Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 09:06 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,311,390 times

Advertisements

My computer was giving me problems for some time, and one day I got up, tired to log in, and was told that my password was invalid, so I took it in for repairs.

I would be using it and suddenly, the screen would go black, it go off, then come back on with an error message (#2), tell me that it was shut down improperly, and did I want to start Windows again normally or in safe mode. Along with that I get the other two error messages. I took pictures of all of them every time it happened, but don't have them anymore.

I picked it up after six days in the shop, they put in a new hard drive (2T), said it had viruses, and cleaned it out of dirt and dust for me. That cost $251, and the next day, it started doing it all over again.

It's an HP Pavilion with Windows 7 in it, and will be two years old on December 15. Even though I have the $$, I wasn't planning to replace it just yet.

I haven't called the shop again. I wanted to monitor it and see what it did, but will try to call them tomorrow when I get off from work.

Any suggestions? TIA!
Attached Thumbnails
Computer Problems - HP Pavilion-computer-problem-1.jpg   Computer Problems - HP Pavilion-computer-problem-2.jpg   Computer Problems - HP Pavilion-computer-problem-3.jpg  

Last edited by moved; 12-14-2014 at 10:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2014, 11:02 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,579,035 times
You can see a LOT of information by going to event viewer:

start > control panel > type "event viewer" in upper right search box >
click on "view event logs > in the upper left of your screen click on "custom views" >
click on "administrative events" > read information in the center-top and center-middle of your screen.

Even if you don't understand all of the explanations listened.....you will probably be able to get an idea if your problem is hardware or software related.

Use you senses.........do you see, hear, smell or feel anything unusual with your computer, especially right before it shuts down?

Do you get regular updates for Windows and other products, are they automatically installed, when is the last time you did a full Windows update????????

It sounds to me like you have problems similar to the one's I have. Mine is caused by wacky, poorly designed installation software and some really poor designed, unstable driver software.
The truth is many of the PC makers do a very poor job putting together their installation software.

I have honestly wanted to get a clean-installation of Windows for a long time.......that is probably my best solution to a very, very buggy and poorly implemented software package. The jumbled mess that many PC makers turn their installation-software into is very pathetic IMHO.....it is the cause of a LOT of poor performance, computer shutdowns, blue screens of death and overall buggy/less than optimal performance.

Old 12-15-2014, 12:48 AM

Do you see, hear, smell or feel anything unusual with your computer, especially right before it shuts down?
Nothing unusual happens right before it shuts down. I'll be using it as I usually do, and it shuts down, then comes back up right away.

Do you get regular updates for Windows and other products, are they automatically installed, when is the last time you did a full Windows update????????

I get updates on a regular basis and they're automatically installed, and I don't know when I did a full Windows update.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Do you see, hear, smell or feel anything unusual with your computer, especially right before it shuts down?
Nothing unusual happens right before it shuts down. I'll be using it as I usually do, and it shuts down, then comes back up right away.

I get updates on a regular basis and they're automatically installed, and I don't know when I did a full Windows update.

OK then, here is a couple of more suggestions:

control panel > type in "memory" in the upper right corner box >
click on "diagnose my computers memory problems" > select option and run program.

open Windows Explorer > right-click your main drive (probably C:\) >
click on Properties > click on "error checking" > run disk check program.

Here is a command line program that can make repairs
to corrupt software:
right click Windows "start" icon > click on "command prompt (admin) > type in the following string and hit enter " sfc/scannow".

Do the same steps as above but type in the string as follows:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Unfortunately if you come up clean on everything above, I suspect you just have a very crummy set of system software. This problems is kinda common........the PC manufacturers cram so much stuff onto the system and many times it is not put together very well. The solution is probably going to be getting a clean-install of Windows without all the junk that the manufacturers put with your PC software.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:50 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,127,429 times
It could be overheating. The CPU can be forcing a halt state to stop generating heat.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:44 AM

The shop will be getting called if I can do it at lunchtime today, if not, after work.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:57 AM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times
Two most likely suspects for sudden shutdown - heat (bad CPU or power supply fan, thermal contact with heat sink not sufficient, dust buildup) and power supply. If it has been to a shop already, my GUESS would be power supply.

Old 12-15-2014, 11:30 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,858,086 times
Quote:
My computer was giving me problems for some time, and one day I got up, tired to log in, and was told that my password was invalid, so I took it in for repairs.

I would be using it and suddenly, the screen would go black, it go off, then come back on with an error message (#2), tell me that it was shut down improperly, and did I want to start Windows again normally or in safe mode. Along with that I get the other two error messages. I took pictures of all of them every time it happened, but don't have them anymore.

I picked it up after six days in the shop, they put in a new hard drive (2T), said it had viruses, and cleaned it out of dirt and dust for me. That cost $251, and the next day, it started doing it all over again.

It's an HP Pavilion with Windows 7 in it, and will be two years old on December 15. Even though I have the $$, I wasn't planning to replace it just yet.

I haven't called the shop again. I wanted to monitor it and see what it did, but will try to call them tomorrow when I get off from work.

Any suggestions? TIA!
HP usually include a recovery partition with their computers, where it can be used to reset the computer the way it was the day it was shipped, I'm not sure why they had to replace the hard drive because of a virus, assuming the drive did not have any internal problems, replacing it was most likely not necessary.

With the images you posted, finding the cause of those issues is like trying to find the proverbial needle in an ocean.. there are too many possibilities and it's probably better to have the repair facility evaluate the computer, assuming they have competent individuals who know what they're doing.

There has also been reported problems with some of Microsoft's updates lately, some of which were problems similar to the ones you described, that might be something the repair facility should look into to determine if one of the updates were installed in your computer. I also hope they have a warranty/guarantee for the repairs you paid $251 for.

Good luck.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:56 PM

There's no dust or dirt buildup because I had it cleaned out just for that reason. I called the shop, and it's going back in either tomorrow or Wednesday. The hard drive was replaced because it was failing.

When it comes back, I'll post what they said, and yes, they're very competent.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:31 PM

Quote:
There's no dust or dirt buildup because I had it cleaned out just for that reason. I called the shop, and it's going back in either tomorrow or Wednesday. The hard drive was replaced because it was failing.

When it comes back, I'll post what they said, and yes, they're very competent.

What exactly was the basis for the diagnosis of "hard drive failure"....did they run a diagnostic on the drive??????????????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers