U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 09:05 PM

7,305 posts, read 23,785,612 times

Advertisements

Thanks again for the other info and updates. I ran one of those internet speed tests from our local provider and it was very low compared to my parents laptops.

I also realized this desktop can run off of the wireless network. I disconnected it and it was even slower, but seemed to work faster if that makes any sense.

With that said, I may call HP tomorrow instead of Geeksquad and see what they say, but likely, I am taking it back for a refund/exchange and will get something else.

I am wondering if I went with a laptop, if this would be faster than what I have now? I think the one I have now is 2.0?

I am not sure about the processors... is the higher the number, the faster the processor? It shows the one below is 1.7, so would it be even slower?

HP ENVY x360 2in1 15.6" TouchScreen Laptop Intel Core i5 8GB Memory 750GB Hard Drive 15-u010dx - Best Buy

... or would this be better?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-envy-...&skuId=6647029

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 08:52 AM

13,324 posts, read 20,371,757 times
A faster computer will not make the internet go faster.

Old 12-26-2014, 06:37 PM

True. Our internet is fast... the computer is slow.

My last computer (the recently crashed all-in-one Gateway) was 2x faster than this HP, as are my parents laptops that are 4+ years old.

What is even more annoying about this HP is that if you move the mouse pointer to the edge of the screen and keep going to the left/right with it... you have the move it back the other way just as far to get it to reappear. I have never had a computer do that before. Now it has got to where it will stop at the edge to the left, but to the right it will go on and on.

Old 12-26-2014, 07:38 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,968,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post

My last computer (the recently crashed all-in-one Gateway) was 2x faster than this HP, as are my parents laptops that are 4+ years old.

What is even more annoying about this HP is that if you move the mouse pointer to the edge of the screen and keep going to the left/right with it... you have the move it back the other way just as far to get it to reappear. I have never had a computer do that before. Now it has got to where it will stop at the edge to the left, but to the right it will go on and on.
What model was your gateway and what model was is your parent's laptop? We can look up the hardware to confirm that this is, indeed, true.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:33 PM

Thanks! To be honest I have no idea. I do know that they are both faster than this new HP desktop I recently purchased, as was my old Gateway all-in-one that was two years old. Like someone said, it may be all of the "bloat ware" they added. I didn't even know what that was until I came here. lol.

If I had that removed from this one, it may be OK, but I am still not happy with other things with it like how the mouse will go off of the screen to the left and right and will disappear for awhile. Videos sometimes work, but most of the time it is a green screen... computer will lock up, etc.

I think I am going to take it back for a refund/exchange.

Here are the three I am thinking of getting...

If I go with laptop... (this is the lowest price of the three and the only one with an i7 processor and a very crisp screen... several have said Toshiba was good... ?? This one was $899 and on sale right now for $699. Unfortunately, it had the lowest ratings of the three at 3.9 stars. The other two had 4.6 / 4.8 stars (out of 5). The sales guy at BB said that he would recommend an i5 processor as it was as good as an i7 for most peoples needs.

Toshiba Radius 2in1 15.6" TouchScreen Laptop Intel Core i7 8GB Memory 1TB Hard Drive P55W-B5224 - Best Buy

If I go with another all-in-one desktop... (looks like it got rave reviews) - both of these have i5 processors...

HP ENVY 23" TouchScreen AllInOne Computer 8GB Memory 1TB Hard Drive 23-o014 - Best Buy (4.6 rating reviews).

or

Apple 21.5" iMac Intel Core i5 8GB Memory 500GB Hard Drive MF883LLA - Best Buy (4.8 rating reviews, the highest of the three, but I wonder if this will be too much computer for me for what I do. Plus, I heard it was very different from other computers and takes awhile to learn.

Old 12-28-2014, 12:43 AM

4,448 posts, read 5,449,909 times
Quote:

This sounds like you have multiple monitors enabled.

I'd get a SSD or flash storage over the touchscreen or processor. You'd be surprised at how little power you need to surf the internet. I'm using a sub I3 processor, Core 2 Duo on a 4 year old Macbook. I upgraded the hard drive to a SSD then upgraded the memory to 4GB to run the latest OS.

If buying an apple I'd get this and buy a separate monitor.
Refurbished 13.3-inch MacBook Pro 2.6GHz Dual-core Intel i5 with Retina Display - Apple Store (U.S.)

Or if you wanted to save $100 get a new 11" Macbook Air.

Have you even tried a tablet/ipad? Application designed for tablets are actually cleaner, more refined, but sometimes limited. I find the tablet version of Craigslist easier than the computer version.

Old 12-28-2014, 02:43 AM

3,341 posts, read 4,608,263 times
Yes. Get an iMac. I have been all mac since they were invented. I have a 2008 laptop that is still going great and does all my work. I have a newer iMac desktop that is just as great. I have seen my friends and relatives go through PC computers all the while my laptop keeps plugging on.

The operating system is different but very easy and intuitive to learn. Many of my relatives have switched now after seeing my ease on mac. Plus they give free classes to learn it if you want.

If you do get one, don't get it at Best Buy. The 2008 laptop macbook I bough there, they tricked me with applecare that was bogus. Apple honored it and told me they were rethinking affiliating with them because of the misleading they were doing with applecare.

Old 12-28-2014, 02:05 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,503,968 times
Quote:
Thanks for the additional replies/info. Well today I was talking about this to some friends at work and they all say I should get a laptop... something like the MacBook Pro or HP Envy. My parents both use laptops, but I have never had one, so I don't know. It may take some getting used to. I wonder what a fast laptop would be?

To be honest, I really don't do much on the computer other than visiting sites like this. Honestly I only really go to Craigslist classifieds for cars, this website, national weather service, and a couple of car forums and that is it. I may also go to some new car websites. This site works very fast on here. I am leaving now, so I will explore more with the speed of this thing later. I have until January 15th to take it back for a full refund/exchange. I also use Facebook quite often and it is (or was last night) very slow with this system. Maybe it was the site. I will try it again later. Also a Subaru site I use is very slow compared to my recently crashed Gateway all-in-one. Thanks!
My point of view is in this post. If you have to ask the PC or Mac question then my answer is probably NO.

Old 12-28-2014, 03:51 PM

28,619 posts, read 40,600,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Yes. Get an iMac. I have been all mac since they were invented. I have a 2008 laptop that is still going great and does all my work. I have a newer iMac desktop that is just as great. I have seen my friends and relatives go through PC computers all the while my laptop keeps plugging on.

The operating system is different but very easy and intuitive to learn. Many of my relatives have switched now after seeing my ease on mac. Plus they give free classes to learn it if you want.

If you do get one, don't get it at Best Buy. The 2008 laptop macbook I bough there, they tricked me with applecare that was bogus. Apple honored it and told me they were rethinking affiliating with them because of the misleading they were doing with applecare.
My HP Pavilion is older than your laptop and is still working just fine. Poor argument.

Old 12-28-2014, 04:41 PM

9,353 posts, read 16,136,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
My HP Pavilion is older than your laptop and is still working just fine. Poor argument.
You are tech savvy though. Many people don't even know what malware or adware are, nevertheless know to search decrapifier for windows.

Macs simply don't need this level of savvy to maintain the system, they just run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers