U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 05:30 PM

9,356 posts, read 16,140,471 times

Advertisements

Apple Wireless Keyboard (no number pad)
https://www.apple.com/keyboard/

Logitech Trackman :
Amazon.com: Logitech M570 Wireless Trackball: Electronics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2014, 06:48 PM

14,523 posts, read 7,679,888 times
Apple Extended Keyboard
Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad

When I bought a newer iMac a couple of years ago, I tried the wireless board which came with it, but soon found I couldn't do without the forward delete, page up, page down and home and end keys, so I bought the extended keyboard.

I am very satisfied with the touch and feel of the this type of keyboard, though I was dubious at first. Now I use the wireless keyboard with my iPad Air whenever I have any serious typing to do on it.

Old 12-26-2014, 12:10 AM

4,448 posts, read 5,452,894 times
IBM model m but it is only ps2. I didn't realize some were not clicky, I guess I've been lucky.

Old 12-26-2014, 11:16 AM

15,210 posts, read 18,497,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The Cherry MX Browns are quiet for sure. They're also low resistance.. give it a mushy membrane feel. Do you bottom out?
Having learned to type on a manual typewriter, it's hard for me to imagine typing without bottoming out. I need a good tactile sensation, or my fingers get confused about whether or not the key was pressed.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:03 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,912,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Makes me feel like a poseur.

I use the Microsoft 4000 Ergonomic, and have for years.
Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 - USB B2M-00012 B&H

Big hands and it really feels good to me. I can bang out words a lot faster, and don't tire.
Now, it is difficult to use a straight keyboard.
Every now and then Newegg will have them on Shell Shocker, and I bought 4 of them earlier this year @ (I think) $15.00 each. Home desktop, and two office desktops. For what you are investing, I hope they are more durable then the 4000, which lasts 18 months to 2 years before I feel the need to replace. But, mine are so much cheaper, I can toss them when worn out.
This is the ONLY kind I can use. Flat ones make my fingers go numb. I wish the plastic keyboard covers were made to fit them since its usually accumulated dust which kills them. I made my own desk with an extra wide drawer to hold it. The only problem I've found is that for some reason my laptop won't accept function keys from the keyboard now. It used to.

I also have a 'spare' around just in case of accidents or just sudden failure. I've found you have to be careful when buying them online, since sometimes they stick the word 'ergonomic' out there without it really being ergonomic. But I check for good prices so there is always one waiting if the current one has (literally) bit the dust. Where I live is very dusty.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:21 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,121,432 times
I like the simple small ones that come with most computer and a wire mouse to keep it simple.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:04 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,979,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Having learned to type on a manual typewriter, it's hard for me to imagine typing without bottoming out. I need a good tactile sensation, or my fingers get confused about whether or not the key was pressed.
The purpose of the tactile feedback on the Cherry MX Browns is so you have feedback without needing to bottom out. If you plan on bottoming you, don't you think a linear switch would have been more appropriate?

Old 12-28-2014, 06:06 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,979,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I like the simple small ones that come with most computer and a wire mouse to keep it simple.
Computers used to come with decent keyboards but times have changed. I put up with some crappy keyboards for a while but Apple really made me want to make the investment in a decent keyboard. I started buying keyboards for my Macs because Apple makes the worst keyboards on the market. I'm probably exaggerating, but they are horrible. With PCs the keyboards are a hit or miss.

Old 12-30-2014, 11:29 AM

13,031 posts, read 7,856,402 times
I like an oldschool clicky clacky feel and sound in a keyboard. I touch type.

I have, at work, a Logitech K120. I like it.

At home I have a Saitek Eclipse II that I got years ago and I LOOOOOVVVVE that keyboard. It lights up. It types nicely. It's simply delightful. When, one day, it reaches the end of its lifespan, I might shed a tear. Good luck finding one now...

A couple of things I hate...wireless peripherals (I don't ever want to worry about batteries...and I have no need to take my peripherals beyond the reach of a cord)...and soft keyboards, especially those with low profile keys. Can't stand em.

Oh, but the worst...my son has a keyboard with an Enter key that is horizontally shorter and vertically taller. Not bar-shaped like I'm used to. I can never hit it, it's simply not where I expect it to be. Really, that's going to be all about what you're accustomed to using...but it's something I definitely scrutinized when choosing a keyboard for my other son's build. No wacky Enter key!!

Old 01-03-2015, 09:53 PM

2,760 posts, read 2,821,574 times
I use the K120 by Logitech, it's the one that costs $12. I don't clean it, I toss it and get a new one when it get's to ugly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or