U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 04:46 PM

9,356 posts, read 16,140,471 times

Advertisements

To the op, if you are just searching the web and looking at email, seriously consider a tablet instead of a pc/Mac.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 07:06 PM

13,332 posts, read 20,382,420 times
Both PC or Mac will do the job. If you understand how Windows works then it makes sense to stay with them. Learning the Mac wasn't hard, but it is very different, and it will take some time to retrain your brain.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:21 PM

2,760 posts, read 2,821,574 times
I would not have gotten and AMD chip for myself. You want an i7.

PassMark - AMD A8-5500 APU - Price performance comparison

I do wonder, some of these cheap computers, do the prices ever get low enough that it's worth to buy one for parts ? :-)

like 5 Years ago I have spent around $1200 on a computer alone, That computer was an i7 and 8 gigs of ram, had to replace the hard drive this year at a whopping price of $89. There is nothing that is coming in any near future that would render this PC obsolete. So 7-10 years is the expected life of a good PC in my hands.

There have been internet machine's on the market, it's basically very cheap, eMashine. For like $300 you get a monitor a computer and even a printer. If a machine like that lasts you 2 years, be happy with the purchase.

Old 12-29-2014, 03:09 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,979,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
I would not have gotten and AMD chip for myself. You want an i7.

PassMark - AMD A8-5500 APU - Price performance comparison

I do wonder, some of these cheap computers, do the prices ever get low enough that it's worth to buy one for parts ? :-)

like 5 Years ago I have spent around $1200 on a computer alone, That computer was an i7 and 8 gigs of ram, had to replace the hard drive this year at a whopping price of $89. There is nothing that is coming in any near future that would render this PC obsolete. So 7-10 years is the expected life of a good PC in my hands.

There have been internet machine's on the market, it's basically very cheap, eMashine. For like $300 you get a monitor a computer and even a printer. If a machine like that lasts you 2 years, be happy with the purchase.
There's nothing wrong with AMD for what the OP needs. An i7 would be a unnecessarily expensive for browsing the web, sending email, and similar activities.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:31 AM

3,545 posts, read 5,682,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
An i7 would be a unnecessarily expensive for browsing the web, sending email, and similar activities.
Couldn't agree more.

I have machines based on i3, i5, and i7 in my house, and the average consumer just doesn't need the i7. Heck, the average gamer won't see much if any difference between the i5 and i7.

Old 12-29-2014, 01:02 PM

2,760 posts, read 2,821,574 times
I can't speak for Op's needs, a $300 bundle that includes a monitor is pretty much junk. Get a tablet instead.

eMashine's introduced $300 internet PC's during the recession, I don't think they build computers any more. That market has better options now.

It sounds like OP has a tendency to buy junk that lasts up to 2 years.

Old 12-29-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
I can't speak for Op's needs, a $300 bundle that includes a monitor is pretty much junk. Get a tablet instead.

eMashine's introduced $300 internet PC's during the recession, I don't think they build computers any more. That market has better options now.

It sounds like OP has a tendency to buy junk that lasts up to 2 years.
Why don't you read the thread instead of just spewing out amateur nonsense. We're here to help the OP. Since the OP didn't purchase a $300 computer, your post is completely irrelevant.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:23 PM

7,305 posts, read 23,791,751 times
Well thanks for the additional replies. I took everyones comments into consideration.

I took the piece of junk I had back this evening to Best Buy and ended up getting a Toshiba Satellite Radius touchscreen laptop. It has the i7 processor and 12gb memory and it is lightning fast! The screen is crystal clear as well. So far I love it. It only has a 15.6 screen and I am used to a 21-23 inch screen, so it will take some getting used to. He said I could hook it to my 21 inch screen that I actually already have, but why? lol. I am sure I will get used to it. It folds so I can also use it like a tablet. It may have been a ripoff, but I paid an additional $309 for 2 year extended protection plan which also includes accidental breakage and it covers two other systems in the home. With that said, I had to give about $250 more for this, but it is ok. I went ahead and put it on my card for 18 months interest free. I have the $ to pay cash for it, but I want to build my credit further so I financed it.

My only concern (but I am OCD) is that when I got home with it and opened the box, the stickers on the wrapping of the laptop had been ripped as if it had it been opened, but there were no finger prints anywhere on it and when I turned it on, it was showing screens as if it was the first time it had been powered on. I just was mad at first because I thought they had sold me a used one at a new price! My mom said maybe they opened it in the back to make sure it was in there. I don't know their protocol.

I am going to ask tomorrow though.

Thanks again for all of the replies, it was helpful and I appreciate it!

Old 12-30-2014, 10:26 PM

4,448 posts, read 5,452,894 times
After hearing about rocks in a ps4 box, I'll open things up in the store now.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Well thanks for the additional replies. I took everyones comments into consideration.

I took the piece of junk I had back this evening to Best Buy and ended up getting a Toshiba Satellite Radius touchscreen laptop. It has the i7 processor and 12gb memory and it is lightning fast! The screen is crystal clear as well. So far I love it. It only has a 15.6 screen and I am used to a 21-23 inch screen, so it will take some getting used to. He said I could hook it to my 21 inch screen that I actually already have, but why? lol. I am sure I will get used to it. It folds so I can also use it like a tablet. It may have been a ripoff, but I paid an additional $309 for 2 year extended protection plan which also includes accidental breakage and it covers two other systems in the home. With that said, I had to give about $250 more for this, but it is ok. I went ahead and put it on my card for 18 months interest free. I have the $ to pay cash for it, but I want to build my credit further so I financed it.

My only concern (but I am OCD) is that when I got home with it and opened the box, the stickers on the wrapping of the laptop had been ripped as if it had it been opened, but there were no finger prints anywhere on it and when I turned it on, it was showing screens as if it was the first time it had been powered on. I just was mad at first because I thought they had sold me a used one at a new price! My mom said maybe they opened it in the back to make sure it was in there. I don't know their protocol.

I am going to ask tomorrow though.

Thanks again for all of the replies, it was helpful and I appreciate it!
You got a much better value for $250!

Hooking it up to your 21" monitor was a good suggestion and will give you a bigger screen when you want it. But if you don't want it, that's perfectly fine as well.

I personally would not have paid $309 for that warranty, but if it makes you feel better, it's money well spent!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers