U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-23-2014, 03:22 PM
 
1,645 posts, read 3,086,701 times
Reputation: 1981

Advertisements

I have a computer that has seen a lot of action over the last 6 years with downloading music, thousands of files and pictures, missing extensions, registry errors, etc. It has gotten to the point where it was bogging down so badly that it would take 10 seconds to open a program, and there were so many programs running in the background, you could barely do anything. I would occasionally run disk defragmenter, CC cleaner, spyware programs, etc, and it wouldn't make a difference.
Normally, I would discard the computer and call it old. Instead, I saved all of my pictures and files to an external harddrive and reinstalled Windows with the original CD that came with the computer. This thing is like new with nothing lagging the computer! I have 4 icons on my desktop and a handful of icons in the Start menu. No bloated hardware that comes with new computers. I should have done this a long time ago! The only difficult part was getting my network adapter (Wifi antenna) to work, but I found the installation CD that comes with it and reinstalled the driver for it. I should have done this a year ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-23-2014, 03:48 PM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
11,849 posts, read 13,973,633 times
Reputation: 8083
I've done it more times then I can count. Yea, that's exactly the result 95% of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2014, 06:41 PM
 
Location: Wooster, Ohio
1,086 posts, read 831,509 times
Reputation: 1624
I run at least 2 hard drives and 2 operating systems (currently Windows XP & Windows XP x64). I keep text files that tell step by step what programs and drivers I have installed. Reinstalling an operating system means making sure the other drive has all the files I want to save, formatting, and following my text file. My text files contain helpful hints, such as that Internet Explorer has to be the default browser in order to active Microsoft Office.

It takes me a couple of days to get everything back the way it was before. I avoid using any programs that object to being reinstalled, such as OEM operating systems and programs that have to be deactivated and then reactivated in order to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2014, 07:00 PM
 
40,290 posts, read 41,836,137 times
Reputation: 16800
It was a yearly ritual with Win 95/98. With XP perhaps every three years. Probably won't be doing it with 7 or 8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
I run at least 2 hard drives and 2 operating systems (currently Windows XP & Windows XP x64). I keep text files that tell step by step what programs and drivers I have installed. Reinstalling an operating system means making sure the other drive has all the files I want to save, formatting, and following my text file. My text files contain helpful hints, such as that Internet Explorer has to be the default browser in order to active Microsoft Office.

It takes me a couple of days to get everything back the way it was before. I avoid using any programs that object to being reinstalled, such as OEM operating systems and programs that have to be deactivated and then reactivated in order to work.

Once you get a clean install, updated and everything installed you can image the drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2014, 10:38 PM
Status: "Psychological-Comfort-Pitbull" (set 29 days ago)
 
Location: Brawndo-Thirst-Mutilator-Nation
17,018 posts, read 17,164,159 times
Reputation: 13322
I've done it plenty of times!

It CAN be a really great thing to get a newish feel on your old PC. The problem is it does not always work that way.

My current PO$ laptop came with a, well, less than quality installation
software- package. So I actually end up gettin better performance as I work out the bugs that come with the fresh-install nightmare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2014, 11:00 AM
 
Location: Tyler, TX
15,210 posts, read 18,497,278 times
Reputation: 8052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
How many have reinstalled Windows on old comp?
Everyone that posts in this forum has done it... Yep, it's a great way to speed things up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2014, 08:17 PM
 
Location: Southern California
4,448 posts, read 5,452,894 times
Reputation: 2209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
The only difficult part was getting my network adapter (Wifi antenna) to work, but I found the installation CD that comes with it and reinstalled the driver for it. I should have done this a year ago.
Instead of keeping installation CDs around, copy and keep them with your data and back them up.

Since you stuff in already backed up, you might want to learn how to make a disk image backup using Clonezillia or Acronis, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2014, 10:56 PM
 
Location: Greater NYC, USA
2,760 posts, read 2,821,574 times
Reputation: 1723
This year (2014), my tower's hard drive got corrupted, so I had to get a new hard drive and install stuff.

I am a computer programmer by trade, if I consider the time it would take me to reinstall and customize the whole mess on my computer, it's easier to just diagnose and fix the problem.

From seeing other people's PC's, from time to time those need to be cleaned. I often seen PC's that have like 5 versions of antivirus installed taking up resources, of course people attract add-ware and popups. But we are speeding up, the software we are running takes up more resources, with 2 gigs of ram you don't get to complain that your computer is slow. I use 8 gigs of ram on all of my machines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2014, 11:12 PM
 
15,924 posts, read 17,656,019 times
Reputation: 7645
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
This year (2014), my tower's hard drive got corrupted, so I had to get a new hard drive and install stuff.

I am a computer programmer by trade, if I consider the time it would take me to reinstall and customize the whole mess on my computer, it's easier to just diagnose and fix the problem.

From seeing other people's PC's, from time to time those need to be cleaned. I often seen PC's that have like 5 versions of antivirus installed taking up resources, of course people attract add-ware and popups. But we are speeding up, the software we are running takes up more resources, with 2 gigs of ram you don't get to complain that your computer is slow. I use 8 gigs of ram on all of my machines.
If your HD got "corrupted" and you are a "computer programmer by trade" why didn't you just reinitialize the HD and restore from backups?

Thats what us non-techie types would do...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2014, 09:43 AM
 
Location: Derby, CT
3,587 posts, read 2,575,894 times
Reputation: 2944
In the past, old beatup PC's would just be converted to Linux boxes and become fileservers or any other random whatever the hell I want server lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:05 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top