U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 11:31 AM

145 posts, read 334,247 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I bought Acer Aspire V5-552G-X852 15.6-Inch laptop in May, 2014. For the past 2 months, it seems like the GPU is dying - it's getting extremely slow, once a week I'll get a blue screen because of this (all drivers updated), and it sometimes starts to overheat when I'm browsing (very rare).

I'm thinking of returning it. It should still be covered by manufacturers 1-year consumer limited warranty, right? On Acer's site, I've put in the serial number to check if it's still eligible, but the site says that serial number is not found. I bought the laptop from Amazon.

Can I still return it, and if so, how do I go about this? Sorry, I've never returned anything, or even mailed anything more than letters/papers. Do I just mail it with US Postal Office, or go UPS? Also, do I need to contact manufacturer for this beforehand?

Thanks for any advice. I'm a complete noob with technology and anything like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 01:41 PM

4,448 posts, read 5,452,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldon View Post
Hey guys,

I bought Acer Aspire V5-552G-X852 15.6-Inch laptop in May, 2014. For the past 2 months, it seems like the GPU is dying - it's getting extremely slow, once a week I'll get a blue screen because of this (all drivers updated), and it sometimes starts to overheat when I'm browsing (very rare).

I'm thinking of returning it. It should still be covered by manufacturers 1-year consumer limited warranty, right? On Acer's site, I've put in the serial number to check if it's still eligible, but the site says that serial number is not found. I bought the laptop from Amazon.

Can I still return it, and if so, how do I go about this? Sorry, I've never returned anything, or even mailed anything more than letters/papers. Do I just mail it with US Postal Office, or go UPS? Also, do I need to contact manufacturer for this beforehand?

Thanks for any advice. I'm a complete noob with technology and anything like that.
You have to contact the manufacturer before you can send it in. Then they'll make you go through troubleshooting before they give you any type if return authorization number. They'll probably have to reinstall the OS.

Old 01-17-2015, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
You have to contact the manufacturer before you can send it in. Then they'll make you go through troubleshooting before they give you any type if return authorization number. They'll probably have to reinstall the OS.
Thanks man! I'll look up the info and call them. Do you think it's okay to send the laptop with OS removed completely? That's how I bought my laptop - no OS.

Old 01-17-2015, 01:53 PM

980 posts, read 596,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldon View Post
Thanks man! I'll look up the info and call them. Do you think it's okay to send the laptop with OS removed completely? That's how I bought my laptop - no OS.
Were you sure it was new? I'm pretty sure Acer doesn't sell laptops without an OS. Can you provide us the model?

Old 01-17-2015, 02:32 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,121,432 times
Did you buy it as new or used from a amazon seller? If new did you register it. If used from a seller then you have to deal with seller. Never seen any laptop new from Acer without OS. Read the amazon seller guarantee to pursue it.

Old 01-17-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Did you buy it as new or used from a amazon seller? If new did you register it. If used from a seller then you have to deal with seller. Never seen any laptop new from Acer without OS. Read the amazon seller guarantee to pursue it.
Yeah, new from Amazon. Sold by Amazon too (not third party). And yes you're right, it had Win 8 on it. Totally forgot (confused with the other one I had).

Old 01-17-2015, 03:44 PM

980 posts, read 596,119 times
You should be able to just call them up an provide them the serial number. If you registered the product with them, you can also find it by using your name/phone number. They will guide you through the process.

Old 01-17-2015, 07:46 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,121,432 times
Your past the return to seller period. You need to fid your receipt fro amazon and contact the warranty center by phone for instructions. The warranty info you got with computer should spell the terms out and how to return for warranty service. Likely first they will do a online remote diagnose by your calling service before authorizing return for repair.

Last edited by texdav; 01-17-2015 at 08:02 PM..

Old 01-18-2015, 01:39 AM

21,550 posts, read 24,690,260 times
You can't return it to Amazon as you are past their 30 day return policy. You can call Acer, but since you're past their 90 day tech support you'll have to pay them $30 to speak to them. If they do decide it's a hardware issue, then you will need to pay to ship it to them for about $50 (UPS or FEDEX).

Old 01-18-2015, 08:55 AM

4,448 posts, read 5,452,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
You can't return it to Amazon as you are past their 30 day return policy. You can call Acer, but since you're past their 90 day tech support you'll have to pay them $30 to speak to them. If they do decide it's a hardware issue, then you will need to pay to ship it to them for about $50 (UPS or FEDEX).
If you work for a company that ships a lot, you can go to the mail room and ask if you can ship something at their discounted rate, don't forget insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or