U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2015, 11:52 AM

258 posts, read 269,216 times

Advertisements

Hello. If my laptop was working, I would spend time googling this, but since I have such limited minutes - I figured maybe someone on here could help.

I have a Lenovo laptop that I LIVE on all day every day and will be in a world of hurt if it stops working totally - (it just died during that last sentence)...Here is what is going on:

A week or so ago, I noticed that when I turned it on, the screen had a reddish/pinkish hue that I had not seen before. That has persisted but always went away after the screen had been on for 30 seconds and so it was no problem. Then this morning, - for the first time and for the last 4 hours I would say every 5 minutes - the screen has suddently and without noise or warning going very very very dark but not totally black since you can just barely make out the image that is there.

So my question is: is there a way to know what part is failing - and if the answer to that is yes, then where can someone go to get such a part immediately around town (I live in Raleigh, NC) rather than on Ebay or online where it has to be shipped/mailed?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 12:04 PM

249 posts, read 230,512 times
Sounds like a video issue. If it is, choice is to have monitor fixed or replaced (not sure of cost), or purchase new laptop and have data transferred to new laptop. Appears that the HD is still good, so data transfer should not be an issue, if laptop cannot be fixed or is cost prohibitive to fix.

Should be looked at by a reputable tech to be sure.

Old 01-11-2015, 02:04 PM

21,540 posts, read 24,674,751 times
If its a home unit, buy an external monitor for it as it is the least headache direction. As to repairs, it may require something as large as a screen or as small as an invertor. Either way requires it to be taken apart. Best thing to do right now is to backup your data. As to getting the part in a town repair shop; strongly doubt it. I usually get mine from online recyclers.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:48 AM

11,820 posts, read 13,961,605 times
It's always been the LCD panel when I've seen this issue. Every. Single. Time. Either the panel itself, or the cable that connects the panel to the mobo (which is part of the LCD). Probably $$80-100 to replace yourself, $250 to have someone replace.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:05 AM

10,753 posts, read 18,005,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
It's always been the LCD panel when I've seen this issue. Every. Single. Time. Either the panel itself, or the cable that connects the panel to the mobo (which is part of the LCD). Probably $$80-100 to replace yourself, $250 to have someone replace.
Agreed, very likely the display panel has failed. A bad inverter would not cause discoloration.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:43 AM

258 posts, read 269,216 times
I have been able to get the screen working for a few seconds at a time by slamming (with increasing force at each attempt) the laptop shut. When I open it, things are normal for a few seconds. The only time the screen shows the pinkish hue is at start-up after being totally off. Never when it comes back during this problem or at any other time when the computer is on.

I have been spending the morning searching around and on CL for any place I could buy replacement parts but I don't see any. WTF? Why is this totally limited to online? *ugh*

Old 01-12-2015, 10:47 AM

10,753 posts, read 18,005,309 times
Model of laptop?

Very unlikely you'll find one locally unless it's removed from a dead laptop, there are literally thousands of different panels, no one without a warehouse has room for such stock.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:21 AM

30 posts, read 36,395 times
Like people have said, the screen panel could be the culprit.

Pruzhany. mentioned trying to plug your laptop to a monitor or TV. That should eliminate a bad graphics card or motherboard (since most GPU's are built in to the motherboard in laptops), a bigger problem IMO.

Also you didn't mention if the problem occurred when you're plugged into the wall or on battery? I've seen power supplies cause issues too.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:31 AM

1,013 posts, read 782,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanJ44 View Post
Hello. If my laptop was working, I would spend time googling this, but since I have such limited minutes - I figured maybe someone on here could help.

I have a Lenovo laptop that I LIVE on all day every day and will be in a world of hurt if it stops working totally - (it just died during that last sentence)...Here is what is going on:

A week or so ago, I noticed that when I turned it on, the screen had a reddish/pinkish hue that I had not seen before. That has persisted but always went away after the screen had been on for 30 seconds and so it was no problem. Then this morning, - for the first time and for the last 4 hours I would say every 5 minutes - the screen has suddently and without noise or warning going very very very dark but not totally black since you can just barely make out the image that is there.

So my question is: is there a way to know what part is failing - and if the answer to that is yes, then where can someone go to get such a part immediately around town (I live in Raleigh, NC) rather than on Ebay or online where it has to be shipped/mailed?

Thanks.
Hello it sounds like a monitor issue.
but could also be the video card.

if you want to troubleshoot
to confirm absolutely, you can try connecting the laptop to your TV or external monitor to verify it is not the video card.

You can in fact still use the laptop if it is only the monitor btw.

just plug it into an external display.
TV/PC monitors work fine.

I doubt fixing would be wise as it would cost more to replace the monitor than buying a new low end laptop.

those are your solutions.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:01 AM

11,820 posts, read 13,961,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanJ44 View Post
I have been spending the morning searching around and on CL for any place I could buy replacement parts but I don't see any. WTF? Why is this totally limited to online? *ugh*
This is IMPOSSIBLE. As NHDave pointed out. You DO realize this now, yes? There are 1,000's of laptops out there. Bestbuy would couldn't stock them all. And since there is no LCD-SCREENS-R-US....
Not to even mention, they are probably WAY WAY cheaper online then they would ever be if a store stocked them. Are you one of "those people" that is afraid to shop online?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or