U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 08:28 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 6,825,345 times

Advertisements

I have a great DLNA media server (serviio, works amazing). Works great with my samsung blu-ray player, and I can stream just about anything to my TV from my Windows Serviio-DLNA server. Also works great streaming to Andriod devices using the many DLNA client apps. There are times I actually want to stream to another computer (Windows). For the life of me, I can't find a good (or really any) DLNA client for the PC. Somewhat odd. I know they *must* exist. I could do file sharing but I don't like that approach (mapping network drives and all that is a bit old school and I've had issues with it in the past).

Any thoughts on a decent Windows based DLNA client software? I prefer free but I would be willing to pay for it if it delivers.

Note: I've already looked at VLC and it supposedly can do it but the implementation is broken in the latest version and doesn't work (and I'd rather not down grade VLC to try and see if a previous version works).

Thank You!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 08:34 AM

11,849 posts, read 13,973,633 times
Doesn't Windows Media Player support that feature already?

Old 01-07-2015, 08:47 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Doesn't Windows Media Player support that feature already?
Well that's what I thought, but I can't use Windows Media as a client - Windows Media Player can be used as a server, but I can't seem to find (or it doesn't have) the ability to be used as a client

Old 01-07-2015, 10:46 AM

Getting started with media streaming - Microsoft Windows Help

Old 01-07-2015, 01:13 PM

LIke I said, I don't want to use my computer as a server I want to use it as a client.

Old 01-07-2015, 03:59 PM

Right, but if you have your "Home Group" set up properly you just setup from the server what devices can have access.
About a third of the way down the page.
-or-

Change settings for streaming media in Windows Media Player

Old 01-08-2015, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Right, but if you have your "Home Group" set up properly you just setup from the server what devices can have access.
About a third of the way down the page.
-or-

Change settings for streaming media in Windows Media Player
checking but I still don't see how I can use Windows Media player as a DLNA/UnPnP client

Old 01-08-2015, 09:46 AM

3,587 posts, read 2,575,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
checking but I still don't see how I can use Windows Media player as a DLNA/UnPnP client
I've used Windows Media Player as a DLNA client in the past, I know it works. You may even be able to (depending on how your server is setup) simply go to Network and Sharing Center and have it show right up! I've never used Serviio though so I'm not sure how that program works.

In the past I've always used PS3 Media Server.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:40 AM

3,545 posts, read 5,682,491 times
A couple of thoughts:

I'm pretty sure that XBMC/Kodi can act as a DLNA client (although I haven't tried it myself): UPnP - Kodi

Also, and I know that this is the opposite of what you are asking but ... have Looked at something like Plex? It's a DLNA server, but also has dedicated clients that dramatically improve the experience IMO. They have clients for most streaming boxes, Android, Windows (desktop or Win8 app), browser, etc.

Plex also has the ability to extend the server outside of the house to dedicated clients (that was missing last time I looked at Servioo), so you can use clients like Android when away from home.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
I've used Windows Media Player as a DLNA client in the past, I know it works. You may even be able to (depending on how your server is setup) simply go to Network and Sharing Center and have it show right up! I've never used Serviio though so I'm not sure how that program works.

In the past I've always used PS3 Media Server.
Well it *could* be there - honestly I haven't liked Windows Media Player since I think Windows 7 - they got way to fancy and got away from a simple player interface that plays everything. I use VLC for local media. I will continue to check. Was your experience on Windows 7 and Windows 8 where you got it to work?

Serviio is great for using a computer as a server. It works well with my samsung bluray, tv, ipad/android, etc. So I am surprised that I can't get it working on my computer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or