U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 09:13 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 6,823,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
A couple of thoughts:

I'm pretty sure that XBMC/Kodi can act as a DLNA client (although I haven't tried it myself): UPnP - Kodi

Also, and I know that this is the opposite of what you are asking but ... have Looked at something like Plex? It's a DLNA server, but also has dedicated clients that dramatically improve the experience IMO. They have clients for most streaming boxes, Android, Windows (desktop or Win8 app), browser, etc.

Plex also has the ability to extend the server outside of the house to dedicated clients (that was missing last time I looked at Servioo), so you can use clients like Android when away from home.
Thanks Skunk, I would be willing to check it out. I am not married to Serviio, it just works and has a free version. It's served me well for the last few years but I am always open to other software.

I will check out your suggestions and see how they pan out!

Thank You!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 10:57 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
A couple of thoughts:

I'm pretty sure that XBMC/Kodi can act as a DLNA client (although I haven't tried it myself): UPnP - Kodi

Also, and I know that this is the opposite of what you are asking but ... have Looked at something like Plex? It's a DLNA server, but also has dedicated clients that dramatically improve the experience IMO. They have clients for most streaming boxes, Android, Windows (desktop or Win8 app), browser, etc.

Plex also has the ability to extend the server outside of the house to dedicated clients (that was missing last time I looked at Servioo), so you can use clients like Android when away from home.
Just to add some feedback I ended up installing Plex and ditching Serviio (which served me well for many years). So I like the Netflix "feel" of Flex and it does a great job of serving up my content via a browser and my mobile dlna clients.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:03 AM

3,587 posts, read 2,573,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Just to add some feedback I ended up installing Plex and ditching Serviio (which served me well for many years). So I like the Netflix "feel" of Flex and it does a great job of serving up my content via a browser and my mobile dlna clients.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Yeah Plex is awesome, I even signed up for their premium service so I can sync to my phone and view my stuff when I'm away!

Old 01-29-2015, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Yeah Plex is awesome, I even signed up for their premium service so I can sync to my phone and view my stuff when I'm away!
Well I heard about it on this forum (first) but didn't get the fact that you stream to a browser, I was looking for a fat client like VLC so that took me longer to get it going. I saw a friend of mine stream media from his home server to another friends TV via a Roku 3 - so at that point I was sold. I'm going to get a cheap Roku 3 on ebay for my folks so they can stream stuff from my server.

So what exactly do you get with premium? Seems the couple Plex users I now know opted to sign up. I might be compelled to do so just not sure what I would get over what's free now.

Old 01-29-2015, 06:53 PM

3,545 posts, read 5,679,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Well I heard about it on this forum (first) but didn't get the fact that you stream to a browser, I was looking for a fat client like VLC so that took me longer to get it going. I saw a friend of mine stream media from his home server to another friends TV via a Roku 3 - so at that point I was sold. I'm going to get a cheap Roku 3 on ebay for my folks so they can stream stuff from my server.

So what exactly do you get with premium? Seems the couple Plex users I now know opted to sign up. I might be compelled to do so just not sure what I would get over what's free now.

That's the nice thing about Plex, it can stream to either the browser, or to clients (Plex app or DLNA clients).

We use it mostly on Roku and Android devices, but I occasionally watch in the browser on my PC.

Plex Pass gets you:

• Pre-Release versions.
  • Background syncing to devices (so that you don't have to stream), or to cloud services like dropbox.
  • A dedicated forum, and a vote on new features
  • A bunch of extras on the server side (users, trailers, etc)

Old 02-28-2015, 10:26 AM

4,883 posts, read 2,500,163 times
i use multiple xbmcbuntu machines as both my dlna server and client.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or