts you claim to have only missed one post. Really? Looks like a few more than one. So I have to assume the worst.

So go ahead call me a jerk again. "Sticks and stones" seems an appropriate response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Congratulations for catching that all on your own! You get a gold star

I was trying to be helpful, I missed that one post as I was doing multiple things at once. I guess you'd just like to be a jerk because you can though...

Oh well!
Nice try, but...
 
Old 12-12-2014, 11:00 PM
 
Location: USA
7,778 posts, read 10,358,216 times
Reputation: 11734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
If the take the cable that is plugged into the modem now from the old computer and plug it into the new computer, you have to wait about a minute to activate the hole in the computer. If not, unplug the power to the modem from electricity for about a minute and then give it a few minutes to reset with everything connected. If it still doesn't work you should be able to call the cable company to an electronic voice which sends out a reset signal to the modem which the process should take around five minutes to do the reset.


Troubleshoot Internet connection problems.
I'll do that tomorrow. Right now, I'm stopping. Again, I thank you!
 
Old 12-13-2014, 02:29 AM
 
Location: Derby, CT
3,587 posts, read 2,575,894 times
Reputation: 2944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I read every post in the thread I always do. Are you always mouthing off when you're completely uninformed or is this just you being whingy in this thread?

And since you're still using your favorite "bad word" let's go over it, shall we?

Here we are at post #6. A recommendation for a printer cable.



And post #8 recommending a printer instead because those cables suck at actually working.



And lookee here at the very next post. The OP already bought a new printer.



And your post #14 after it had been clearly stated that they already bought a new printer. All I can say is .



And after I called you on not reading the posts you claim to have only missed one post. Really? Looks like a few more than one. So I have to assume the worst.

So go ahead call me a jerk again. "Sticks and stones" seems an appropriate response.



Nice try, but...
What is your problem dude?

He was not clear on whether he bought a cable or a printer. He did not specify that he purchased a "printer". Both things were brought up.

All I did was provide my opinion. Do you have something against me for some unknown reason that you immediately and senselessly feel the need to rage? Take a chill pill and calm yourself pal.
 
Old 12-13-2014, 02:37 AM
 
Location: Derby, CT
3,587 posts, read 2,575,894 times
Reputation: 2944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Well according to #9, it's sort of in the gray area if the OP ordered a new printer or ordered the cable as the response could go in either direction.

Btw here's the post that you so conveniently missed, jerk.

I wasn't 100% exactly sure that he bought a printer but assumed that he did because you decided to be the raging butthole that you are. Realize that this is all over me misinterpreting a post... Seriously man.

You've decided to rage at me because of a misinterpretation and up until this point I have not interacted with you. No one else has brought it up but you, because I guess you get off on being an ass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:51 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top