U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 01:03 PM

23 posts, read 17,835 times

Advertisements

This, I'm sure is a dumb question for computer literate people. BUT, how do you know it is time for a new computer ? Mine is 8yrs old and it does some crazy things and is very very slow sometimes. Do I need a new one yet ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 01:33 PM

14,523 posts, read 7,677,063 times
Can you give more information?

The tech gurus around here will want to know what kind of computer and the type of OS is running on it, etc.
Also, if you have a PC, do you have antivirus & anti-malware installed.

Old 12-28-2014, 12:52 AM

4,448 posts, read 5,448,988 times
When your computer becomes slow or inoperable, you can 1) Figure out how to fix it yourself 2) Pay someone to fix it 3) Buy a new one and try to figure out how to get all or your old applications reinstalled. 8 years is a good run for your computer and you got your money's worth. If you buy a new computer, you'll have to learn a new operating system if you use Windows.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:24 AM

971 posts, read 1,213,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarajane View Post
This, I'm sure is a dumb question for computer literate people. BUT, how do you know it is time for a new computer ? Mine is 8yrs old and it does some crazy things and is very very slow sometimes. Do I need a new one yet ?
Hi Tarajane, First off....there is no dumb questions when it involves a computer, there are just dumb computers and some are dumber than others. IMO

Most of the "experts" here are still waiting for the info about your computer as Macrena mentioned. So far the posters have given good advice. This is a good place to learn about the use of various compiters. IMHO

Awaiting your additional info.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:59 AM

23 posts, read 17,835 times
I have an Acer and AVG antivirus on it...Windows 7 Aspire, AMD Quad core, 500 GB HDD,,other than that I can't help. Hope this was enough.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:25 AM

3,401 posts, read 1,006,405 times
For us, whenever our computer stops working as it should. We replaced our last desktop after 8 years when it overheated and wouldn't boot up.

In general, I find it's better to wait as long as you can to get a new PC. The longer you wait, the more you get for your money.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:31 AM

10,753 posts, read 18,005,309 times
Performance degradation isn't a reason to replace a computer, it can be returned to how it was providing their are no hardware issues, though if you can't do this yourself you have to weigh the cost of getting it fixed to the cost of a new computer.

As a general rule, if a computer can't do what you need it to do when it's running properly, say you can't install a new app or a new app performs poorly due to old hardware, it's a good time for a replacement.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:43 AM

2,808 posts, read 2,516,174 times
Quote:
I have an Acer and AVG antivirus on it...Windows 7 Aspire, AMD Quad core, 500 GB HDD,,other than that I can't help. Hope this was enough.
Your computer should be adequate, possibly add ram.

First open your computer and vacuum out all the dust and make sure the fans are working. Next back up your photos, documents, bookmarks etc to an external hard drive or cloud, write down all the programs you use so you can re-install them all, and then do a system restore and then your computer should be as fast at it was when you bought it.

If you want a new one then Staples.com is running some windows 7 computers (I hate 8) such as the Asus i5 for $499, that should do all you need and do it quickly.

Old 12-28-2014, 03:43 PM

28,611 posts, read 40,594,929 times
Edit: Do not get led into doing a reformat or a system restore yet. There's always a chance that it might be necessary, but that's a lot of work even for someone like me who's done this for over a quarter of a century, and you don't seem comfortable with complicated computer work. Patience first and foremost.

First, you may already know the commands I have bolded, but I want to be sure you know what I'm telling you to do.

An interim step (really steps) is to download Ccleaner and run it. When you first run the program it will be on a screen that has a button to start it at the lower right corner. Answer yes to the question(s) and let it run. It may take a while. Get some coffee or go to lunch.

After that's done go to the menu at the left on the screen and look for Tools. Click on that. You will see Uninstall and Startup. Clicking on either one will bring up a screen with a list of programs. In the bottom right corner of each you will see "Save to text file". If you click on that on each screen it will copy the list to a text file which you can copy/paste to a post here. In the editor (probably Notepad) that it uses press ctrl/a then ctrl/c. Ctrl/a selects all the text and ctrl/c copies it to the clipboard.

Come to a post here and press ctrl/v to paste the text into it. Do this for both files, and to make it easier on the techs here paste them into separate posts.

This will allow us to look at what is installed and what runs when Windows starts. If there are things that cause problems or are not required to run at startup someone will tell you.

Important!!! Wait for a consensus. Do not do the very first things you are told, even if it's me telling you. There should be multiple techs weighing in.

Old 12-29-2014, 02:06 AM

84 posts, read 113,232 times
Quote:
Is your hard drive eight years old too? Hard drives (the standard variety, not SSDs) have a tendency to burn out faster than almost any other computer component because they have moving parts. When hard drives go bad, they can make all sorts of strange things happen. Many people assume that they have "viruses" when their hard drives start to go on them. To avoid all that, I typically replace hard drives every two to three years. Replacing hard drives is one of the easier hardware fixes that an ordinary user can perform on their computer. Watch a related YouTube video for further details if you think this might be the problem.

Another very common problem with 'older' computers is overheating. The fans that softly spin away inside your box can stop working. A warning sign is if you hear a very annoying loud buzzing sound while using your machine. Certain fans can make a lot of racket (like case and CPU fans), which can sometimes almost howl like a vacuum cleaner. You might feel good if they all the sudden stop making that racket, but that can be a bad thing. Especially if the fan stopped running altogether, which causes components to overheat. For instance, if your power supply overheats, the computer will seem to turn off on its own. Not cool if you're in the middle of something important.

A "simple" solution for these types of cooling problems is getting a can of compressed air and blowing out your case, especially working over the fans good. However, this is not a magic cure all. If the fan is still making noise you would need to remove the fan (which is usually very annoying and not for the "unsavvy"), remove the plastic sticker and apply some sewing machine oil (not WD-40). Even then, there might be further issues (like needing new thermal grease between the CPU or GPU and the heat sink). Basically, heating issues are usually more annoying to deal with than replacing hard drives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or