U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 08:20 PM

13,481 posts, read 25,864,067 times

Advertisements

The surge protector is now plugged into an extension cord which is plugged into the outlet behind the couch. Now I'm just waiting to see if anything happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 09:46 PM

28,627 posts, read 40,609,166 times
My deleted comment was about replacing surge protectors. Do this if you've had them for a while. Depending on the reliability of your electrical supply they may be damaged or worn out.

And the PC power cable as well.

And the earlier ? about kitchen was likely regarding telling you not to use a kitchen outlet.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:42 PM

The surge protector is two years old. I replaced the old one when I bought this computer. The PC power cable is also two years old.

I wouldn't use a kitchen outlet anyway, it's just not feasible or practical. One is next to the sink, the other is by the refrigerator where I plug in any small appliance that I'm going to use.

So far it's been ok, but I'll see if anything happens with it tonight or tomorrow.

Old 12-19-2014, 04:39 PM

16,420 posts, read 13,326,998 times
So far, so good?

Old 12-19-2014, 06:15 PM

So far, it hasn't shut down on me. Last night I got an IE error message, and a High Usage Alert. But I'm still waiting to see what happens.

Old 12-19-2014, 11:08 PM

Old 12-20-2014, 03:55 AM

Your computer needs as much memory as possible.
Norton runs Internet Explorer in separate tabs, using your memory up too much.

You should uninstall Norton and never get it again...if you can uninstall it. I hate Norton.

Chrome, which is a web browser that will help with your memory/IE problem, is an option that could help you.

Also, if you look into your Norton settings, you can exclude Internet Explorer from Performance Monitoring.

Old 12-20-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Your computer needs as much memory as possible.
Norton runs Internet Explorer in separate tabs, using your memory up too much.

You should uninstall Norton and never get it again...if you can uninstall it. I hate Norton.

Chrome, which is a web browser that will help with your memory/IE problem, is an option that could help you.

Also, if you look into your Norton settings, you can exclude Internet Explorer from Performance Monitoring.

WTH? Norton runs Internet Explorer in separate tabs? Where do people come up with this stuff? IE runs IE in separate tabs. Norton only monitors it. Fer the love of...

And yes you can exclude IE from monitoring. It doesn't mean the high usage will go away. It just means you won't get notified.

I see more uninformed "facts" in this forum than anywhere else except the political.

Old 12-21-2014, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
WTH? Norton runs Internet Explorer in separate tabs? Where do people come up with this stuff? IE runs IE in separate tabs. Norton only monitors it. Fer the love of...

And yes you can exclude IE from monitoring. It doesn't mean the high usage will go away. It just means you won't get notified.

I see more uninformed "facts" in this forum than anywhere else except the political.

Oh, gee, here comes the bullying ^^^.
So I made a minor error when I said that Norton runs IE.

At least I'm here, trying to help someone out and not just dishing out ridicule from some imaginary throne.
I hesitated to even post in this forum and rarely ever do - all because of you and a couple of others, who are more interested in who's the smartest and not really here to participate at all.

I tried searching for some helpful answers for the OP and I found this:

https://community.norton.com/en/foru...sage-message-0

Looks more helpful, to me, than your spew.
I don't find you anywhere near as smart as you proclaim to be.
I won't bother to post in this forum anymore. Thanks.

Old 12-21-2014, 11:55 PM

16,990 posts, read 17,156,343 times
Do a CTL-ALT-DEL...........then click onto the various resource tabs at the top of the window. This way you will get a very good idea of both how much resources are being used in total.....and how much of these resources are being used by each program.

Many times some things that use resources...will very-much change how much resources they use. If these surges in resource-usage become unstable and excessive.......you can have lots of weird problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or