Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 02:17 PM

486 posts, read 831,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Yes, schools usually employ big, mean, very violent, very hairy guys to scream at any and all women who dare to enter a programming course!

Geeesh, is this a serious question?????
No the classes of full of socially awkward and nerdy guys. Some women might like the guys you are mentioning.

For example a student had a 21 first birthday and instead of taking him to a club or bar some CS guys took him to Denny's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 04:58 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,425,413 times
Hi, I am computer programmer. In the industry I see more men in programming, but not to an extreme. My last job, we had a 50-50 ratio in Programming, zero women in networking or technical support, more women then men in IT management. I have worked for companies where all IT is mostly male, and I have both interviewed and worked for places where most of the IT department is female.

Technical training schools, I bet one can find a technical school with only Indian males in it. in other words, it depends on the school.

I have heard many times an opinion that American women are better at communications then engineering and thus women go for management faster then for the STEM. I will let you decide if this opinion is sexist or untrue.

Old 01-02-2015, 04:24 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,833,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happypants 3235 View Post
This may be a silly question, I don't know, but in your experience/opinion are women very prevalent and welcome in, say, community college programs in programming, CIS, security? Rare? Hard on them?
Female. I am going to say "It varies."

Unless your area has some prevalent culture ( lower socioeconomic, ethnic, Catholic, blue collar, whatever) that is biased toward "women should stay home with their babies" there is no reason to expect there to be antifemale attitude in college STEM courses. In my area, there is a heavy atmosphere of old world Mediterranean and Eastern Europe Catholicism dictating old-fashioned homemaker / mother lifestyle, so I did run into some pissy male students when I attended college here. But when I moved to larger, affluent, Protestant city with lots of corporate sci/tech people, the culture there was welcoming and opportunities abounded. So , look at the local people because whatcha see there is what you'll get in community college.

I' m not in IT but did look at as career change. It's more "young person 's game" and middle age of any gender can find themselves squeezed out. You have to keep up and always be training for the next technology or programming language. I can see any STEM field being less friendly to mamas, because in any tech field, you don't drop in/out of workforce for babies the way, say, nurses can and do. Many dual career tech parents I know used nannies and daycare. And their kids all turned out fine.
I don't like to sit for hours on end. That's another thing to consider.

Old 01-03-2015, 02:23 PM

Don't confuse STEM industry with individual dirt-bags. For example my best friend's wife is an accountant, she got her Maternity Leave from Neuberger Berman and then she was fired when she came back. I have refused to Interview with that company on more then one occasion following that incident. Obviously I make more then 45k + benefits that she made there. So when STEM workers refuse to interview with your organization, you should figure there is somethign wrong with your reputation.

In my previous position in a health insurance company, no one would question your rights to legitimate benefits that are a part of your compensation package.

In my current position, every-one gets paid an hourly wage and there are no benefits. If you want to take time off, it's at your own expense.

In STEM we work with dead lines, a high visibility project will be assigned to some-one who is likely to do a good job on it, so there is a female that just got married and talking about having kids and me with the seniority. The important project will be assigned to me, if I do a good job on it, I will get a promotion. We would expect the female to be more focused on her kids then her career during this stage of her life. So work load and promotions simply reflect that.

In my experience, financial sector has the worst reputation and I avoid fiance like a plague.

In STEM, if I want a job that has great benefits I can get a job with great benefits, and if I want to maximize my cash, I have that option as well. Either way, I can not just take time off without first considering project schedules and the responsibility that comes with my job.

All my life people are trying to convince me that I don't work for a dollar bill, that I owe them something, that I have a duty to them. They been trying to get me involved in their B.S. I remember Catholics that insisted that I owe to them to work weekends without over time pay. Nope, sorry, I work for a dollar bill. I have a clear job description, and I can deny my services to any-one I choose to, for any reason. But I also seen allot people that get caught up with the B.S. I have seen managers spread BS. For about 100k a year, I work 9-5, those are my hours. If I am to stay till 6, then I am owed 1 hour, either pay me for the hour or let me take that hour off later.

Old 01-03-2015, 02:55 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
Don't confuse STEM industry with individual dirt-bags. For example my best friend's wife is an accountant, she got her Maternity Leave from Neuberger Berman and then she was fired when she came back. I have refused to Interview with that company on more then one occasion following that incident. Obviously I make more then 45k + benefits that she made there. So when STEM workers refuse to interview with your organization, you should figure there is somethign wrong with your reputation.

In my previous position in a health insurance company, no one would question your rights to legitimate benefits that are a part of your compensation package.

In my current position, every-one gets paid an hourly wage and there are no benefits. If you want to take time off, it's at your own expense.

In STEM we work with dead lines, a high visibility project will be assigned to some-one who is likely to do a good job on it, so there is a female that just got married and talking about having kids and me with the seniority. The important project will be assigned to me, if I do a good job on it, I will get a promotion. We would expect the female to be more focused on her kids then her career during this stage of her life. So work load and promotions simply reflect that.

In my experience, financial sector has the worst reputation and I avoid fiance like a plague.

In STEM, if I want a job that has great benefits I can get a job with great benefits, and if I want to maximize my cash, I have that option as well. Either way, I can not just take time off without first considering project schedules and the responsibility that comes with my job.

All my life people are trying to convince me that I don't work for a dollar bill, that I owe them something, that I have a duty to them. They been trying to get me involved in their B.S. I remember Catholics that insisted that I owe to them to work weekends without over time pay. Nope, sorry, I work for a dollar bill. I have a clear job description, and I can deny my services to any-one I choose to, for any reason. But I also seen allot people that get caught up with the B.S. I have seen managers spread BS. For about 100k a year, I work 9-5, those are my hours. If I am to stay till 6, then I am owed 1 hour, either pay me for the hour or let me take that hour off later.
I must say, you have an odd way of using the term STEM. Exactly what hourly options does your typical mathematician have?

Old 01-03-2015, 04:01 PM

I have also noticed that people who are good in math are bad with numbers, while people who are good with numbers are bad in math.

The only Mathematician I know personally did her PHD in Economic statistics or something like that, now a professor of a University.

Hold on,
My dad's friend, he has an advanced math degree, but was working in computer programming for a hedge fund in Chicago. So a helicopter would pick him at his home in NJ and fly him to the meetings in Chicago, I think the personal helicopter was a job perk.

I think that a true value of Applied Mathematics is the ability to apply mathematics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers