Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 05:27 PM

56 posts, read 75,343 times

Advertisements

So, let's just say that I myself am very strange with my passions. From a very young age, I've loved computers and have mashed away (like many) at gaming, mods, and have basic knowledge about computer repairs. In addition, I've also taken quite an interest to history, psychology, and space science. Now that I'm older and in highschool, I'd like to perhaps take a major in computer science and perhaps someday move to somewhere where lots of jobs are available for the line of work. Some places I've heard are areas (In America) like LA, NY, CH, and other major urban cities. The only problem is, I can barely get away with an A in math in standard Algebra classes. Unfortunately, me and math never have really seen eye to eye with one another and my SAT/ACT scores don't shine too brightly in that area either.

As far as my interests are concerned, I'd probably want to get into programming, web design, or game design. On one hand, I'm rather upset because computers have always been my hobby and the fact how I've been told that if I can't manage to overcome my math obstacles I could likely fail. If anyone out here has been in the same boat or has advice in this subject, I would highly appreciate any information that could help. I just don't want to land myself in loads of college debt that could potentially take me years to pay off with no real payout. Yes, the simple answer could be to get better at math or try something else but, I'd like the best way for me to succeed and follow my goals at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 05:43 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
There seems to be a few different things that you are discussing here.

1. You grades/education/math: A lot of people struggle in one subject or another and for many, math is the one. All that means is that you need to put more time into it. You don't have to do it alone. Get a tutor and spend a lot of time with them going over your trouble points. This kind of investment upfront will pay off down the road... especially if you plan to attend college.

2. Computer science is math heavy. There's no doubt about that. If you want to work in computer science, you need to be able to grasp complex mathematics. Advanced Calculus and Linear Algebra is just the beginning and are heavily dependent on algebra. There's very little opportunity for computer scientists without getting the math down.

3. There are plenty of jobs where you are a user of computers and computing technology. Many of which do not require a deep understanding of math. IT and digital design are an example of fields that contain these jobs.

4. College debt is overrated.

Old 01-04-2015, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
There seems to be a few different things that you are discussing here.

1. You grades/education/math: A lot of people struggle in one subject or another and for many, math is the one. All that means is that you need to put more time into it. You don't have to do it alone. Get a tutor and spend a lot of time with them going over your trouble points. This kind of investment upfront will pay off down the road... especially if you plan to attend college.

2. Computer science is math heavy. There's no doubt about that. If you want to work in computer science, you need to be able to grasp complex mathematics. Advanced Calculus and Linear Algebra is just the beginning and are heavily dependent on algebra. There's very little opportunity for computer scientists without getting the math down.

3. There are plenty of jobs where you are a user of computers and computing technology. Many of which do not require a deep understanding of math. IT and digital design are an example of fields that contain these jobs.

4. College debt is overrated.
Well, that's quite a morale booster. I already have a math tutor who helps me each day with studies that I struggle in. In fact, he's been able to help me come from a D to an A in standard algebra. Now that I'm on the right path in math, we tend to go over things like the ACT/SAT whenever we get the chance. If you were me, what would you recommend I study and or practice if I want to be successful in computer science and succeed at obtaining a good career in my desired field of study?

And for a P.S., could you elaborate on what you yourself meant by college debt being overrated. You probably obviously meant people get too worked up about it, but I can sometimes miss easy keys like this.

Thanks!

Old 01-04-2015, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelcoreXD View Post
Well, that's quite a morale booster. I already have a math tutor who helps me each day with studies that I struggle in. In fact, he's been able to help me come from a D to an A in standard algebra. Now that I'm on the right path in math, we tend to go over things like the ACT/SAT whenever we get the chance. If you were me, what would you recommend I study and or practice if I want to be successful in computer science and succeed at obtaining a good career in my desired field of study?

And for a P.S., could you elaborate on what you yourself meant by college debt being overrated. You probably obviously meant people get too worked up about it, but I can sometimes miss easy keys like this.

Thanks!
The steps you take now should depend on what you want to be. You mentioned an interest in "gaming, mods, and have basic knowledge about computer repairs" and "history, psychology, and space science" and "programming, web design, or game design"..... all of which are not necessarily computer science and many of which aren't math heavy.

If you want to be successful in computer science, I suggest you pick up computer science textbooks.

Taking on college debt is overrated. It's a much better option to go to a good school with an endowment that provides grants instead of requiring you to take loans.

Old 01-04-2015, 07:16 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,427,433 times
If you want to be in programming, you should study Computer Science in college. Take a look at the math classes you have to take in College. Calculus 1, Calculus 2, Probability and Statistics.. Since your still in high-school, then there is High-school level math that you have to take, Trig, Pre-calck, Intro to Statistics... Use tutors all you want, just get good grades.

In computer programming we use the logic of mathematics, that's why people study it college.

Old 01-04-2015, 07:58 PM

One does not need to study computer science to simply be a programmer. Just like how one does not need to study physics to be an electrician.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:31 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,799,364 times
Are you aware there are different areas in computer field that aren't tied to "Computer Science." I've met many in the management field that are not good in math. Keep in mind if lower level jobs are easily outsource labor from India. It is not just low level technical, but even high level technical position too.

Maybe you can get into QA.

Would you have caught this Yosemity?
Attached Thumbnails
Advice if I'm bad at math but passionate about Computer Science?-rd.png  

Old 01-04-2015, 09:20 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,427,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
One does not need to study computer science to simply be a programmer. Just like how one does not need to study physics to be an electrician.

One needs a college degree.

Old 01-04-2015, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
One needs a college degree.
I would agree, but many say otherwise. Could you please elaborate your opinion as to why?

Old 01-04-2015, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelcoreXD View Post
I would agree, but many say otherwise. Could you please elaborate your opinion as to why?
There's a few good threads by kmb501 about how he is learning to program by reading books and online tutorials. While you need experience and practice to get good at programming, you certainly don't need a degree. Visit a tech company and you'll notice that half of the programmers don't have degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers