U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 11:21 PM

980 posts, read 595,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
Basically yawn, I dialed Indeed.com on my keyboard, and then I put NYC zip code and java script as skill. Did I find any jobs for java script ? Or did I find jobs for Java ?

Then I went to Dice.com, and did a search for java script jobs there, also, no java script job.

Now, I went to Indeed and looked for a NoSQL job, guess what, they all requiter relational DB knowledge.

I think it is free to create fake jobs on Indeed, maybe you should create a couple to prove your point.
It does seem like you're a bit too tired to think straight (or even search dice straight). Get some rest, and try again when you're at the top of your game. You'll find some jobs when you search for JavaScript or one of it's runtimes/frameworks (node.js, angular.js ,etc).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 11:22 PM

7,249 posts, read 5,707,474 times
So we've gone from there are zero jobs to "lol"?

Why not just admit you're wrong? Or disappear.

Old 01-20-2015, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
Expert in Javascript, HTML and CSS... lol
Most of them say "Experience in NodeJS" as well. You should read more than one line. Yes, you have to have skills to get a job.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:11 PM

1,111 posts, read 598,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Search harder (or at all). I checked dice and found hundreds (even excluding the ones that also ask for java knowledge) in a couple seconds.
There are hundreds of JavaScript jobs out there. I'd be concerned about taking advice about learning web programming from someone who cannot search on the internet.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:34 PM

2,760 posts, read 2,820,758 times
In the mean while we are upgrading our IIS stuff to Win Server 2012r2.

Not a single program written in java script.

Old 01-30-2015, 04:42 AM

4,366 posts, read 3,646,921 times
Okay, could someone recap for me? Which programming languages should I try to learn?

Old 01-30-2015, 08:09 PM

Learn either Java or .Net with C #, learn SQL.

C++ is also good to learn.

If you want to learn how to build better websites for your students learn CSS, Javscirpt, HTML. If you want a career in programming learn a real programing language and a relational database.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Okay, could someone recap for me? Which programming languages should I try to learn?
If you want to learn "Real Website Programming", there are three essential things you need to know:

HTML: The markup language that describes the webpage (organizes the content).

CSS: A stylesheet language that explains visual presentation of the content (color, animation, mouse-hover, etc).

JavaScript: A powerful object-oriented programming language used to apply logic to your webpages. JavaScript runs on both the backend (server) and frontend (web browser). You can use it to manipulate data, store and retrieve data from databases, and many other powerful things.

All the popular websites use all three of these technologies. All use JavaScript on the frontend (in the web browser). Many (Facebook, Netflix, Instagram, New York Times, Yahoo and many others) use JavaScript on the backend (on the server).

It will also help to be familiar with a high performance database such as Redis, MongoDB, Oracle NoSQL etc. Especially if you are looking to work in the field.

Other modern languages used by the big tech companies include Ruby, Go (used by Google for gmail, google maps, etc.), Python and Scala.

Some older technologies that are still popular include Java, PHP, and PERL. C++ will always be good to know, even though it's not that popular in web programming.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:10 PM

Because web programmers who develop with JSP, ASP, PHP are not real web developers, they are fake web developers... Let's just call em amateurs compared to HTML and CCS "developers".

SQL Server DBA's is yet another class of amateurs compared to people who know basics of NoSQL

ASP developers are simply old people near retirement who are to lazy to learn the "real web development tools" such as HTML5.

We do use java script in various flavors, but a scripting language does not a programmer make ! We enhance programs that run on popular browsers with java script.

To original poster
To become a software developer people go to college, that's where they learn about compilers, data structures, variables and scopes, event driven and OO programming, and then they take advanced programming classes from that point on.
That is why I am saying that one should learn real programming language, not a scripting one. Something that will give you fundamentals. Programming technologies always change, it's the ability to adopt that makes a good Software person.

Those fundamentals need to be there, otherwise one might go into graphic design with all that ccs knowledge .

Old 02-03-2015, 04:25 PM

I just googled what Facebook uses, and it says it's build with PHP, not JavaScript...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers