U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-04-2015, 05:24 PM
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
6,502 posts, read 6,261,764 times
Reputation: 3693

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The irony here is that the cheapest (in terms of hardware value) and most popular (in terms of cheap phones) Android phone, the Nexus 5, had no bloatware.


MS Works was not a crippled version of MS Office. It was a stand-alone product with a completely different hi code base. It was intended to be a low end Office for laptops (which at the time didn't have the horsepower to run Office), but it never really got there. As laptops became more powerful, MS Works became a popular product on its own side-by-side MS Office.

What you're talking about, appears to be MS Office Starter. That product was used to upsell Office.
How much is a Nexus 5? I'm referring to so called budget phones that are heavily subsidized that require root to get rid of preinstalled software, the Nexus 5 is not a budget phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-04-2015, 05:35 PM
 
24,503 posts, read 35,979,772 times
Reputation: 12852
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
How much is a Nexus 5? I'm referring to so called budget phones that are heavily subsidized that require root to get rid of preinstalled software, the Nexus 5 is not a budget phone.
Well, it's hard to find anywhere these days... but last year it was $349 without contract. It was anywhere from FREE to $99 with contract. It had no pre-installed software beyond what comes with Android.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2015, 06:56 AM
 
Location: Amelia View
4,244 posts, read 12,770,606 times
Reputation: 3801
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
When I bought my I-Mac back in 2009, I have never had any viruses, pop-ups, nada. The only discomfort is when every once in a while I am required to use an Explorer program to access a business site. I reluctantly purchased an Acer laptop about a year ago. Whenever I use it, I am besieged with pop-ups telling me that my mcafee, Java are out of warranty and I am in "danger"', blah blah blah. It didn't even come with Microsoft word program. I could have sworn that my previous PCs came with all of that stuff. Have they been reduced to "no frills"?
Your memory is correct. In the olden days computers came with everything - full working versions of all the basics one needed in order to do computing. That included MSWorks, which for a home user was an excellent product for documents, spreadsheets, databases. As victimofGM recalls, computers did come with stacks of CDs. In these CDs, along with the "serious" stuff were tons of games and such -- BOWEP games, World Atlas, just to name two.

It was sometime in the early to mid 2000s when that changed. My new desktop came with trial versions of almost everything, but it still had MSWorks. A few years later my new laptop came with the same plethora of trial versions, but no MSWorks, so I was forced to buy MSOffice if I wanted to continue working with docs, spreadsheets, databases like I was accustomed to with Works. (I know, certainly I had other options other than Office.) The number of CDs dwindled from a few down to today when there are none. Today we have to create our own recovery disk whereas in the past computers came with one, and if a piece of software went kablooey, we could easily reinstall it from the included disk.

Today's machines seem to come with a ton of crap chosen for me by the manufacturer, and you're right that there seems to be contant popups reminding me to install and/or buy full versions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2015, 08:36 PM
 
Location: The Berk in Denver, CO USA
14,391 posts, read 21,075,024 times
Reputation: 23913
Do computers still come with built ins such as coffee cup holders?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2015, 09:36 PM
 
Location: Diaspora
21,550 posts, read 24,690,260 times
Reputation: 8930
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Do computers still come with built ins such as coffee cup holders?
At least you didn't ask about the foot pedal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2015, 06:44 AM
 
Location: Amelia View
4,244 posts, read 12,770,606 times
Reputation: 3801
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Do computers still come with built ins such as coffee cup holders?
My desktop has one that fully extends when I push the button. My laptop's needs some coaching to come all the way out. I was very disappointed that my iPad didn't come with one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2015, 10:24 AM
 
1,009 posts, read 1,562,468 times
Reputation: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
My desktop has one that fully extends when I push the button. My laptop's needs some coaching to come all the way out. I was very disappointed that my iPad didn't come with one.
Beatrice? Is that you?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2015, 11:05 AM
 
25,885 posts, read 32,448,372 times
Reputation: 23109
There are days I miss DOS.

I am not totally on board with cloud computing. For file storage, sure. Applications on the cloud, not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2015, 02:59 PM
 
Location: HoCo, MD
4,603 posts, read 8,203,327 times
Reputation: 5185
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
Your memory is correct. In the olden days computers came with everything - full working versions of all the basics one needed in order to do computing. That included MSWorks, which for a home user was an excellent product for documents, spreadsheets, databases. As victimofGM recalls, computers did come with stacks of CDs. In these CDs, along with the "serious" stuff were tons of games and such -- BOWEP games, World Atlas, just to name two.

It was sometime in the early to mid 2000s when that changed. My new desktop came with trial versions of almost everything, but it still had MSWorks. A few years later my new laptop came with the same plethora of trial versions, but no MSWorks, so I was forced to buy MSOffice if I wanted to continue working with docs, spreadsheets, databases like I was accustomed to with Works. (I know, certainly I had other options other than Office.) The number of CDs dwindled from a few down to today when there are none. Today we have to create our own recovery disk whereas in the past computers came with one, and if a piece of software went kablooey, we could easily reinstall it from the included disk.

Today's machines seem to come with a ton of crap chosen for me by the manufacturer, and you're right that there seems to be contant popups reminding me to install and/or buy full versions.
Most machines still have recovery capabilities - it's simply been moved from CD/DVD to a disk partition. The advantage is that you don't have to remember where you kept the discs. And since you can still create bootable USBs using that image, its sort of the best of both worlds (until you wipe that partition of course).

As for business machines. They still come with 'bloatware' albeit much less than the consumer stuff. We were getting Lenovo T series machines for my last company. And they still came with trial versions of sugarsync, symantec, some Adobe Pro knockoff, and a trial of MSOffice 365. Of course, the software with the biggest footprint was the Lenovo management software. While it did have some useful stuff (recovery, and boot disk creator utility), most of it were redundant to tools that came with Windows.

After a few shipments, we just gave our vendor a copy of our gold image so that all systems were shipped with it already installed (for a price of course).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2015, 09:01 AM
 
Location: Amelia View
4,244 posts, read 12,770,606 times
Reputation: 3801
Quote:
Originally Posted by adyn View Post
Beatrice? Is that you?
Her grandchild :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:53 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top