U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 10:55 PM

4,356 posts, read 4,298,137 times

Advertisements

I was told to get an older version 2012 w/ OS using Mtn Lion or is it only the newer one, Mavericks which was used in the older version? Have no idea re this as want to upgrade this older laptop Lenovo I use. Can anyone advise here? I read much bad re the new version of Yosemite & Mac mini's, so not sure how to go.

Ok, if anyone can offer up a package idea (I have an older Dell monitor, Magic mouse & Logitech keyboard give me by my sis that'll work I guess, but need the actual Mac Mini version. I looked Amazon & Ebay, & most are under $600 used depending on condition w/shipping, but was told not to buy any refurb ones.

Thx for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 07:27 AM

9,356 posts, read 16,140,471 times
2012 had the FireWire 800 and dvd drive, which are no loner integrated. Do you use those ?

Personally I would go new with Yosemite I haven't had any problems with it, and the CPUs are much faster.

I'm not sure what you mean by package for $600??? Are you taking buying the Mac mini with monitor and everything? I just buy the Bluetooth devices and use any Hdmi monitor.

Old 01-08-2015, 12:56 PM

7,139 posts, read 9,060,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
I was told to get an older version 2012 w/ OS using Mtn Lion or is it only the newer one, Mavericks which was used in the older version? Have no idea re this as want to upgrade this older laptop Lenovo I use. Can anyone advise here? I read much bad re the new version of Yosemite & Mac mini's, so not sure how to go.

Ok, if anyone can offer up a package idea (I have an older Dell monitor, Magic mouse & Logitech keyboard give me by my sis that'll work I guess, but need the actual Mac Mini version. I looked Amazon & Ebay, & most are under $600 used depending on condition w/shipping, but was told not to buy any refurb ones.

Thx for any advice.
You can go older then 2012 if you like. Any Mac made in the last eight years will work fine. I'm running 10.6 Snow Leopard on all my Macs, and they work fine. I'm also running 10.5 Leopard on my 11 year old Power Mac G5. Thats a bit dated, but it still works for a lot of things. Just make sure that what ever you are buying is Core 2 Duo or better.

I have no clue why someone would tell you not to buy a refurb. Apple refurbs come with the exact same warranty that new Macs do.

My recommendation would be if you can afford it, and can find one (they sell out almost immediately) buy a refurb Mac Mini from Apple. Otherwise take your chances and get and older used Mac Mini. Just know that you might be buying someone else's lemon. So make sure the price is good.

Refurbished Mac mini - Apple Certified , 1-Year Warranty - Apple Store (U.S.)

Old 01-09-2015, 08:23 PM

Ok, thx to KaaBoom I'm going to buy either a used or refurb off either Apple's store online or Amazon.

Anyone know who'd be a better deal from? With Apple's store there aren't any refurbs other than the $499 lower end model newest, but I want the older 2012 model, & so only Amazon's Marketplace has any of those models left.

The choice is between a used one in new-like cond. or a refurb, period. Refurbs are cheaper $ but why is this so, if refurbs are better revamped & checked out, than any other just plain "used" model -- that are actually just sold in "like new to very good condition"?

In essence what differs a "refurb" one, from a "like new" Mac Mini from 2012 year??

Ok, let me know you Mac gurus. Thx.

Old 01-10-2015, 01:20 AM

7,139 posts, read 9,060,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Ok, thx to KaaBoom I'm going to buy either a used or refurb off either Apple's store online or Amazon.

Anyone know who'd be a better deal from? With Apple's store there aren't any refurbs other than the $499 lower end model newest, but I want the older 2012 model, & so only Amazon's Marketplace has any of those models left.

The choice is between a used one in new-like cond. or a refurb, period. Refurbs are cheaper $ but why is this so, if refurbs are better revamped & checked out, than any other just plain "used" model -- that are actually just sold in "like new to very good condition"?

In essence what differs a "refurb" one, from a "like new" Mac Mini from 2012 year??

Ok, let me know you Mac gurus. Thx.
Apple refubs are refurbished, tested, repackaged, and include a 1-year warranty (same as a new Mac). They came in a like new condition.

Old 01-10-2015, 12:49 PM

7,249 posts, read 5,709,178 times
Why do you want the 2012 model?

Old 01-10-2015, 07:16 PM

Found a Mac Mini refurb 2011 model w/ 2.3 Ghz, 4 GB, 500 Ram here Tucson for sale @ $400 down from $450. I can buy this wk. U guys think its ok? Or should I buy more space, etc.? Any advice will help as have no idea re Macs, period.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:10 PM

Ok its tween a 2021 w/o a IR sensor & status LED. Unsure if I even need these to function well but who knows, anyone? I think the 2012 would be a better deal, as it is 8GB vs the 2011 above w/ only 4GB -- & also the 2011 is a yr older. But those 2 broken items on the 2012 concern me as being new to Macs, I have no clue as to their importance in day to day function.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:18 PM

16,726 posts, read 29,330,321 times
See if you can buy refurbished from Apple. I would also buy a newer one if available.

Amazon has refurbished Apple products, but I have no idea what year these are. However, official "Apple refurbished" come with the original warranty, which is a plus. Make sure it comes with an Apple's warranty, not the store warranty, before you buy.
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_92ibuxrgns_b

Also check B&H for refurbished as well as older versions (2012 and so):
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=REG&A=details

Last edited by RayinAK; 01-11-2015 at 09:27 PM..

Old 01-13-2015, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
See if you can buy refurbished from Apple. I would also buy a newer one if available.

Amazon has refurbished Apple products, but I have no idea what year these are. However, official "Apple refurbished" come with the original warranty, which is a plus. Make sure it comes with an Apple's warranty, not the store warranty, before you buy.
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_92ibuxrgns_b

Also check B&H for refurbished as well as older versions (2012 and so):
Apple Mac mini Desktop Computer (Late 2012) MD387LL/A B&H Photo
Thx & will get back to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers