U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2015, 09:15 PM

4,826 posts, read 7,416,150 times

Advertisements

My desktop konked out on me a while back and I've been using my laptop ever since. I tried to hook up my desktop's printer to my laptop (both Dell) but it wouldn't work. This weekend, I remembered that I purchased a wireless printer for my daughter. I never hooked it up because my daughter doesn't do much printing and, when she does, she does it at school.

I tried to hook the wireless printer (HP) to my laptop and went through the entire installation process but it wouldn't work. I called HP support but they wouldn't help me unless I paid them since the printer is out of the warranty period (90 days from date of purchase).

I then tried to hook it up to my daughter's laptop (Toshiba) and it wouldn't work there, either.

I thought about it afterwards and was thinking that because it's an HP, maybe it only works with HP computers? Or maybe a Dell or Toshiba computer won't work with anything other than a Dell or Toshiba printer?

I'm NOT "tech savvy" so I don't need any sarcastic or snide comments. I'm looking for information and/or advice on how I can get this working or should I just go out and buy a Dell or Toshiba printer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 09:55 PM

16,726 posts, read 29,330,321 times
The installation process usually requires installing the software that comes with the printer, which includes the driver. Otherwise go the the HP website and follow the installation instructions for the printer. It's free and they have the step-by-step instructions.

Old 01-10-2015, 09:59 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,979,772 times
An HP printer should work with any brand of computer. RayinAK gave excellent advice.

One thing to note is that the Wireless printer needs to be put on your wireless network (just like your computer is).

Old 01-10-2015, 10:01 PM

21,550 posts, read 24,690,260 times
First uninstall the printers software from your computer. Next go into the setup screen on the wireless printer and put in your router information into it, thus making it wireless through your router. Next, after deleting the HP software completely from your computer, restart it. Once up and running, run the HP software. It'll load some software and it'll come to a spot for finding the printer. Let it search for it (it may take several minutes to find it).Once it does, highlight it and follow the on screen instructions. HP printers seem to take upwards of an hour to run through the entire procedure. You should be able to do a test print by the end. Keep in mind of two things: If your computer is too far away from the printer, it may not locate it as its wifi is not as strong as that in a computer. Second, if you have a low power or G router, then it may also not find the printer and thus not make the connection. Good luck.

Old 01-10-2015, 10:18 PM

4,826 posts, read 7,416,150 times
I did ALL of this. I used the disc that came with the printer and followed their step-by-step instructions. The computer was right next to the printer and the router was right underneath. The router is a brand new one from my internet provider and it's the newest possible model.

I don't know if it took an hour but it did say it would do a test print and then I got a big red X

I can try again in the morning but I don't want to waste my entire Sunday messing with this. I am SO frustrated!

Old 01-11-2015, 02:38 AM

177 posts, read 275,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
I did ALL of this. I used the disc that came with the printer and followed their step-by-step instructions. The computer was right next to the printer and the router was right underneath. The router is a brand new one from my internet provider and it's the newest possible model.

I don't know if it took an hour but it did say it would do a test print and then I got a big red X

I can try again in the morning but I don't want to waste my entire Sunday messing with this. I am SO frustrated!
Here are some gotchas make sure the network router is DHCP so it hands out IP addresses and the printer is set to use DHCP to get its assigned IP address. How old is the printer? is it Ink or laser. What is the Os of the laptop. Are there more than one PC on the network? I've had trouble in the past with having multiple OS's on the network and having the security protocol of the router be higher then the printer would accept. Some times the way Vista or 8 handles local or work networks blocks out printer connections Make sure file and printer sharing is enabled on the laptop or it may not work through a network connection.

If you are that close to it I would use a USB connection to hook up to the printer. The other thing is that you can be too close to the router for a good signal The older HP printers liked 5-10 ft between each device You said that it was a cable modem is the service set to provide connections to multiple devices?

I hope this helps you troubleshoot your problem

Old 01-11-2015, 08:49 AM

5,834 posts, read 9,220,537 times
Couldn't you just use an ethernet cable to connect the printer to your router and then it would be a network printer? If both the router and printer have an open ethernet plug it ought to work.

How to Install a Network Printer: 9 Steps - wikiHow

Old 09-06-2018, 07:55 AM

13,332 posts, read 20,382,420 times
Which firewall? Windows firewall, some other software firewall, or on your router?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or