U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-03-2015, 11:28 PM
 
Location: Greater NYC, USA
2,760 posts, read 2,821,574 times
Reputation: 1723

Advertisements

I am sure you can accomplish those tasks, but at what cost ? You are competing with a full OO language designed for RAD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-04-2015, 12:08 AM
 
24,503 posts, read 35,979,772 times
Reputation: 12852
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
I am sure you can accomplish those tasks, but at what cost ? You are competing with a full OO language designed for RAD?
What do you mean at what cost? The same cost as any other language. Yes, you don't get a nice GUI IDE, but programmers don't need that.

The only full OO language that JavaScript is competing with is SCALA. Java and .NET have to compete with SCALA as well. I don't see your point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2015, 12:12 AM
 
Location: Denver
9,356 posts, read 16,140,471 times
Reputation: 5625
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
I am sure you can accomplish those tasks, but at what cost ? You are competing with a full OO language designed for RAD?
They must be talking about using an engine like V8 which is written in C++ and basically is a VM like Java's JVM. Java can be tuned to be much faster, but V8 is pretty fast out of the box.

It's sort of like the Rhino Engine that converts Java to Javascript.

The cost is more abstraction, but I can see value because Javascript is very easy to learn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2015, 12:19 AM
 
24,503 posts, read 35,979,772 times
Reputation: 12852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
They must be talking about using an engine like V8 which is written in C++ and basically is a VM like Java's JVM.

It's sort of like the Rhino Engine that converts Java to Javascript.
When talking about Server-side JavaScript, you're typically talking about NodeJS, which is based on v8. It's very similar to the Java VM and .net VM (CLR)... all of which are written in C or C++.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2015, 12:22 AM
 
980 posts, read 596,119 times
Reputation: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
The cost is more abstraction, but I can see value because Javascript is very easy to learn.
It's also really fast, compared to really old, but still prevalent, technologies such as PHP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2015, 12:24 AM
 
Location: Denver
9,356 posts, read 16,140,471 times
Reputation: 5625
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
When talking about Server-side JavaScript, you're typically talking about NodeJS, which is based on v8. It's very similar to the Java VM and .net VM (CLR)... all of which are written in C or C++.
For what Node.js and V8 was intended to do it does it well. I guess it all depends on what the web-application is doing...

If all you are doing is returning pure data like a firehose, Node likely will be a good option. If you are doing things like security beyond a very basic model, multi tenancy, batch processing, business logic etc. It may not be the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2015, 12:28 AM
 
Location: Denver
9,356 posts, read 16,140,471 times
Reputation: 5625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
It's also really fast, compared to really old, but still prevalent, technologies such as PHP.
Absolutely, I never really liked PHP.

I have a hard time seeing Javascript beating JEE or .NET however, when truly tuned and scaled. Also I like the fact that Java or .NET can apply to other technologies besides web-development... but that is another topic .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2015, 12:36 AM
 
980 posts, read 596,119 times
Reputation: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Absolutely, I never really liked PHP.

I have a hard time seeing Javascript beating JEE or .NET however, when truly tuned and scaled. Also I like the fact that Java or .NET can apply to other technologies besides web-development... but that is another topic .
To be fair, JavaScript isn't limited to web-development. It's limited to network applications, yes (at least for now). The entire backend of the Instagram mobile apps are built in JavaScript.

In growth, JavaScript is beating Java and .Net... but that's because it's in its early stages. Only time will tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2015, 01:43 PM
 
Location: Greater NYC, USA
2,760 posts, read 2,821,574 times
Reputation: 1723
It is at time like this a quote from my college stat professor comes to mind.

The quote of course is "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing"

If one only knows JavaScript, then I suppose JavaScript is the most wonderful thing in the world.

When i talk to real Java programmers, they say Java is the most wonderful thing in the world....

Just for amusement:
<script type="text/javascript">
<!-- var age
var name;
//-->
</script>



Option Explicit
Dim iAge as Integer
Public sName as string


People that are pleading the case of JavaScript here, seem to think that a scripting language can compete with an OO language.

JSP, ASP and PHP, - PHP uses a scripting language on the server side. `PHP is used by start-ups because it's cheaper to get stated, once the business is established, PHP becomes a pain and needs to be moved to either JSP or ASP.

JavaScript is used in web development on the browser side, since all browsers recognize JavaScript, you can enhance the GUI with fun perks for the user. Often it is used to prevent from making the round trip back to the server (this cost memory and performance). Safe coding standards do not recommend using JavaScript for data transfer. Enforcement of business rules through JavaScript is deemed safe for controlled environments (such as company's intranet site to which only the employees have access to). I would not enforce business rules with JavaScript on major public facing websites. This is an invitation for hackers.

The flavor of JavaScript that is popular right now on ASP side of things is JQuery. jQuery UI Demos | jQuery UI, this is what we use JavaScript to do, enhance the GUI, that is it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2015, 01:54 PM
 
Location: Greater NYC, USA
2,760 posts, read 2,821,574 times
Reputation: 1723
I needed to enforce a business rule, Basically 2-3 drop downs, you select from one and choice that populates the one below. Dynamic cascading drop downs that populate from the DB.

I asked my coworkers if they thought I should use JavaScript for this, every-one agreed that since it populates from the DB, have to use server side coding, that's when the page posts backs reloading the whole 9 yards...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:01 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top