U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-24-2014, 02:18 PM
 
Location: Northeast Tennessee
7,305 posts, read 23,791,751 times
Reputation: 5494

Advertisements

Thanks for the additional replies/info. Well today I was talking about this to some friends at work and they all say I should get a laptop... something like the MacBook Pro or HP Envy. My parents both use laptops, but I have never had one, so I don't know. It may take some getting used to. I wonder what a fast laptop would be?

To be honest, I really don't do much on the computer other than visiting sites like this. Honestly I only really go to Craigslist classifieds for cars, this website, national weather service, and a couple of car forums and that is it. I may also go to some new car websites. This site works very fast on here. I am leaving now, so I will explore more with the speed of this thing later. I have until January 15th to take it back for a full refund/exchange. I also use Facebook quite often and it is (or was last night) very slow with this system. Maybe it was the site. I will try it again later. Also a Subaru site I use is very slow compared to my recently crashed Gateway all-in-one. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-24-2014, 03:02 PM
 
Location: The Berk in Denver, CO USA
14,391 posts, read 21,075,024 times
Reputation: 23913
Default I am a Mac bigot, but...

The HP you bought costs $500.
The cheapest iMac is $1000 and has smaller screen.

The HP you bought is probably loaded with bloatware (software installed at the factory that serves no useful purpose other than to lower the price of the machine). Macs do not come with bloatware.

The HP is probably running some anti-virus software that is slowing things down. Macs do not come with AV software.

A $1000 HP machine will run much faster.

It comes down to comfort level.

Do not get a laptop. You don't need the portability and you pay extra for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2014, 05:50 PM
 
24,503 posts, read 35,979,772 times
Reputation: 12852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Thanks for the additional replies/info. Well today I was talking about this to some friends at work and they all say I should get a laptop... something like the MacBook Pro or HP Envy. My parents both use laptops, but I have never had one, so I don't know. It may take some getting used to. I wonder what a fast laptop would be?

To be honest, I really don't do much on the computer other than visiting sites like this. Honestly I only really go to Craigslist classifieds for cars, this website, national weather service, and a couple of car forums and that is it. I may also go to some new car websites. This site works very fast on here. I am leaving now, so I will explore more with the speed of this thing later. I have until January 15th to take it back for a full refund/exchange. I also use Facebook quite often and it is (or was last night) very slow with this system. Maybe it was the site. I will try it again later. Also a Subaru site I use is very slow compared to my recently crashed Gateway all-in-one. Thanks!
I recommend that everyone gets a laptop instead of a desktop unless they have a need to a desktop. Today's laptops plenty fast. You can connect a regular keyboard, mouse and monitor to a laptop and you won't even know you have one. Laptops also use less power and are portable when you need them to be.

Generally, a laptop will be more expensive than a desktop for the same level of hardware.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2014, 07:23 PM
 
28,638 posts, read 40,617,860 times
Reputation: 37346
I never remember the name, but I know someone here will. There is a software program that will remove the bloatware easily.

What is it?

That's the first thing I'd do, OP. All the crap they load for "your convenience" does slow down a computer. And let us know what anti virus software is on it. You will get plenty of differing opinions of what to replace it with (or even keep it) from posters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2014, 09:29 PM
 
Location: Northeast Tennessee
7,305 posts, read 23,791,751 times
Reputation: 5494
Thanks for the additional replies. I am not sure how I check that anti-virus they put in, etc. What ever it was they did was included in the $249.00 3 year protection plan I got.

Whats more is now that when I go to the "Subaru" forum and start to type a message in a post like this, after about 2 minutes, it will take me back to the previous page automatically and I lose all I type!

Out of frustration I called the "geeksquad" earlier and the lady kept trying to get a popup screen to pop up so she could remote into my system to see why it was slow, but when I clicked on it, the screen would go black. Also, when I try to watch a video on Facebook, or on IIHS car crash website, it will show a green box.

I must say I am very dissatisfied with this HP desktop. I have until 1-15-15 to take it back for a full refund and I will likely do that. I just need something faster. Now just have to decide if I want another desktop, all-in-one desktop or a nice laptop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2014, 09:35 PM
 
Location: Denver
9,356 posts, read 16,140,471 times
Reputation: 5625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Thanks for the additional replies. I am not sure how I check that anti-virus they put in, etc. What ever it was they did was included in the $249.00 3 year protection plan I got.

Whats more is now that when I go to the "Subaru" forum and start to type a message in a post like this, after about 2 minutes, it will take me back to the previous page automatically and I lose all I type!

Out of frustration I called the "geeksquad" earlier and the lady kept trying to get a popup screen to pop up so she could remote into my system to see why it was slow, but when I clicked on it, the screen would go black. Also, when I try to watch a video on Facebook, or on IIHS car crash website, it will show a green box.

I must say I am very dissatisfied with this HP desktop. I have until 1-15-15 to take it back for a full refund and I will likely do that. I just need something faster. Now just have to decide if I want another desktop, all-in-one desktop or a nice laptop.
If you have a Virus Scan app like McAffee on there run a full system scan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2014, 10:19 AM
 
Location: Southern California
4,448 posts, read 5,452,894 times
Reputation: 2209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I never remember the name, but I know someone here will. There is a software program that will remove the bloatware easily.

What is it?

That's the first thing I'd do, OP. All the crap they load for "your convenience" does slow down a computer. And let us know what anti virus software is on it. You will get plenty of differing opinions of what to replace it with (or even keep it) from posters.
Decrapifier
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2014, 12:07 PM
 
993 posts, read 1,415,505 times
Reputation: 1646
Seriously, if you have not set up your own pc before it is worthwhile to take it to the Geek Squad (the other stores like Stples will do it too) and let them set it up to your liking. You can ask them to remove the bloatware, remove the installed anti-virus software but ask them to set up Windows Defender with auto scanning, they can set your controls for brightness/shutting down when idle/how it will connect to your internet/etc, set up some auto updates. Just tell them how you are using the pc and for what purposes and most good tech guys know what settings you need. Computers, modems, routers all have lots of settings for those who want to use them. But if you don't know how to adjust them it is best left to someone who does. And to be clear, that is not always things like Geek Squad. My daughter found hers to be horrible where she goes to college. Seh needed a minor part replaced and they broke her computer, ended up replacing it with a new one. So I would ask co-workers, friends, people you trust who they go to.
There are so many things that affect the speed of your computer that I don't think it can all be addressed on the forum. Even if you went to the Decrapify website, would you know how to use it? Most people do not know how to even turn on/off their anti-virus program. All of those things, and more, are imacting our speed in addition to the processor. We have HP's all over our house (I think we are up to 5 HP laptops now) and processors matter. We all have i5 and i7 processors in our HPs. But I just bought my husband a laptop with an AMD A10 processor and he is very happy with it. He does general internet surfing, email, and flys some flight simulator games. But then I took the time to clean out all the unneccessary crud, adjust the settings, add on some auto scanning for bugs as he is not the safest surfer. Before doing anything we made a back up of the original product on an external hard drive that is not kept at our house (if there's a fire or flood you want to have a copy somewhere else, like a friend's house or in the cloud) so that we can re-boot the computer if ever necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2014, 01:31 PM
 
Location: London, U.K.
3,036 posts, read 3,378,303 times
Reputation: 1723
The imac is actually upgradable. But you have to take the screen out to do it which is a pain in the arse. I'd normally recommend a mac mini as a 'low end' desktop computer, but apples ruined the current generation. If you can get a 2012 mac mini for around $400 or so add an apple keyboard, mouse/trackpad and a decent monitor then you'll have a nice cost effective and upgradable system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2014, 03:32 PM
 
28,638 posts, read 40,617,860 times
Reputation: 37346
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
Decrapifier
Thanks. Honestly, you'd think with a name like that I'd remember it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:57 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top