U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 04:10 PM

2,760 posts, read 2,821,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Okay,

I guess I'm asking to have my hand held, but could someone recommend a study schedule? I learn things pretty quickly, but I just don't have enough time. I have a beginner's guide to HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, but I haven't cracked it open much. There's a lot I want to learn, but I just can't bring myself to take the time to study. Plus, I'm busy with work; I teach ESL, and I work as a substitute teacher who needs to be kind of well-versed in the subjects I teach if I want the students to take me seriously.

Why do you want to study computer programming?

Pluralsight
Lynda.com
Home

There is allot of sites where you can get instructor led classes online with homework and practice exercises.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 04:32 PM

980 posts, read 596,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
If you only know java script, it's not enough to get a job with.
Really? Looks like there are companies in NYC willing to pay $154,000 average salary for JavaScript developers.: javascript Salary in New York, NY 10001 | Indeed.com
Quote:
If you learn SQL, you can get a job with that, even in a business function SQL knowledge is always an asset.
Sure, but you'd have to settle for making around $30,000 less on average: : SQL Salary in New York, NY 10001 | Indeed.com
Quote:
If you know HTML, CSS and Java Script, maybe you can get an internship....
There's no need to know all three. Plenty of JavaScript developers don't know HTML and CSS. But they still earn $154,000. Do you really think internships are paying $154,000?
Quote:

Some-one that wants to learn programming has to study a real language with Objects and Events and logical processing.
Which is why JavaScript is an excellent choice... especially for the OP who wants to develop websites.
Quote:

If you work in a business function and know SQL, that will always enhance your resume that is always an asset one can bank on. That is real skill.
Here's a good time to point out that SQL is on the decline. In fact, NoSQL jobs pay, on average, $20,000 MORE than SQL jobs: nosql Salary in New York, NY 10001 | Indeed.com

It seems like you're not familiar with programming or you are new to the field. That's okay. But it would be good if you stopped spreading false information.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:38 PM

1,111 posts, read 598,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
kmb501 , this is a good resource. Lots of free videos. There's even a good tutorial on using Node that you can use when you get to more advanced javascript.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
Really? Looks like there are companies in NYC willing to pay $154,000 average salary for JavaScript developers.: javascript Salary in New York, NY 10001 | Indeed.com

Sure, but you'd have to settle for making around $30,000 less on average: : SQL Salary in New York, NY 10001 | Indeed.com

There's no need to know all three. Plenty of JavaScript developers don't know HTML and CSS. But they still earn $154,000. Do you really think internships are paying $154,000?

Which is why JavaScript is an excellent choice... especially for the OP who wants to develop websites.

Here's a good time to point out that SQL is on the decline. In fact, NoSQL jobs pay, on average, $20,000 MORE than SQL jobs: nosql Salary in New York, NY 10001 | Indeed.com

It seems like you're not familiar with programming or you are new to the field. That's okay. But it would be good if you stopped spreading false information.

Basically yawn, I dialed Indeed.com on my keyboard, and then I put NYC zip code and java script as skill. Did I find any jobs for java script ? Or did I find jobs for Java ?

Then I went to Dice.com, and did a search for java script jobs there, also, no java script job.

Now, I went to Indeed and looked for a NoSQL job, guess what, they all requiter relational DB knowledge.

I think it is free to create fake jobs on Indeed, maybe you should create a couple to prove your point.

Old 01-20-2015, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Basically yawn, I dialed Indeed.com on my keyboard, and then I put NYC zip code and java script as skill. Did I find any jobs for java script ? Or did I find jobs for Java ?

Then I went to Dice.com, and did a search for java script jobs there, also, no java script job.

Now, I went to Indeed and looked for a NoSQL job, guess what, they all requiter relational DB knowledge.

I think it is free to create fake jobs on Indeed, maybe you should create a couple to prove your point.
Mr.Hospitality did prove his point. Search for node.js and you'll see the real JavaScript salaries. Here's the link for dice.com: https://www.dice.com/jobs?q=node.js&l=10001

It appears that you aren't too good at searching. Searching for Java Script won't return proper results because there's no space in JavaScript.

It was an interesting exercise. I know that JavaScript is really hot right now, but I didn't know it paid that much more than .Net. Why you're so out of touch with programming and feel that there are no jobs for JavaScript developers is beyond me. Good to know.

Old 01-20-2015, 11:06 PM

7,249 posts, read 5,708,713 times
Quote:

Search harder (or at all). I checked dice and found hundreds (even excluding the ones that also ask for java knowledge) in a couple seconds.

Old 01-20-2015, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Search harder (or at all). I checked dice and found hundreds (even excluding the ones that also ask for java knowledge) in a couple seconds.
Just to help out those who are not good at search: https://www.dice.com/jobs?q=javascript+-java&l=10001

Old 01-20-2015, 11:09 PM

link please ?

Old 01-20-2015, 11:13 PM

Quote:
link please ?
https://www.dice.com/jobs?q=javascript+-java&l=10001

https://www.dice.com/jobs?q=node.js&l=10001

Old 01-20-2015, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
Just to help out those who are not good at search:
https://www.dice.com/jobs?q=javascript+-java&l=10001

Expert in Javascript, HTML and CSS... lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers