U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 05:13 PM

268 posts, read 218,022 times

Advertisements

I know this is a stupid question, but I really don't understand the distinction between a laptop and a tablet. I have had a series of laps, and I have a Kindle, but what, in general, makes a tablet a tablet? And what are the advantages/disadvantages?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 05:29 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,979,772 times
The technical difference between a laptop and a tablet is the form-factor (physical form). A tablet is a mobile computing device that resembles a slate with the screen and/or input on a single plane surface.

A laptop is a mobile computing device that contains input (keyboard, pointing, etc) on a different plane than the screen. Typically consisting of only two planes attached together by a hinge.

There are many tablets that can convert into a laptop by, either, attaching an additional plane or flipping the screen up and around to unveil a hidden plane.

Please note that while the structure of a tablet is always referred to as a "plane", the actual device is, indeed, a 3-dimensional device. It is not completely flat with 0 depth.

Tablets are typically smaller, and lighter. Laptops typically have more powerful hardware, but larger and heavier. Laptops have keyboards and pointing devices while tablets typically do not.

Some OS's are only available on certain kinds of devices. For example, Apple iOS is only available on tablets and phones. While Apple OSX is only available on laptops and desktops. Android can be run on both devices. Windows can be run on both devices (but not all devices run the same build of Windows). Those are just some examples.

Old 12-13-2014, 06:15 PM

Thank you for your response. Apparently Ashton Kutcher is working with the Chinese company, Lenovo, creating some sort of tablet. Wonder what that will be like. I think my first lap was a Lenovo but then, I thought, they went out of business....

Old 12-13-2014, 06:31 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,979,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happypants 3235 View Post
Thank you for your response. Apparently Ashton Kutcher is working with the Chinese company, Lenovo, creating some sort of tablet. Wonder what that will be like. I think my first lap was a Lenovo but then, I thought, they went out of business....
Lenovo is the largest PC manufacturer in the world. They also make the famous line of "ThinkPad" laptops which are popular in corporate world and known for their high quality and reliability. I personally think that the Lenovo ThinkPad Helix is one of the best all-purpose tablets around.

Old 12-13-2014, 06:33 PM

Yeah, there was a two page ad in a glossy magazine once with Yo-Yo Ma having one. I thought they quit making them for some reason. Will look on Amazon.

Old 12-14-2014, 10:50 AM

The problem with the Lenovo (and most new laps) is that I'm not seeing they have a CD slot on the side (not sure what you call that). I want the lap not just for school later but primarily, right now, to store and work with the Rosetta Stone language programs. And there are a lot of negative reports about downloading the programs, versus loading them with disks.

Are disks becoming completely outdated?

Old 12-14-2014, 10:54 AM

I'm thinking this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A2SB7F6PLETY1W

Don't know how to determine if it has a CD slot on the side.

Old 12-14-2014, 11:18 AM

3,545 posts, read 5,682,491 times
Quote:
The problem with the Lenovo (and most new laps) is that I'm not seeing they have a CD slot on the side (not sure what you call that). I want the lap not just for school later but primarily, right now, to store and work with the Rosetta Stone language programs. And there are a lot of negative reports about downloading the programs, versus loading them with disks.

Are disks becoming completely outdated?
Almost none of the newer laptops have them, especially the very thin and light ones like that.

You can get an external USB DVD drive for very little money.

Old 12-14-2014, 11:21 AM

3,545 posts, read 5,682,491 times
Quote:
I'm thinking this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A2SB7F6PLETY1W

Don't know how to determine if it has a CD slot on the side.
There isn't one.

I don't know of any of the 11" or 13" convertibles that have space for an optical drive.

Old 12-14-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
You can get an external USB DVD drive for very little money.
Can you recommend one (suitable to that laptop)? The ones on Amazon seem to have a lot of bad reports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or