U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 06:17 PM

3,545 posts, read 5,679,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
As a server-side Java (JEE) guy I disagree, server-side programming is very low level with many advanced design patterns from Software Engineering being applied. Server-side programming get's you into concepts like Object inheritance, caching, Data Access, Model View Controller, Facades, Singletons, Clustering, Message Brokering..etc.

Even the very simple Database access (JDBC/ODBC, Hibernate, Spring) will be much more low level than HTML/CSS/JS. Server-side programming is more aligned to Software Engineering than being a Website UI developer.
I agree with you, but worded it wrong. My point was that you can't effectively do ASP.NET or PHP if you don't know HTML, so you need to learn HTML first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 07:05 PM

2,760 posts, read 2,820,165 times
How difficult is HTML to learn ? To program in APS.net all you need is to recognize the tags. Div, Table, Panel, image, link. Spend an hour reading w3schools and practice with inserting HTML tags on the forums

Old 01-03-2015, 07:11 PM

4,366 posts, read 3,645,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
How difficult is HTML to learn ? To program in APS.net all you need is to recognize the tags. Div, Table, Panel, image, link. Spend an hour reading w3schools and practice with inserting HTML tags on the forums
If that's all you need to know, maybe I should start trying to learn APS.net?

Old 01-03-2015, 07:24 PM

40,197 posts, read 41,799,403 times
Quote:
How difficult is HTML to learn ? To program in APS.net all you need is to recognize the tags. Div, Table, Panel, image, link.
Perhaps if it was 1995 that is all you need to know. Your markup should pertain to the content, e.g. paragraph's should be between paragraph tags.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:41 PM

It's ASP.NET, Sorry. Download Visual Studio Express. There are sites like Lynda.com, Plurasoft, APPdev, there are tons of tutorials you can do.

But the story with ASP begins with a certain architecture where HTML is a small part. Visual Studio has a designer, so you can look at what you paint using the designer and what HTML code it automatically generates.

If this is the layman's model of ASP technology, then were are the CSS or HTML or Java script?

Java Script, HTML and CSS are just for detailing. They are helpful to know for a web developer, but they don't make you a programmer.

HTML Tutorial <<< This is all there is HTML <Tag /> <p> Bold<\p> <I> Italic</i>...

Myself I am not artistically inclined, I can not make a website look better then it was designed by a 3 year old. So at that, what business is it of mine to be setting up CSS for the entire project? I just have to follow a design of some-one who sets it.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:18 PM

3,545 posts, read 5,679,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
If that's all you need to know, maybe I should start trying to learn APS.net?
If you want to take that direction, start here:

ASP.NET | The ASP.NET Site

Click the "Learn" button, and Select "MVC" in the left column.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:18 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,965,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Strongly typed languages are best for software engineering historically. The fact that I can use var i = String, Integer, Array etc. in Javascript will always limit it.
How are typed languages better for software engineering? I don't see how a software engineer would even care whether you were using a typed language.

You have to keep in mind that the OP is talking about websites. Not about software that requires real-time accuracy of physics simulations. The speed gains in using typed languages vs untyped languages are meaningless for websites.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:20 PM

Quote:
There's a lot more to HTML than what you described...

Old 01-03-2015, 10:21 PM

Quote:
In my market the 2 competitors are Java and Microsoft. I consider those as main programming languages.
Microsoft is actually a corporation; not a programming language.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Microsoft is actually a corporation; not a programming language.
Thank you for the correction, but .Net supports more then just one language so You either work with Java or Languages supported my Microsoft. Hence Microsoft languages...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers