U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 12:54 PM

11,434 posts, read 16,693,613 times

Advertisements

When I bought my I-Mac back in 2009, I have never had any viruses, pop-ups, nada. The only discomfort is when every once in a while I am required to use an Explorer program to access a business site. I reluctantly purchased an Acer laptop about a year ago. Whenever I use it, I am besieged with pop-ups telling me that my mcafee, Java are out of warranty and I am in "danger"', blah blah blah. It didn't even come with Microsoft word program. I could have sworn that my previous PCs came with all of that stuff. Have they been reduced to "no frills"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 01:18 PM

980 posts, read 596,119 times
Having McAfee, Java and other crap pre-installed is the nature of buying an Acer consumer laptop. If you purchased a Lenovo ThinkPad or HP Elitebook, you wouldn't have all that extra bloat.

Computers (PC and Mac) don't always come with the Microsoft Office Suite (which includes Microsoft Word).

Old 12-26-2014, 02:11 PM

15,210 posts, read 18,497,278 times
Your Acer "came with all of that stuff," too. That's why you're getting messages about them being out of date.

If you don't want to pay for/renew the subscriptions (e.g. McAfee), you should uninstall the software.

As for Word not being there, that's normal. Word is part of the Office suite, which can cost several hundred dollars, depending on which version and license you buy. Many name brand systems come with a trial of Office, but nobody just gives it to you for free.

Old 12-26-2014, 02:24 PM

36,099 posts, read 26,110,508 times
First thing you do with a new cheaper laptop is remove bloatware. First thing.

Old 12-26-2014, 04:11 PM

21,550 posts, read 24,690,260 times
As to PCs, based on their MSRP level they came with less everything in 2014 compared to 2013 notebooks. If I compare a Toshiba and a HP where one of each was purchased in each year for around the same price levels these are the differences. The 2013 computers came with with 2013 Starter (lifetime working copy) or 2013 Home & Student (full version). The 2014 computers came with a 30-day 365 Office. The AV's were the same as being 30-day and both required about hour of trash removal. Hardware wise there was also a difference that made the 2014 PCs (mid to low end) different from the 2013 computers were that the battery was no longer removable and all the doors on the bottom were no longer there. Thus in order to replace/upgrade RAM and the HDD, one has to go through a lengthy process to get to them (for those who own current Macbooks and know how to take one apart, its actually worse).

Old 12-26-2014, 07:00 PM

13,332 posts, read 20,382,420 times
PCs used to come with MS Works if you didn't buy MS Office when you got it. Works was a basic word processor. I don't think they do that anymore.

Old 12-26-2014, 07:36 PM

980 posts, read 596,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
PCs used to come with MS Works if you didn't buy MS Office when you got it. Works was a basic word processor. I don't think they do that anymore.
MS Works has been discontinued.

PCs still come with WordPad, which is a basic word processor.

Old 12-27-2014, 06:53 AM

11,749 posts, read 11,315,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
Having McAfee, Java and other crap pre-installed is the nature of buying an Acer consumer laptop. If you purchased a Lenovo ThinkPad or HP Elitebook, you wouldn't have all that extra bloat.

Computers (PC and Mac) don't always come with the Microsoft Office Suite (which includes Microsoft Word).
I disagree. I currently have 3 Acer computers. When I set them up, I had to remove the trial McAfee and MS Office Trial. This year, I bought an HP laptop. When I got it set up, I had to remove the MS Office trial and McAfee. No real difference between the setup on the two brands. Of course, I left Java, Flash and Adobe Reader installed. I wanted those things.

I don't recall EVER seeing a new PC coming with a fully licensed copy of MS Office installed.

Old 12-27-2014, 07:10 AM

10,755 posts, read 18,013,891 times
Quote:
Entirely incorrect. Both of the brands you mention come with their share of bloatware.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:05 AM

13,332 posts, read 20,382,420 times
Quote:
MS Works has been discontinued.

PCs still come with WordPad, which is a basic word processor.
I know that, but MS Works did a lot more than what you can do with WordPad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or