U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 09:08 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,019,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Get the most RAM you can as it cannot be upgraded later.
Get the largest "disk" you can afford.
CPU speed is not as important.

Agreed... the 16GB 256GB was perfect for me... as said I have a 2TB ATC for storage.

I didn't feel the Nvidia GPU and extra 256GB was worth an extra $500 so I passed on that... the base Pro will do everything I need (AutoCAD plus amateur photo/video editing) just fine.

On a side note, loving the 2.2 quad core i7. It wasn't the biggest reason I bought the machine though... that honor goes to the retina display.

Just amazing...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 10:10 AM

3,545 posts, read 5,679,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
They did that with the old Mac Book Airs, put a different battery with the nvidia units, I'm surprised they are still doing it, but guess it is necessary for marketing.

Going back to the OP, would they need to purchase a full retail or OEM Windows, or do they get something special for being a student such as MSDN?
An OEM / Retail version would be fine. I don't believe that there is an inexpensive MSDN variant that contains OS licenses (not even sure that any MSDN package contains OS licenses anymore).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers