U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 10:48 PM

5,702 posts, read 16,485,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Thanks Fallingwater. Yeah, I tend to overthink everything, lol.

Yeah, I think I will like the mac if it has the crisp screen. I know this one does and it surprised me. I haven't been able to get my hands on a apple imac like I have in my link to check it out. Worst thing I guess is that I could take it back within 15 days and trade for another one of these? lol.

I have friends saying get a mac, then there are a couple saying no do not get one, etc. lol. I have to decide something by tomorrow evening... my return deadline is nearing.

Thanks!
Best Buy doesn't have one on display? What about an apple store?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 11:13 PM

9,586 posts, read 17,766,730 times
I have about the same iMac as you're considering, but mine is the 27" model and slightly faster (2.9 GHz i5). I bought it a year ago. I like it a lot. My wife has the 21", but it's an older model 2.4 GHz. She likes hers too, but it's time to bump up the ram (from 2 to 8) and install newer system software. Both are primarily used for browsing, but I use Photoshop quite a bit (professional photographer).

We've both used/owned Windows machines, me when I absolutely, positively HAD to use Windows, her when she made a bonehead decision. I have a Windows laptop because a company I work with has software that only runs on Windows. And Android. And iPhone. But I've got to have both -- Windows and (in my case) iPhone. I only use the Windows laptop to run their software and for Streets and Trips, and recently S&T is refusing to boot up. (Typical!)

I've been using primarily Macs since the earliest 9-inch models in the 80s. I've always preferred them, and up until this iMac, I always had one of the Pro desktop models. This one is the best of the lot (as it should be).

I think you'd be happier with the iMac. The screen is very nice, but the operating system is the best there is. The original Windows software was supposed to emulate a Mac. Now they're up to 8.X, and they're still not even close to the Mac OS.

Last edited by WyoNewk; 01-13-2015 at 11:29 PM..

Old 01-14-2015, 04:44 AM

4,448 posts, read 5,452,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Thanks! Well this Toshiba has really sped back up since I have done the refresh, I am happy with that part of it as long as it stays like that, but now I am wondering if I can get used to this 15.6 screen. I am used to 23+ screens. The Apple imac I posted above is a desktop and has a 21.5 screen. I have a lot of people saying not to get apple (some friends) and some saying get it, lol.

I hate to take this back, then end up regretting it. lol. Decisions, decisions.

Thanks again.
Unless you get to the root core of the slowness, it will happen again.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:17 AM

13,332 posts, read 20,382,420 times
If you're concerned about the extra cost for a Mac, consider selling the unused iPad and take the cash and add it to what you're willing to spend.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:33 PM

7,305 posts, read 23,791,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Best Buy doesn't have one on display? What about an apple store?
Nope sure don't. We have three local Best Buys and all three only had two Apples on display and that was the MacBook and MacBook pro? They were both laptops and I was wanting to see the desktop. I don't know if we have an apple store around here? According to apple site, the closest one is in Knoxville TN, which is about 110 miles southwest of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I have about the same iMac as you're considering, but mine is the 27" model and slightly faster (2.9 GHz i5). I bought it a year ago. I like it a lot. My wife has the 21", but it's an older model 2.4 GHz. She likes hers too, but it's time to bump up the ram (from 2 to 8) and install newer system software. Both are primarily used for browsing, but I use Photoshop quite a bit (professional photographer).

We've both used/owned Windows machines, me when I absolutely, positively HAD to use Windows, her when she made a bonehead decision. I have a Windows laptop because a company I work with has software that only runs on Windows. And Android. And iPhone. But I've got to have both -- Windows and (in my case) iPhone. I only use the Windows laptop to run their software and for Streets and Trips, and recently S&T is refusing to boot up. (Typical!)

I've been using primarily Macs since the earliest 9-inch models in the 80s. I've always preferred them, and up until this iMac, I always had one of the Pro desktop models. This one is the best of the lot (as it should be).

I think you'd be happier with the iMac. The screen is very nice, but the operating system is the best there is. The original Windows software was supposed to emulate a Mac. Now they're up to 8.X, and they're still not even close to the Mac OS.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
Unless you get to the root core of the slowness, it will happen again.
That is what I am afraid of. Someone told me it may be where webroot was installed and the other anti-virus was already in there causing a conflict? It was fine after I did the refresh and removed webroot, but I will have to add it (or something back) when this other stuff that was in there as a trail runs out and what if slow again? I have a 3 year warranty, but sometimes Best Buy makes things worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
If you're concerned about the extra cost for a Mac, consider selling the unused iPad and take the cash and add it to what you're willing to spend.
Yeah, it isn't much more, it will be like $150.00 more. I was just wondering if the screen was as crisp as it is on my Toshiba laptop that I have now and if I could get used to Apple. I mean now on this Windows system, I can log in whatever computer I am on and it remembers my favorites, folders, etc and not sure if I can get access to those on windows?

I had thought about just keeping this, but now not sure again. Tomorrow is the last day I have to take back for a refund/exchange. My mom will need a new laptop in about 2 years and I thought about keeping this until then, give this to her, then get me an Apple desktop. I wish there was an online video or something showing how these operate on the net.

Thanks again.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:41 PM

7,305 posts, read 23,791,751 times
No exchange for me. I had until 9pm tonight to exchange and it has passed. I guess I will keep this and eventually get that iMac desktop and give this laptop to my mom.

Thanks for the replies!

Old 01-22-2015, 01:36 PM

5,434 posts, read 6,479,585 times
My god this new iMac is really something else!

I just got it yesterday morning, and i was really shocked at how much it weighs, even the UPS guy had trouble carrying the big box lol.

This is my first Macintosh, and as an experienced Windows user since Windows 98..Mac really blows Microsoft away.

http://oi60.tinypic.com/2egcmet.jpg

This is my desktop, the image resolution looks crappy because when you upload it to a hosting site it loses quality.

I ordered it to my liking; 4GHZ up to 4.8 with Turbo, 32GB of RAM (amazing speed!) and 1TB. I couldn't be any more happy with this computer. My hats off to Apple and the great Steve Jobs for being the mastermind behind the Mac.

The ONLY bad thing that I don't like about it is that it doesn't have an internal disc tray to burn DVD's and watch movies. I have to buy an external drive in order to do so, but to be honest it doesn't really matter because i can watch movies on Netflix as well as documentaries.

Overall, i give this 9.9/10.

Totally recommend it .

Old 01-22-2015, 05:31 PM

14,523 posts, read 7,679,888 times
Umm, Jack, we can't see your image, just Tinypic.com

So glad you like the new machine. Welcome to the Bright Side...

Old 01-22-2015, 06:47 PM

5,434 posts, read 6,479,585 times
The screenshot is larger than 10MB lol, that's why it won't show. I tried uploading it on imgur and it won't let me because it's too big. if you guys know any site that hosts 1080p and 4K images i'll gladly upload it so you guys can see the clarity of the retina 5K. it's beautiful.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:21 PM

16,726 posts, read 29,330,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper View Post
My god this new iMac is really something else!

I just got it yesterday morning, and i was really shocked at how much it weighs, even the UPS guy had trouble carrying the big box lol.

This is my first Macintosh, and as an experienced Windows user since Windows 98..Mac really blows Microsoft away.

http://oi60.tinypic.com/2egcmet.jpg

This is my desktop, the image resolution looks crappy because when you upload it to a hosting site it loses quality.

I ordered it to my liking; 4GHZ up to 4.8 with Turbo, 32GB of RAM (amazing speed!) and 1TB. I couldn't be any more happy with this computer. My hats off to Apple and the great Steve Jobs for being the mastermind behind the Mac.

The ONLY bad thing that I don't like about it is that it doesn't have an internal disc tray to burn DVD's and watch movies. I have to buy an external drive in order to do so, but to be honest it doesn't really matter because i can watch movies on Netflix as well as documentaries.

Overall, i give this 9.9/10.

Totally recommend it .
External CD/DVD drives and burners are quite cheap these days, and are pretty much plug and play.
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_1niv9rh57j_b
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or