U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 05:12 PM

1,830 posts, read 4,991,884 times

Advertisements

Do I really need to do "optimization" on my 6 yr. old PC? The folks at Linksys who helped me install the new router said my pc is too slow and on the "Administrative Events' page it shows thousands of messages like "error", "critical", "Warning!" they are trying to sell me tech support with Supportrix for a hundred dollars. I'm not ready to jump into this and possible risk losing files, etc. Do I really need to improve my PC's performance if I'm content with it as is? Seems like it makes more sense to save my money and buy and new computer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 05:49 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,656,019 times
First off exactly what are these "error", "critical", "Warning!" entries? They could be nasties or nothing more than "can't read CD/DVD"...

If you are satisfied with the performance of your system, as the old adage goes:

If it ain't broke don't fix it

Old 12-30-2014, 10:29 AM

10,755 posts, read 18,013,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
Do I really need to do "optimization" on my 6 yr. old PC? The folks at Linksys who helped me install the new router said my pc is too slow and on the "Administrative Events' page it shows thousands of messages like "error", "critical", "Warning!"
That is the same method used by cold call scammers to try and bilk you out of your money. Ignore any advice or support options they offer. Every Windows computer on the planet has errors listed in the event log, even when it's functioning normally.

If it concerns you, post a screen shot of a couple sections of the administrative event log for us to look at.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:56 AM

9,356 posts, read 16,140,471 times
Software developers log many messages in the events... Do not worry about them unless you know something is wrong.

Think of the events log as a debugging tool for when something is wrong, not an indicator of things to come.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:48 PM

28,638 posts, read 40,617,860 times
Reminds me of a wonderful older woman I had as a client for a while. Her PC needed a little cleanup after the grand kids were there. She told me her son said her computer was too slow for the games his kids wanted to play and she should buy a new computer.

I asked her what she did on it (email mostly) and if it worked okay for her. It did.

So I told her to tell her son that if he wanted a computer at her place for his kids to use for games he should buy it and bring it over.

She never heard another word about it.

Linksys = her son

Old 12-30-2014, 10:34 PM

2,760 posts, read 2,821,574 times
Just because your computer is 6 years old, does not say much to me. A good system purchased 6 years ago is still a good system. 6 years ago i7s were sold, maybe add some ram to make it 8...

They try sell services, because they get commission for the sale.

My "Administrative Events", right now is showing historic records of errors to various programs crushing, like when I cancel an installation or improperly unplug a USB. It could be showing serious errors worth taking care off, but most of the time it's nothing worth your attention.

Old 12-31-2014, 08:25 AM

971 posts, read 1,213,695 times
Quote:
Do I really need to do "optimization" on my 6 yr. old PC? The folks at Linksys who helped me install the new router said my pc is too slow and on the "Administrative Events' page it shows thousands of messages like "error", "critical", "Warning!" they are trying to sell me tech support with Supportrix for a hundred dollars. I'm not ready to jump into this and possible risk losing files, etc. Do I really need to improve my PC's performance if I'm content with it as is? Seems like it makes more sense to save my money and buy and new computer.
I used to do a manual optimization on my TRS80s and it helped a lot. Some of the new/utility programs now days do an optimization automatically.

As usual all the above posts are very good information. My thanks to all.

Old 01-04-2015, 11:31 AM

6,502 posts, read 6,261,764 times
Quote:
No.

If you buy RAM it will be slower than what comes standard with computers today. Plus, being 6 years old, your computer is probably running on an single core, so any new computer would have faster memory, as 99% of the new machines out there today are dual core, or quad core. Cheaper to purchase a new machine.

Old 01-04-2015, 11:58 AM

1,789 posts, read 1,492,154 times
Quote:
You should never purchase any "optimization" service, anti-virus or anything like that. There are free programs that are as good as any paid services. There may be a few specific cases were a paid program or service would be useful, but 99% people don't need it.

I have 2 desktop computers in my house. One I built 13 yrs ago and is still has plenty of power for doing general tasks like web browsing, word processing, spreadsheets etc.

I would get a good usb stick and transfer all your files you don't want to lose onto it, then either

1 restore the computer using the factory image. Usually they come with a small partition on the hard drive that holds the factory image, you can restore it to its original condition using that. Just search the internet for your specific model for instructions.

2 wipe the computer and reload windows xp or windows 7 using a purchased disc.

3 wipe the computer and load a linux distro that you downloaded for free. Linux Mint is a good choice for beginners that are new to linux. You can download the different versions and see which one your pc likes best. Avoid the debian distro and try the XFCE with the nonfree codec version first for a lightweight and fast version.

Actually if you don't wanna wipe your computer then you could still download Linux Mint and give it a test drive without making any changes to your pc. Then if you decide you wanna use it more, it gives you an easy choice to install along side your current windows install and then when you boot you can select windows or linux. You would be able to access all your windows files from inside linux. From windows accessing the linux portion is a bit of a hassle and requires a program to be installed in windows. The best part is that it doesn't take much room on your hard drive and you wouldn't effect your windows install at all.

I have found that its best to just wipe and reinstall windows every few years as the way it tends to get bogged down and will never operate as fast as a fresh install. It happens faster the more programs you install and remove, or the more maleware you get.

You can easily put together a very decent pc now for less than 300. They even have intel nucs that run about that price that are small enough to easily mount to the back of your monitor and will be much more powerful than your current pc.

If you need to add new monitor, keyboard, mouse and are gonna stick with windows it will still cost about 500. Thats been the price for a "decent" pc for over a decade.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:52 PM

1,830 posts, read 4,991,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
You should never purchase any "optimization" service, anti-virus or anything like that. There are free programs that are as good as any paid services. There may be a few specific cases were a paid program or service would be useful, but 99% people don't need it.

I have 2 desktop computers in my house. One I built 13 yrs ago and is still has plenty of power for doing general tasks like web browsing, word processing, spreadsheets etc.

I would get a good usb stick and transfer all your files you don't want to lose onto it, then either

1 restore the computer using the factory image. Usually they come with a small partition on the hard drive that holds the factory image, you can restore it to its original condition using that. Just search the internet for your specific model for instructions.

2 wipe the computer and reload windows xp or windows 7 using a purchased disc.

3 wipe the computer and load a linux distro that you downloaded for free. Linux Mint is a good choice for beginners that are new to linux. You can download the different versions and see which one your pc likes best. Avoid the debian distro and try the XFCE with the nonfree codec version first for a lightweight and fast version.

Actually if you don't wanna wipe your computer then you could still download Linux Mint and give it a test drive without making any changes to your pc. Then if you decide you wanna use it more, it gives you an easy choice to install along side your current windows install and then when you boot you can select windows or linux. You would be able to access all your windows files from inside linux. From windows accessing the linux portion is a bit of a hassle and requires a program to be installed in windows. The best part is that it doesn't take much room on your hard drive and you wouldn't effect your windows install at all.

I have found that its best to just wipe and reinstall windows every few years as the way it tends to get bogged down and will never operate as fast as a fresh install. It happens faster the more programs you install and remove, or the more maleware you get.

You can easily put together a very decent pc now for less than 300. They even have intel nucs that run about that price that are small enough to easily mount to the back of your monitor and will be much more powerful than your current pc.

If you need to add new monitor, keyboard, mouse and are gonna stick with windows it will still cost about 500. Thats been the price for a "decent" pc for over a decade.

Honey, what's a Linux Mint? A new type of breath mint? For those of us who are technology challenged, like me, could you please explain why I might need/want to install Linux Mint? Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or