U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 08:00 PM

25,878 posts, read 32,441,344 times

Advertisements

I don't regret going apple. I wish I would have done it sooner. I prefer my iMac. However, get what works for you. Don't always take what others have to say unless they have any sort of experience with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 08:44 AM

13,325 posts, read 20,377,508 times
Apple's great, but there's nothing wrong with a Toshiba either. I've seen bogged down Macs before, so I'm thinking you're better off learning how to keep your computer running efficiently whichever one you get.

Old 01-13-2015, 03:09 PM

5,434 posts, read 6,478,874 times
I have a Toshiba Satellite, since 2012. Still runs smooth, but i'm getting the new iMac 5k. I've never owned a Macintosh before, and i've heard nothing but good things. It's expensive as hell but i'm going for it. I ordered it last night, custom order, 32GB RAM, 4.0GHz i7 with AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4GB GDDR5 graphics .

I can't wait for it .

Old 01-13-2015, 04:31 PM

4,351 posts, read 4,296,240 times
Is an iMac THAT much more worth it vs a Mac mini? If so, I need save more for one. If not, I'll buy a 2012 older Mac Mini refurbed.

Old 01-13-2015, 04:37 PM

14,523 posts, read 7,678,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Thanks! Well this Toshiba has really sped back up since I have done the refresh, I am happy with that part of it as long as it stays like that, but now I am wondering if I can get used to this 15.6 screen. I am used to 23+ screens. The Apple imac I posted above is a desktop and has a 21.5 screen. I have a lot of people saying not to get apple (some friends) and some saying get it, lol.

I hate to take this back, then end up regretting it. lol. Decisions, decisions.

Thanks again.
I think you'd be happier with the iMac, based on what you said above.

My iMac is very similar to the one you're considering; I bought the mid-2011 build , as I wanted the optic drive included. Anyway, I'm very happy with my Mac: I bought it about four years ago, and it works great.

Screen size is more important to some folks, as opposed to the laptop folks who carry around those (sometimes) itty bitty screens
A tiny screen would really bother me. And there's also the whole touch pad thing.

Get the iMac and try it out for the maximum time and then take it back, if you regret getting it. The Best Buy folks would then get a chance to prove their claims about great service...

ETA....if you get the iMac, I predict your iPad will suddenly get used much more.

Old 01-13-2015, 05:12 PM

4,351 posts, read 4,296,240 times
My last (hah, yeah sure y'all say) is; should I get a Quad-core used 2012 Mac Min, if I get a Mini as it'll run all day w/ business use too, so wondering which is best? A Dual is fine I think, but not sure re whether a Quad vs Dual-core is needed, & also about the absoluteness of the i5 vs i7 needs too? Thx.

I see reviews saying hold out for an i7 w/Quad-core Mac Mini, but it isn't clear how much it'd be worth the price upgrade now this many yrs later, on that 2012 refurbed one -- if I can even find a 2012 one on Apple's online store.

Just saw Apple's store has a refurb 2014 Mac Mini for $589, reduced by $110 less than the new $699. But it isn't upgradeable say alot of folks, etc. Many want this new one to keep updated, yet many Apple users disagree & like the last 2012 one better. So I'm lost, haha.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:03 PM

7,305 posts, read 23,788,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
I don't regret going apple. I wish I would have done it sooner. I prefer my iMac. However, get what works for you. Don't always take what others have to say unless they have any sort of experience with it.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Apple's great, but there's nothing wrong with a Toshiba either. I've seen bogged down Macs before, so I'm thinking you're better off learning how to keep your computer running efficiently whichever one you get.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper View Post
I have a Toshiba Satellite, since 2012. Still runs smooth, but i'm getting the new iMac 5k. I've never owned a Macintosh before, and i've heard nothing but good things. It's expensive as hell but i'm going for it. I ordered it last night, custom order, 32GB RAM, 4.0GHz i7 with AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4GB GDDR5 graphics .

I can't wait for it .
Sounds like a big upgrade! Enjoy it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
I think you'd be happier with the iMac, based on what you said above.

My iMac is very similar to the one you're considering; I bought the mid-2011 build , as I wanted the optic drive included. Anyway, I'm very happy with my Mac: I bought it about four years ago, and it works great.

Screen size is more important to some folks, as opposed to the laptop folks who carry around those (sometimes) itty bitty screens
A tiny screen would really bother me. And there's also the whole touch pad thing.

Get the iMac and try it out for the maximum time and then take it back, if you regret getting it. The Best Buy folks would then get a chance to prove their claims about great service...

ETA....if you get the iMac, I predict your iPad will suddenly get used much more.
Thanks! Well my ipad is the original model. I have only used it like 3 or 4 times and it is back in the package. lol. If I go with that one above, it is about $200 more than this laptop and this laptop has more memory, but the warranty (extended) is cheaper, so it will be a wash. I just hope it is as fast as this laptop. The laptop has done a couple of strange things, but it may be normal. I think I am using that as part of an excuse to exchange because I am having a little trouble getting used to this screen size (15.6). Yeah, they said I had 15 days (which is up Thursday). I guess if I get it, I have 15 days to decide and take it back and get another one of these, lol. This is like the 3rd exchange though because my original hp desktop messed up, then the laptop I got like this before had been opened, so I had to exchange. They are going to hate to see me walk through the door. lol.

I actually am not using the keypad on this laptop. I have a wireless Logitech keyboard that I am using with it. They also told me I could even hook this to a larger screen, even my 52 inch TV, but that is overboard. lol. Well I have two days to decide. I wish I could try out that Apple Imac desktop before getting it to see if I like it.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:43 PM

My Toshiba Satellite has a very clear and crisp screen, I am very pleased with it. I have not been able to see an Apple Imac desktop (like I posted above) on display anywhere to see how clear. I know it says it has a HD display - 1920 x 1080.

It says this about mine... "15.6" LED-backlit TFT-LCD high-definition widescreen 10-point multitouch-screen display With TruBrite and IPS technologies, 1920 x 1080 native resolution and native support for 1080p content delivers clear visuals and simplifies navigation " and "Mobile IntelĀ® HD graphics feature shared video memory for lush images with rich, intricate detail. An HDMI output with 4K Ultra HD output capability lets you stream stunning images on an external display" - not sure what this is?

I wonder which would have a clearer, more vibrant screen?

Thanks!

Old 01-13-2015, 10:26 PM

5,702 posts, read 16,482,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
My Toshiba Satellite has a very clear and crisp screen, I am very pleased with it. I have not been able to see an Apple Imac desktop (like I posted above) on display anywhere to see how clear. I know it says it has a HD display - 1920 x 1080.

It says this about mine... "15.6" LED-backlit TFT-LCD high-definition widescreen 10-point multitouch-screen display With TruBrite and IPS technologies, 1920 x 1080 native resolution and native support for 1080p content delivers clear visuals and simplifies navigation " and "Mobile IntelĀ® HD graphics feature shared video memory for lush images with rich, intricate detail. An HDMI output with 4K Ultra HD output capability lets you stream stunning images on an external display" - not sure what this is?

I wonder which would have a clearer, more vibrant screen?

Thanks!
Here are my thoughts. You are over thinking it. I find when I make a purchase if I am not enjoying the experience within the first week then it wasn't a purchase that was worthwhile. I don't think you will be happy with your current computer. Any glitch or oddity is going to make think you should have gotten the Mac.

I only know one person that didn't care for a Mac computer and that was my sister and she is an extremely difficult person to please. Plus anything I recommend she likes to find fault with. To this day she still hasn't given a valid reason why she doesn't like her computer. It didn't stop her from buying an iPad or iPhone. My niece, brother, mother, cousin, two friends and neighbor all like their Mac computers. My mother just bought the same model iMac you are looking at. The screen is crisp and I would be surprised if you disliked it. My mother also considered getting a macbook (laptop). She has always had a desktop so I let her use my macbook pro for a few days. She prefers sitting at a desk and using a real mouse. She also didn't like the smaller screen. She is very happy with the iMac. This is her second one.

Get the Mac.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:39 PM

Thanks Fallingwater. Yeah, I tend to overthink everything, lol.

Yeah, I think I will like the mac if it has the crisp screen. I know this one does and it surprised me. I haven't been able to get my hands on a apple imac like I have in my link to check it out. Worst thing I guess is that I could take it back within 15 days and trade for another one of these? lol.

I have friends saying get a mac, then there are a couple saying no do not get one, etc. lol. I have to decide something by tomorrow evening... my return deadline is nearing.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or