U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 03:06 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,979,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
It is at time like this a quote from my college stat professor comes to mind.

The quote of course is "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing"

If one only knows JavaScript, then I suppose JavaScript is the most wonderful thing in the world.

When i talk to real Java programmers, they say Java is the most wonderful thing in the world....

Just for amusement:
<script type="text/javascript">
<!-- var age
var name;
//-->
</script>

Option Explicit
Dim iAge as Integer
Public sName as string

People that are pleading the case of JavaScript here, seem to think that a scripting language can compete with an OO language.

JSP, ASP and PHP, - PHP uses a scripting language on the server side. `PHP is used by start-ups because it's cheaper to get stated, once the business is established, PHP becomes a pain and needs to be moved to either JSP or ASP.

JavaScript is used in web development on the browser side, since all browsers recognize JavaScript, you can enhance the GUI with fun perks for the user. Often it is used to prevent from making the round trip back to the server (this cost memory and performance). Safe coding standards do not recommend using JavaScript for data transfer. Enforcement of business rules through JavaScript is deemed safe for controlled environments (such as company's intranet site to which only the employees have access to). I would not enforce business rules with JavaScript on major public facing websites. This is an invitation for hackers.

The flavor of JavaScript that is popular right now on ASP side of things is JQuery. jQuery UI Demos | jQuery UI, this is what we use JavaScript to do, enhance the GUI, that is it.
My background is actually C++... and still my preferred go-to language.

It's becoming more apparent that you know nothing about programming for the web. You've included a snippet of browser-side JavaScript (along with HTML) and compared it to a snippet of BASIC.

In regards to being OO, JavaScript and VB.net/C#.net fall into the exact same category. Neither are fully object oriented.

Don't let the name fool you, JavaScript is no longer a scripting language. It's compiled into machine code and run natively. (Unlike PHP which is interpreted at runtime)

JavaScript runs on the server too. It's perfectly fine to have business rules in JavaScript. eBay and PayPal both do it just fine without an open invitation for hackers.

jQuery was popular5 years ago. Like PHP (also like mainframes), a lot of sites still use it. I'd hope no one who's building a new site would use it this day in age.

So back to your professor's statement: "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing"

It seems like you have little knowledge and it is dangerous to people who want to learn and will come across this thread. You need to stop spreading incorrect information so you don't throw people off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
I needed to enforce a business rule, Basically 2-3 drop downs, you select from one and choice that populates the one below. Dynamic cascading drop downs that populate from the DB.

I asked my coworkers if they thought I should use JavaScript for this, every-one agreed that since it populates from the DB, have to use server side coding, that's when the page posts backs reloading the whole 9 yards...
You aren't following the thread. We're talking about server-side JavaScript here. A simple socket to a JavaScript Node process will handle the db fetch.

Old 01-04-2015, 05:50 PM

980 posts, read 596,119 times
Quote:
It is at time like this a quote from my college stat professor comes to mind.

The quote of course is "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing"

If one only knows JavaScript, then I suppose JavaScript is the most wonderful thing in the world.

When i talk to real Java programmers, they say Java is the most wonderful thing in the world....

Just for amusement:
<script type="text/javascript">
<!-- var age
var name;
//-->
</script>

Option Explicit
Dim iAge as Integer
Public sName as string

People that are pleading the case of JavaScript here, seem to think that a scripting language can compete with an OO language.

JSP, ASP and PHP, - PHP uses a scripting language on the server side. `PHP is used by start-ups because it's cheaper to get stated, once the business is established, PHP becomes a pain and needs to be moved to either JSP or ASP.

JavaScript is used in web development on the browser side, since all browsers recognize JavaScript, you can enhance the GUI with fun perks for the user. Often it is used to prevent from making the round trip back to the server (this cost memory and performance). Safe coding standards do not recommend using JavaScript for data transfer. Enforcement of business rules through JavaScript is deemed safe for controlled environments (such as company's intranet site to which only the employees have access to). I would not enforce business rules with JavaScript on major public facing websites. This is an invitation for hackers.

The flavor of JavaScript that is popular right now on ASP side of things is JQuery. jQuery UI Demos | jQuery UI, this is what we use JavaScript to do, enhance the GUI, that is it.
Quote:
I needed to enforce a business rule, Basically 2-3 drop downs, you select from one and choice that populates the one below. Dynamic cascading drop downs that populate from the DB.

I asked my coworkers if they thought I should use JavaScript for this, every-one agreed that since it populates from the DB, have to use server side coding, that's when the page posts backs reloading the whole 9 yards...
You apparently have no idea how JavaScript is used. Your post sounds like it was from 2005.

Old 01-10-2015, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
You apparently have no idea how JavaScript is used. Your post sounds like it was from 2005.
I was caught off-guard with the script tags as well. Pre-2005... more like the 90s.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:25 AM

2,760 posts, read 2,821,574 times
Do you guys even know how to program ?

Old 01-16-2015, 03:33 PM

4,366 posts, read 3,648,486 times
Quote:
Do you guys even know how to program ?
No, but I'm really interested in learning. I enrolled in a class on Udemy, but I haven't had a lot of time to get really serious about it, though. I need to find time, but my two jobs and attempt at a social life take most of my free hours. I need a good study schedule. I had no idea I would actually be busier out of college than when I was taking classes. The world of work is tough!

Old 01-16-2015, 04:38 PM

It was a rhetorical question to the Java Script Socket argument.

I think you should pick a real language to learn programming. Learn either C# or Java, they are actually similar to an extent, but loops and logical statements, then take a look at Object Oriented programming.

Once you have mastered that, you will find that all programming languages are similar with Objects and loops and logical statements.

Then take a look at SQL and relational DB programming.
If You pick a DB, like SQL server and master SQL, you can get a sweet job, with just DB skills.
If you want to work in programming, SQL is good to know, it opens so many doors and opportunities.

Old 01-17-2015, 01:14 AM

1,111 posts, read 598,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
No, but I'm really interested in learning. I enrolled in a class on Udemy, but I haven't had a lot of time to get really serious about it, though. I need to find time, but my two jobs and attempt at a social life take most of my free hours. I need a good study schedule. I had no idea I would actually be busier out of college than when I was taking classes. The world of work is tough!
As others have mentioned, JavaScript is a great language to learn web development with. It's used on both, the front-end and back-end, which means that with one language, you can be proficient across the entire web application stack. JavaScript it also a very powerful object-oriented programming language that is used by companies like Facebook and Twitter.

However, it makes sense to learn HTML (and most likely CSS) first.

Old 01-17-2015, 08:28 AM

4,366 posts, read 3,648,486 times
Okay,

I guess I'm asking to have my hand held, but could someone recommend a study schedule? I learn things pretty quickly, but I just don't have enough time. I have a beginner's guide to HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, but I haven't cracked it open much. There's a lot I want to learn, but I just can't bring myself to take the time to study. Plus, I'm busy with work; I teach ESL, and I work as a substitute teacher who needs to be kind of well-versed in the subjects I teach if I want the students to take me seriously.

Old 01-17-2015, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
As others have mentioned, JavaScript is a great language to learn web development with. It's used on both, the front-end and back-end, which means that with one language, you can be proficient across the entire web application stack. JavaScript it also a very powerful object-oriented programming language that is used by companies like Facebook and Twitter.

However, it makes sense to learn HTML (and most likely CSS) first.

If you only know java script, it's not enough to get a job with.

If you learn SQL, you can get a job with that, even in a business function SQL knowledge is always an asset.

If you know HTML, CSS and Java Script, maybe you can get an internship....

Some-one that wants to learn programming has to study a real language with Objects and Events and logical processing.

If you work in a business function and know SQL, that will always enhance your resume that is always an asset one can bank on. That is real skill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers