U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2015, 03:27 PM

4,356 posts, read 4,298,137 times

Advertisements

I am lost as to best deal here? I lost out on an i5 Mini from 2012 brand new, so only have option to buy a pricier i7 from '12. Is it better than the lower $ i5? It seems tho processor is only a lowly 2.3 in i7 vs a bigger 2.5 in the i5, so this confuses me as never had a Mac, period. Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 04:10 PM

16,726 posts, read 29,330,321 times
No idea about older Mac Minis, but here are the specs and prices of new Minis:
Apple - Mac mini - Technical Specifications

Remember that the base prices are shown. If you want to reconfigure it (more RAM, larger drive, and so forth, the price goes up).

Anyway, the newer ones have the newest technologies, so I would buy the latest even if it costs more. Also buy the best screen you can afford, and a nice keyboard. All you are getting with a Mini is the computer itself, plus the power cord for it. The rest is up to you.

Old 01-17-2015, 06:42 PM

I know re new vs old but the new are soldered on & not upgradeable, thus the 2012's can upgrade. So this is why I need a 2012 -- unless anyone can talk me out of it.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:37 AM

4,448 posts, read 5,452,894 times
Have you ever upgraded your Lenovo?

If you are buying a Mac expecting to get a deal or bargain, you will be disappointed. Upgrading the memory of a old Mini cost about $75 to $100. The cost of buying a new mini with upgraded memory of 8GB is a $100 upgrade. The i7 is a high end processor, if you buy the i7, you'll pay a premium for something you probably don't need.

Old 01-18-2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
Have you ever upgraded your Lenovo?

If you are buying a Mac expecting to get a deal or bargain, you will be disappointed. Upgrading the memory of a old Mini cost about $75 to $100. The cost of buying a new mini with upgraded memory of 8GB is a $100 upgrade. The i7 is a high end processor, if you buy the i7, you'll pay a premium for something you probably don't need.
Never upgraded Lenovo yet. Just thinking Macs are far better than pc's, thus the desire to get as much Mac as I can w/out an iMac cost. If I got a deal on an i7 & upgraded from 4 to 16GB, well that's all you're able to upgrade on a '12 Mac Mini, no?

If so, I can't find a brand new, smaller i5, so stuck w/ either a refurb off Amazon/ebay or a used one -- & that is risky to buy used. No one has brand new ones left of i5. Apple's online store has only newer 2014 Minis, thus no good to wait on them as I'll never see one there that old from back in '12 still, correct?

So, have no choice in order to find a brand new 2012, I need go w/ an i7 -- as no one wanted to spend more on one (hence they're leftover in droves vs that cheaper i5) but it is Quad-core as that's a good upgrade. Ok, thx for the replies.

This Lenovo B570 is ok but flimsy, plastic, & any laptop has limited upgradeability & shelf life. This one is made late '11, so how much time can it have left before it goes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers