Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2015, 10:59 AM

8,053 posts, read 12,774,958 times

Advertisements

My Mom is wanting a replacement for her 10 year old Dell computer (running windows xp ). She is in her 80's so it is likely to be the last computer she will buy. She is really into photography and will be running photoshop and a couple of other photo programs.

She is "comfortable" with Dell computers however I suggested she also look at ASUS since they seem to have good reviews. My main reason is that they manufacture the internals (motherboard, video cards, sound cards) as opposed to Dell that just assembles the components.

Both Dell and Asus are roughly the same price for the features.

I have an ASUS laptop that has been trouble free for over two years now.

Any opinions? Both have a 12 month warranty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 01:59 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,669,820 times
I just purchased a new Dell PC and ASUS monitor and am happy with both (though the ASUS monitor has some periodic HDMI connection issues - we'll see how that plays out). I think both are value equal in terms of quality.

I do want to correct a misconception regarding Dell (and Apple and HP, for that matter). All use other suppliers for their computer internals, but each engineers those internals to their own specifications (which explains why some Dell parts cannot be interchanged with generic components, for example). Companies like Dell are not simply "assemblers."

One thing I like about Dell (and I've owned a number of Dell, HP and Apple products) is that their PCs (and I'm assuming your mother is looking for a desktop) are incredibly quiet. I can't even hear my new Inspiron running.

In any case, it's all a matter of taste. Buy whichever one your mother feels most comfortable with. Either an ASUS or Dell should give her a good experience.

Best of luck.

Old 01-04-2015, 02:06 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,572 posts, read 81,167,557 times
I'm also happy with the Asus laptop I'm on now, I just don't like Windows 8.1 and wish I could have gotten it with 7. If she is used to 7 or below, I would go for anything you can find that still comes with 7, even used. At that age I can't imagine having to learn 8.

Old 01-04-2015, 05:03 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,116,205 times
I built two custom computers in the USA with Asus motherboards. I sent them both to the Phillippines and within 3 years both mb's broke.

Old 01-05-2015, 06:03 AM

She is only looking at systems that come with windows 7 on the advice of myself and my brother.

I found this article about long term failure rates on laptops- found it interesting. I don't know if it translates to desktop failure rates though.

3 Year Laptop Malfunction Rates By Manufacturer | Statistic Brain

Old 01-05-2015, 06:29 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,254,148 times
I bought an Asus i5 from Staples months ago and I have never been happier with a computer and I have had a lot of computers over the years. The reason I decided on the Asus was the ratings and the issues I have had with other brands. Buying any computer can be a gamble, so IMO the best we can do is look at the ratings.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:32 AM

30 posts, read 46,216 times
OP, I'd go with a Laptop instead of a bulky Desktop. I'm not sure what your budget is? So I'll recommend some laptops, at the end of this post, below the $500 mark that can run Photoshop and I'll make sure they have windows 7.

I know laptops typically have smaller screens, but you can get a 20"+ monitor, HDMI cable, and mouse to go with a Laptop and it will make using Photoshop a lot better. The largest laptop screens are about 17", which that's a good size, but a larger screen for touching up images is better IMO.

Things to look for in a laptop:

-Get a 3rd Generation Intel Processor or higher (they came out in 2012). From 3rd gen up they have Intel HD 4000+ Graphics cards built in, which are surprisingly good for video, photo editing, and even video games). An Intel i5 3xxxM series are the cheapest for a good Photoshop experience. 4th Gen 4xxx series came out around 2013 and are slightly better and improved battery life. Lastly 5th Gen is the latest 5xxx series, they just came out but are probably not yet available on lower end laptops.

-HDMI port. It's pretty standard, just make sure it has one so you can connect it to a TV or monitor.

-Memory (RAM) 4GB minimum. Look for 6GB or more for Photoshop, you'll be surprised how much memory it uses.

Since I'm recommending laptops on a budget, keep in mind they are not going to be the fastest out there. They won't have a Solid State hard-drive or the most memory. The Hard-drive and memory can be upgraded later if you need. However, You'll be stuck with the processor, which is why I stress going with an Intel i5 at minimum as apposed to an i3. AMD is another brand of processors that you'll see, but from my bias opinion are not as great as Intel so avoid them.

I found these for you:
Samsung Series 3 NP300E5C-A02US on Amazon for $413.74

Lenovo B50 Windows 7 Professional Laptop 59422966 from Amazon $500.75

Dell Inspiron i3542-6666BK from Amazon $498.00

Lenovo being my favorite. They have a good reputation for making good business class laptops and the quality and support are great too.

Last edited by delfrogo; 01-07-2015 at 07:38 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 01-09-2015, 04:24 PM

She decided on the ASUS computer. I didn't think she could go wrong with either the Dell or ASUS but she found a good deal on this model;

Asus M11AA Desktop PC - Intel Core i5-3340S 2.80GHz, 8GB Memory, 1TB HDD, DVDRW, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit - M11AA-US003Q at TigerDirect.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers