U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 10:35 PM

7,305 posts, read 23,783,994 times

Advertisements

To make a very long story short, my less than 2 year old Gateway all-in-one computer lost the motherboard last week (suddenly got green/blue squiggly lines, etc). I was told they could repair, but it would be about $400. I decided to store it and not worry about it now.

I searched all week for a new system and upon most friends recommendation, I purchased a HP Pavilion desktop (click link below). It has 8gb memory. I purchased a HP Pavilion 23bw monitor. I am on the thing now and to be honest, I am just not satisfied with the speed it is loading the pages of the few websites I visit. My Gateway was faster. Now I am wondering why this new computer seems to be lagging. My dad said maybe the processor wasnt that great? I was going to get an Apple iMac (a few friends recommended that), but a friend that supposedly knows computers said that they have everything integrated into one so no upgrades? Now I wish I had of got it. Someone said all-in-ones didn't get enough air and had early failure of the motherboards and I don't want to go through that again, especially on a $900-1100 computer. After I bought this computer, monitor and bought the 3 year protection plan, it was $927. I think I have 15 days to take it back for an exchange/refund, but not sure what to do. Any advice from some computer gurus appreciated.

(They had one just like mine on display at BB last night and I tried it out and it was very fast, so cannot figure out why this one isn't. We are supposed to have one of the fastest speed internet here at the house and like I said my Gateway was faster, but this one isn't. I am wondering if when they kept it last night and added the anti-virus if maybe they didn't mess something up?).

HP Pavilion Desktop AMD A8Series 8GB Memory 2TB Hard Drive Gray 500-424 - Best Buy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 10:43 PM

25,873 posts, read 32,430,699 times
I bought a 21.5" iMac last spring. I love it. I like the operating system, I like the performance. I like apple. In the end it is preference.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:43 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,965,437 times
The slowness you are experiencing has nothing to do with it being an HP or an iMac. The specific computer you purchased has an extremely low end processor. The A8-6410 APU is intended for lightweight netbooks for light usage. I would expect it to be slow.

In the same price-range as your link, there are many faster options available. Even from HP.

Your friend is correct about everything in the new iMac being integrated and not upgradeable.

This computer is twice as fast: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-deskt...&skuId=9247023

This one is three times as fast: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-h...&skuId=9658387

I'm being rough with performance estimates.

To put it into perspective, the lowest end iMac listed on Apple's site has a processor that is in-between the HP your purchased and the first one I linked. They do offer faster models, however.

Last edited by NJBest; 12-23-2014 at 10:54 PM..

Old 12-23-2014, 10:56 PM

7,305 posts, read 23,783,994 times
Thanks for the fast replies! Well that is disappointing. I guess my old Gateway all-in-one had a faster processor. I am not familiar with Lenovo computers. I guess I should have researched more. Funny some of those faster ones are cheaper... I guess because this one is slow doesn't make it a bad computer? I guess I could learn to live with it. lol. Strange though at the BB store, the one like mine was fast... maybe they had modified it?

This was the iMac I was going to get... but now with the all-in-ones, I am afraid that the design would cause the motherboard to go out. Someone said they didn't get enough air? Not being able to upgrade it... what does that mean - after awhile it will be outdated and no way to update it?

Apple 21.5" iMac Intel Core i5 8GB Memory 500GB Hard Drive MF883LLA - Best Buy

and here was the HP all-in-one... would either of these be faster? It says this one has 2.9 processor speed. Is the higher # better? Sorry for my ignorance on these things. LOL.

HP ENVY 23" TouchScreen AllInOne Computer 8GB Memory 1TB Hard Drive Silver 23-o014 - Best Buy

Thanks again.

Old 12-23-2014, 11:12 PM

801 posts, read 1,932,000 times
If you keep it, take it to somebody to have all the bloatware cleaned out of it, and have it optimized. Even a slow processor can pick up some decent speed once the preloaded garbage is cleaned out of the system. I'm surprised BB didn't offer you this as it is something they normally do. I'd expect to pay $100 for a service like this. It's money well spent.

Old 12-23-2014, 11:22 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,649,799 times
As a Mac and Windows user, a Mac hands down...

Old 12-23-2014, 11:27 PM

9,353 posts, read 16,135,577 times
Satisfied Mac owner since 2001, worth every penny.

The upside to the integrated system is that performance is tuned out of the box. So no need to worry about bloatware and doing these added checks it just works. You won't need to upgrade as often, I am currently running a 2011 Mac Mini with the latest versions...no problem.

Old 12-23-2014, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Thanks for the fast replies! Well that is disappointing. I guess my old Gateway all-in-one had a faster processor. I am not familiar with Lenovo computers. I guess I should have researched more. Funny some of those faster ones are cheaper... I guess because this one is slow doesn't make it a bad computer? I guess I could learn to live with it. lol. Strange though at the BB store, the one like mine was fast... maybe they had modified it?

This was the iMac I was going to get... but now with the all-in-ones, I am afraid that the design would cause the motherboard to go out. Someone said they didn't get enough air? Not being able to upgrade it... what does that mean - after awhile it will be outdated and no way to update it?

Apple 21.5" iMac Intel Core i5 8GB Memory 500GB Hard Drive MF883LLA - Best Buy

and here was the HP all-in-one... would either of these be faster? It says this one has 2.9 processor speed. Is the higher # better? Sorry for my ignorance on these things. LOL.

HP ENVY 23" TouchScreen AllInOne Computer 8GB Memory 1TB Hard Drive Silver 23-o014 - Best Buy

Thanks again.
That iMac does have a slightly faster processor than the HP you purchased. It has a slower processor than the HP you linked to, as well as the other computers I linked to in my previous post.

I wouldn't worry about these computers not getting enough air. As long as you leave enough spaces all around the computer (a few inches), it will be okay.

There's other differences in the computers you are looking at. The size of the screen, the storage space, the memory, etc. It's hard to give a recommendation without knowing what you use your computer for and how long you expect to keep it.

All-in-ones have less user-replaceable and user-upgradeable parts than standard desktop computers. It depends on what you want to be able to upgrade in order to determine whether this matters to you or not.

Deciding whether to go with a PC or Mac depends on what software you use and what you generally feel more comfortable with. Both are excellent.

Old 12-23-2014, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Satisfied Mac owner since 2001, worth every penny.

The upside to the integrated system is that performance is tuned out of the box. So no need to worry about bloatware and doing these added checks it just works. You won't need to upgrade as often, I am currently running a 2011 Mac Mini with the latest versions...no problem.
Integrated system is about hardware. Not software. You'll find standard desktops with no bloatware on them as well (both PC and Mac).

Old 12-23-2014, 11:54 PM

9,353 posts, read 16,135,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Integrated system is about hardware. Not software. You'll find standard desktops with no bloatware on them as well (both PC and Mac).
I was thinking hardware-software integration of an operating system.

I see Integrated video into the motherboard is what you guys are talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers