U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 10:28 PM

7,305 posts, read 23,783,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You got a much better value for $250!

Hooking it up to your 21" monitor was a good suggestion and will give you a bigger screen when you want it. But if you don't want it, that's perfectly fine as well.

I personally would not have paid $309 for that warranty, but if it makes you feel better, it's money well spent!
Thanks. Yeah, I thought so too... it is lightning fast and the screen is so clear and crisp, two things I really wanted. It has 12gb memory, someone said that is more than I will ever need. lol.

Yeah, I was really hesitant about the warranty, but I fell for it as always. I think what finally helped me decide was that he said near the end, I could request a new battery and power cord, so I thought that would give me a little back. Also, it covers two other computers in the house, so my parents laptops will be covered as well. It also covers if I break it within 2 years.

I ended up taking back the one I got last night and traded it for one that had not been opened, which I am using now. It is identical to the one I returned. This time I put in my USBs and using my wireless keyboard and mouse, so much easier to use. lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 11:51 PM

28,611 posts, read 40,594,929 times
Did I hear a sigh of relief and a little cry of joy just now?

Old 01-01-2015, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Did I hear a sigh of relief and a little cry of joy just now?
LOL. Yes, I love this laptop. I have it flipped back on my desk like a regular desktop monitor and using my high-tech keyboard.

Old 01-04-2015, 12:32 PM

6,502 posts, read 6,255,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
To make a very long story short, my less than 2 year old Gateway all-in-one computer lost the motherboard last week (suddenly got green/blue squiggly lines, etc). I was told they could repair, but it would be about $400. I decided to store it and not worry about it now.

I searched all week for a new system and upon most friends recommendation, I purchased a HP Pavilion desktop (click link below). It has 8gb memory. I purchased a HP Pavilion 23bw monitor. I am on the thing now and to be honest, I am just not satisfied with the speed it is loading the pages of the few websites I visit. My Gateway was faster. Now I am wondering why this new computer seems to be lagging. My dad said maybe the processor wasnt that great? I was going to get an Apple iMac (a few friends recommended that), but a friend that supposedly knows computers said that they have everything integrated into one so no upgrades? Now I wish I had of got it. Someone said all-in-ones didn't get enough air and had early failure of the motherboards and I don't want to go through that again, especially on a $900-1100 computer. After I bought this computer, monitor and bought the 3 year protection plan, it was $927. I think I have 15 days to take it back for an exchange/refund, but not sure what to do. Any advice from some computer gurus appreciated.

(They had one just like mine on display at BB last night and I tried it out and it was very fast, so cannot figure out why this one isn't. We are supposed to have one of the fastest speed internet here at the house and like I said my Gateway was faster, but this one isn't. I am wondering if when they kept it last night and added the anti-virus if maybe they didn't mess something up?).

HP Pavilion Desktop AMD A8Series 8GB Memory 2TB Hard Drive Gray 500-424 - Best Buy
They have a faster internet connection than what you have at home.

Old 01-06-2015, 07:31 PM

Well I think the computer was crappy. It was much slower than my old one.

Well now I have a concern with this new Toshiba laptop. My last one that I took back because it had been opened was lightning fast. It had been opened, which I didn't like, so I took it back and exchanged for the one I have now.

Well it started out lightning fast, but over the past few days it has started to slow down. I would think with the i7 processor and 12gb memory, it would have worked faster longer. I only have like 10 pics saved. It has bogged down... not terribly slow, but slow for a $1200 laptop.

I ran our speed test from our local internet provider and my results were:

Download speed 16.85 Mbps
Upload speed 14.45 Mbps

Maybe there is some of that bloatware stuff or something I don't need. Is basically the things I see when on I8 that I never use considered bloatware? Can I just go in the control panel and uninstall it?

Thanks!

Old 01-06-2015, 09:50 PM

Did you run that test while connected wireless? You should always run it connected with a cable.

And have you run decapifier?

Old 01-07-2015, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Did you run that test while connected wireless? You should always run it connected with a cable.

And have you run decapifier?
Thanks.

Nope, I sure didn't. It was disconnected.

I haven't ran that, but need to I am sure. Is that safe to do? I don't want to crash this thing. lol.

I just put 2 and 2 together and realized this thing slowed down when I installed the "Webroot" that Best Buy sold me. I think I had to have it installed before they would do the 3 year service warranty.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:06 PM

As far as I know Decrapifier is a safe program. Posters I trust here recommend it.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:14 PM

460 posts, read 729,547 times
I bought a Chromebook for $199 and it loads web pages lightning fast, it's perfect for web browsing and watching videos, and it's so cheap I don't worry about it. Who cares about "expanding". Technology these days advances so quickly that you're really not saving money by upgrading a device, unless you're some super power user. I've also had several Macs and had zero problems. Any Windows machine I have ever purchased is full of bloatware, and continues to get slower the longer you own it.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:29 PM

A little late to the party. It's over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers