U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 10:38 PM

21,540 posts, read 24,684,398 times

Advertisements

According to the info in #1 they should have replaced the power supply too. Hard drives will fail after a certain point of sudden shut downs and restarts and many will not show an error code, but will show some errors during chkdsk. Many shops don't invest in the correct diagnostic software that runs long tests and logs everything. Let the power loses happen enough times, after awhile it will kill the motherboard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 10:42 PM

13,483 posts, read 25,864,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
What exactly was the basis for the diagnosis of "hard drive failure"....did they run a diagnostic on the drive??????????????
I'm sure they did, but it's not on the invoice. I'll ask when I take it in.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:50 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,110,846 times
They should have been able to use diagnostic program to tested the hard drive on that computer. What you describe is exactly what is experienced in hard drive starting to fail.

Old 12-17-2014, 06:40 PM

My computer is back. The manager said that he ran it all day, used different programs, and it behaved normally. So now I'll be monitoring it to see what happens. I have two memory sticks that I keep in the computer, but I'll keep them out for now, and put them back one at a time. He said that the High Usage Alert comes from Norton, so if I get another one, I'll be calling Norton to see what they say. If necessary, I'll get rid of Norton.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:18 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,110,846 times
The high usage is just a alert ;nothing else. Its not going to disappear as to usage getting something else. High usage is high useage.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:02 PM

Of course it's high usage. When I'm home, I'm online doing things, not just on here.

Old 12-18-2014, 01:37 AM

Brought the computer home, put all the cords back on, this was around 4pm. At 11:00, it did it again. The screen went black, the computer turned itself off, then back on, and I got the following message, which I took a photo of. I also just got the IE error message. Naturally in the shop, it behaves perfectly.

I don't know what to do, and I wasn't planning to replace it just yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Computer Problems - HP Pavilion-shut-down.jpg  

Old 12-18-2014, 07:48 AM

249 posts, read 230,626 times
You have several options. First, if you can, save all of your important files.

1) do a restore from a previous restore date (assuming you created a restore point(s) or do a complete re-install of Windows 7
2) get rid of Norton's anything and install Microsoft Security Essentials, and MalwareBytes (do this anyway)

If the above doesn't work:

3) don't know if you're tech savvy enough, but remove the hard drive and attach it to another computer as a secondary drive, then run separate scans on your HD with the latest definitions of MSE, MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSpyware (all free)
4) if that doesn't do it, try running ComboFix. Just be very careful with this one.

In any event, find out EXACTLY what they did at the fixit shop. They should have done what I recommended before charging you for replacing the HD.

I was in the IT field for nearly 40 years in an educational environment and I have seen just about every issue. Believe me, try what I suggested (if you can).

Disclaimer, it could be the HD, power supply, heat issue, or messy driver. I doubt it. I have seen BSOD many times and more times than not it was caused by virus or malware. Good luck, and let us know how you make out.

BTW, I have been fixing folks' computers for many years, and have never charged a penny to fix them. There have been times when it's been a hardware issue, but the vast majority have been Trojan, virus, malware, etc. Only one time was I unable to fix a computer, and it was hardware related due to misuse by the owner. No brag, just fact.

EDIT: just re-read your post. Question, did the shop do a clean Windows 7 install when they put in the new HD, or did they clone the old HD? As I said, find out everything that they did.

Last edited by Cuzzant; 12-18-2014 at 08:35 AM..

Old 12-18-2014, 11:04 AM

21,540 posts, read 24,684,398 times
The shop lied to you. Take it back to them with the new photo and demand a refund. Then take that refund and replace the computer. The shop thinks you have deep pockets and the computer is turning into a money pit.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:22 AM

18,546 posts, read 55,477,958 times
There is a somewhat unusual possibility that could be part of the logic tree. If you mains power at home has low voltage periods, it could go beyond the ability of a weak computer power supply to compensate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or