Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 04:08 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times

Advertisements

Low end Toshiba laptop went black and died while using it.
Lights flicker a few times then go out and it won't even begin to load Windows.
Tried disconnecting everything, removed battery,etc. I did this several times , each time for longer periods and still the same. It won't boot to anything.
I just hate giving up in case I didn't think of something since I confess to not having saved documents in the last several months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2014, 04:19 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,796,334 times
If the lights keep going out, it is not a bad display and you can't just plug it into an external monitor.

Taking out the old hard drive should be pretty easy if you know how to use a screw driver. A usb cable to plug it into a new computer should be around $10 or less.

Old 12-20-2014, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
If the lights keep going out, it is not a bad display and you can't just plug it into an external monitor.

Taking out the old hard drive should be pretty easy if you know how to use a screw driver. A usb cable to plug it into a new computer should be around $10 or less.

You're saying you think the HD is probably still good and I can lift what I want off it by doing that?

Old 12-20-2014, 05:41 AM

16,662 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
You're saying you think the HD is probably still good and I can lift what I want off it by doing that?
Yes. Although I think the connecting cable cost a little more than that. I recently bought an Apricorn adapter cable for a laptop hard drive that even powers the hard drive and comes with cloning software, but it cost ~$27-$28.

You CAN buy an external hard drive enclosure for a laptop hard drive for ~$10.00

Put your ear down to the laptop when you turn it on. If you hear a repeated clicking sound, the hard drive may have failed, but, multiple sudden failures being rare, and your description of a blank display being symptomatic of some system-wide failure, my guess is that your hard drive has survived.

Old 12-20-2014, 06:09 AM

Thanks both of you .Hate to go farther with the 'confession' but have had a new thumb drive sitting here for a couple of months.
One thing I excel at is procrastination

Old 12-20-2014, 06:40 AM

16,662 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:
Thanks both of you .Hate to go farther with the 'confession' but have had a new thumb drive sitting here for a couple of months.
One thing I excel at is procrastination
Two thoughts come to mind:

1. Everybody needs to be good at SOMETHING. (Yours is procrastination.)

2. You don't want to rush into anything.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:34 AM

Can't send you a smile via rep Mensaguy so here it is

Old 12-20-2014, 11:48 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Take out charger, then battery, and hold down power button for 20 seconds, insert battery, then charger and make sure charger is plugged into main power supply and not extension cord plug etc.

Old 12-21-2014, 12:21 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,796,334 times
Quote:
Yes, most of the time, if the hard drive was bad, the computer will boot and say it can't find the hard drive to boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Yes. Although I think the connecting cable cost a little more than that. I recently bought an Apricorn adapter cable for a laptop hard drive that even powers the hard drive and comes with cloning software, but it cost ~$27-$28.
Mine didn't come with cloning software of even a nice box but cost me only $6.00 locally, if I would have order it online , the shipping would have cost more then the cable itself. It does have two usb plugs to get extra power to power 2.5 in drives. It is only USB 2.0 not 3.0 which is probably why it is so cheap.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:14 AM

Giving it another chance by following Tek_Freek 's directions in order...something I couldn't be sure I had done exactly that way...the thing has started just fine.
I don't know if I want to embarrass myself to the extent it would take to tell you what I discovered during this procedure.
Let's say it's comparable to calling the TV repairman and having him tell you it was unplugged.
Actually, it's not comparable, it's exactly the case.
So, now I have both a functional machine plus a new one and having to decide whether or not it should return it.

edited to add....searching this forum shows that this happened back in April also.
The computer's memory is a lot better than mine. That thread shows I said it was 4 years old at the time. I've been thinking it's only a little less than 3.
Guess I better keep the new one and save what I want while I have the opportunity.
(Nobody sells memory cards for me, do they?)

Last edited by old_cold; 12-21-2014 at 07:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers