U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2014, 05:50 PM

8,874 posts, read 13,816,760 times

Advertisements

I recently upgraded the Adobe Flashplayer on my computer which runs Windows 7. Not because I particularly wanted to but because I visit several websites that won't run properly if that software isn't kept up to the latest standard, even though I'm not playing games or watching videos. I assume it's because of the advertisements since these are just basic text websites other than their annoying ads.

When I installed the Flash upgrade, it loaded simultaneously with McAfee Security Scan. I was not allowed to choose if I wanted to load the second thing, it loaded WITH the Flash upgrade. I was always told one should not run two different anti-virus programs on a computer. My understanding is I am supposed to remove the old one before a new one is downloaded. My internet service provider puts a Norton Security package on my computer for free. They install a new version every two years. I have it set to run a complete scan on my computer each week and it's updated automatically at that time. I also run Spybot every two weeks and I have Adblock running on my Firefox browser all the time. I haven't had any problems with my computer recently that weren't cured by upgrading the Flash Player.

As soon as this McAfee thing was installed I started to get a daily messages saying it had discovered a "problem" on my computer and I need to download their "complete" package in order to do "the fix." Which I wouldn't doubt I would be expected to pay for ... after I downloaded it. Is there any reason I need to have this thing on my computer just because the Adobe Flash Player put it there? Is it a problem that it's running along with the Norton Security software? Will uninstalling the McAfee program do something to the Flash Player or is this just, as I expect, an annoying marketing ploy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 06:30 PM

9,088 posts, read 6,400,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I recently upgraded the Adobe Flashplayer on my computer which runs Windows 7. Not because I particularly wanted to but because I visit several websites that won't run properly if that software isn't kept up to the latest standard, even though I'm not playing games or watching videos. I assume it's because of the advertisements since these are just basic text websites other than their annoying ads.

When I installed the Flash upgrade, it loaded simultaneously with McAfee Security Scan. I was not allowed to choose if I wanted to load the second thing, it loaded WITH the Flash upgrade. I was always told one should not run two different anti-virus programs on a computer. My understanding is I am supposed to remove the old one before a new one is downloaded. My internet service provider puts a Norton Security package on my computer for free. They install a new version every two years. I have it set to run a complete scan on my computer each week and it's updated automatically at that time. I also run Spybot every two weeks and I have Adblock running on my Firefox browser all the time. I haven't had any problems with my computer recently that weren't cured by upgrading the Flash Player.

As soon as this McAfee thing was installed I started to get a daily messages saying it had discovered a "problem" on my computer and I need to download their "complete" package in order to do "the fix." Which I wouldn't doubt I would be expected to pay for ... after I downloaded it. Is there any reason I need to have this thing on my computer just because the Adobe Flash Player put it there? Is it a problem that it's running along with the Norton Security software? Will uninstalling the McAfee program do something to the Flash Player or is this just, as I expect, an annoying marketing ploy?
You suspect right - it is an annoying and sleazy marketing ploy.

I have been seeing these prompts lately to "upgrade" Flash Player, but I haven't yet and won't until/unless I'm convinced that there is a pressing need that's in my interest. I did click on it once, though, out of curiosity to see what the next screen was - and it had the McAfee Security Scan "option" with a check box that could be unchecked. That was reason enough to cancel right then and there. Chances are there is no need for any Flash update, but the pretense that there is is simply a tool used to sell other products.

Internet marketing and advertising is getting more sleazy by the day. And the push for bogus and unnecessary "security" products is what sticks in my craw the most.

There should be no problem uninstalling McAfee. If there is, it would mean the vendor co-conspirators have reached a new low.

Old 12-12-2014, 06:53 PM

2,808 posts, read 2,518,442 times
uninstall it by going to the control panel.

I always uncheck the box whenever they send me an update, go slow the next time and you will see the box to uncheck.

Old 12-12-2014, 08:31 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,670,199 times
They do ask you if you wish to install McCrappy, but it's on the webpage you download Flash from, not the Flash installer. It's sneaky, it's underhanded, and McCrappy can kiss my shiny metal ass.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:00 PM

8,874 posts, read 13,816,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
You suspect right - it is an annoying and sleazy marketing ploy.

I have been seeing these prompts lately to "upgrade" Flash Player, but I haven't yet and won't until/unless I'm convinced that there is a pressing need that's in my interest. I did click on it once, though, out of curiosity to see what the next screen was - and it had the McAfee Security Scan "option" with a check box that could be unchecked. That was reason enough to cancel right then and there. Chances are there is no need for any Flash update, but the pretense that there is is simply a tool used to sell other products.

Internet marketing and advertising is getting more sleazy by the day. And the push for bogus and unnecessary "security" products is what sticks in my craw the most.

There should be no problem uninstalling McAfee. If there is, it would mean the vendor co-conspirators have reached a new low.
Thanks for the encouragement to unintall. I'm going to do that.

I actually did avoid upgrading Flash Player for a loooong time. But I've been having trouble with slow downloads, an inability to type on an open website, and my computer laboring so hard the fan would come on like the hard drive was going to explode. The minute I would leave the site I was on, the computer would go back to normal. If I tried to stay on the site, I would get a message saying the Flash Player was "taking up too much of the memory." First off, I have TONS of memory. Second, these websites I was on were not things that should have been using much memory. Slate.com is not exactly Disney.

I tried everything I could think of to fix the problem. Checking for spyware, doing maintenance tasks, etc. Even suspecting this was related to ads running on the websites I was having trouble with. I downloaded a Firefox tool that was supposed to allow me to shut off the Flash Player on specific websites. But that didn't work either. Several people on repair sites told me I probably had an old Flash Player that was incompatible with websites running the current version. So I gave up and upgraded. The problem was, indeed, fixed immediately, but now I have other problems.

In addition to the annoying ads, I can't get on Google. If I call up Google, I get the Yahoo search engine. If I opt out of that, I get a search page from my internet provider. It's as if Google.com has disappeared from the Web. When I searched that issue online (via Yahoo, of course), I've found that MANY people are having that problem. Apparently something is suddenly blocking Google. Could it be McAfee? I'm off to uninstall.

Thanks to all of you folks for your replies.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:07 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,181,351 times
I would never use McAfee because I won't support that bums lifestyle. There are much better anti-virus programs out there than that jerks.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:05 AM

9,088 posts, read 6,400,707 times
Quote:

I actually did avoid upgrading Flash Player for a loooong time. But I've been having trouble with slow downloads, an inability to type on an open website, and my computer laboring so hard the fan would come on like the hard drive was going to explode. The minute I would leave the site I was on, the computer would go back to normal. If I tried to stay on the site, I would get a message saying the Flash Player was "taking up too much of the memory." First off, I have TONS of memory. Second, these websites I was on were not things that should have been using much memory. Slate.com is not exactly Disney.

I tried everything I could think of to fix the problem. Checking for spyware, doing maintenance tasks, etc. Even suspecting this was related to ads running on the websites I was having trouble with. I downloaded a Firefox tool that was supposed to allow me to shut off the Flash Player on specific websites. But that didn't work either. Several people on repair sites told me I probably had an old Flash Player that was incompatible with websites running the current version. So I gave up and upgraded. The problem was, indeed, fixed immediately, but now I have other problems.

In addition to the annoying ads, I can't get on Google. If I call up Google, I get the Yahoo search engine. If I opt out of that, I get a search page from my internet provider. It's as if Google.com has disappeared from the Web. When I searched that issue online (via Yahoo, of course), I've found that MANY people are having that problem. Apparently something is suddenly blocking Google. Could it be McAfee? I'm off to uninstall.

Well, I haven't updated flash player and I don't have any of those problems. But then I'm using Firefox 13 and you're probably using one of their more current downgrades. I tried them and won't touch them again with a 10-foot pole.

I have no idea what could be causing your new problems. Let us know if uninstalling McAfee makes a difference. Good luck.

Old 12-13-2014, 10:48 AM

28,638 posts, read 40,617,860 times
Quote:

Have you run Malwarebytes? Some of what you are saying describes a redirect (Google going to Yahoo, etc). Google isn't being blocked. Something is sensing your going to it and redirecting the browser to Yahoo.

How to easily remove Any Browser Redirect virus (Removal Guide)

Are you using Adblock and Noscript add ons? You should.

Old 12-14-2014, 06:47 AM

10,755 posts, read 18,013,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
I would never use McAfee because I won't support that bums lifestyle. There are much better anti-virus programs out there than that jerks.
You do realize that McCrappy is owned by Intel right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or