U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 10:09 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,965,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I disagree. I currently have 3 Acer computers. When I set them up, I had to remove the trial McAfee and MS Office Trial. This year, I bought an HP laptop. When I got it set up, I had to remove the MS Office trial and McAfee. No real difference between the setup on the two brands. Of course, I left Java, Flash and Adobe Reader installed. I wanted those things.

I don't recall EVER seeing a new PC coming with a fully licensed copy of MS Office installed.
Was it an HP Elitebook?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Entirely incorrect. Both of the brands you mention come with their share of bloatware.
I exclusively buy ThinkPads for my PC laptops. It comes with Office Pre-installed, Norton Pre-installed and Evernote. Far less than all the crap that Acer laptops come with. Norton is the only one I would consider bloatware.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:14 AM

34,306 posts, read 59,623,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I know that, but MS Works did a lot more than what you can do with WordPad.
MS Works is all over EBay for about $6--$7.00.

Old 12-28-2014, 05:48 AM

11,714 posts, read 11,305,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Was it an HP Elitebook?
No. I'm not certain, but I believe the Elitebook is a business computer rather than a consumer machine. Before I retired, my employer had issued an Elitebook for my use.

Old 12-28-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
No. I'm not certain, but I believe the Elitebook is a business computer rather than a consumer machine. Before I retired, my employer had issued an Elitebook for my use.
The previous poster had specifically mentioned an HP Elitebook... most likely because it doesn't come with all the crap the HP consumer models come with.

Old 12-28-2014, 04:20 PM

11,714 posts, read 11,305,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The previous poster had specifically mentioned an HP Elitebook... most likely because it doesn't come with all the crap the HP consumer models come with.
I don't know what's on them when they come out of the box. What we got at work already had a pre-installed image on it for the state government with Windows Enterprise, Office, etc.

However, the HP consumer model I'm using right now had a trial of Office ad McAfee. That was all I stripped off when I bought it.

Old 01-01-2015, 04:29 PM

10,701 posts, read 8,612,360 times
Go further back and when you bought a new desk top computer it came with a stack of CDs, each a specific software. You choose which software to install and use the CD to install that particular software. MS Office, a calendar/scheduling program, anti-virus, and various other software were available depending on the model and package. What was funny was some software was made to run in DOS.

Old 01-01-2015, 06:53 PM

10,753 posts, read 18,005,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
What was funny was some software was made to run in DOS.
Why is that funny? That's what computers used to run with

Old 01-04-2015, 11:50 AM

6,502 posts, read 6,255,149 times
It was a compromise that allowed computers to be sold for less than they normally would in the marketplace. The same thing is occurring on smartphones right now, particularly Android. In both cases, then and now, OEMs make money on both ends as they're paid by the consumers and the third party software manufacturers, and they use this to pay for the licenses for the OS, among other things.

MS Works was a crippled version of MS Office whose only intention was to upsell consumers on the later. It was never about convenience for the consumer. Now that there are viable third party alternatives to Office, and that (another crippled version) Office is available online via Web Apps there is no need to preinstall MS Works in this day and age.

Old 01-04-2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
It was a compromise that allowed computers to be sold for less than they normally would in the marketplace. The same thing is occurring on smartphones right now, particularly Android. In both cases, then and now, OEMs make money on both ends as they're paid by the consumers and the third party software manufacturers, and they use this to pay for the licenses for the OS, among other things.
The irony here is that the cheapest (in terms of hardware value) and most popular (in terms of cheap phones) Android phone, the Nexus 5, had no bloatware.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post

MS Works was a crippled version of MS Office whose only intention was to upsell consumers on the later. It was never about convenience for the consumer. Now that there are viable third party alternatives to Office, and that (another crippled version) Office is available online via Web Apps there is no need to preinstall MS Works in this day and age.
MS Works was not a crippled version of MS Office. It was a stand-alone product with a completely different code base. It was intended to be a low end Office for laptops (which at the time didn't have the horsepower to run Office), but it never really got there. As laptops became more powerful, MS Works became a popular product on its own side-by-side MS Office.

What you're talking about, appears to be MS Office Starter. That product was used to upsell Office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or