U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 04:38 PM

3,080 posts, read 10,039,030 times

Advertisements

Why do macs continue to have only a single-button mouse? This seems ergonomically foolish as it relegates an entire hand to the sole purpose of pointing and click-selecting. No scrolling, a second hand and keyboard (or a long wandering mousetrip over to the necessary toolbar is required to bring up menus.

I clone my PC's display via S-video on my TV on occasion to watch movies. I use a wireless mouse as my "remote control" from the couch and I have no need of my keyboard. With a mac, I would almost require a wireless keyboard as well, were I to want the same functionality.

So why do macs still have only a single-button mouse? Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 04:54 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,740,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Why do macs continue to have only a single-button mouse?
Macs can use 2- and 3-button mice. The original Mac used a 1-button mouse because mice were a fairly new/unusual concept at the time (1984), and it was thought to be a lot easier for new users to keep track of a single button.

I used a Mac IIci at work (running MacOS 6 and then 7) for many years with a single-button mouse (alongside a Windows PC using a two button mouse), and it really wasn't any harder to use -- it just took a little adjustment, but so did other aspects of the Mac UI. I actually preferred MacOS7 with MultiFinder and a 1-button mouse to Windows NT 4 with a 2-button mouse.

Of course, my OS/2 box at home with the WPS and a two-button mouse was far better at the time.

Quote:
This seems ergonomically foolish as it relegates an entire hand to the sole purpose of pointing and click-selecting. No scrolling, a second hand and keyboard (or a long wandering mousetrip over to the necessary toolbar is required to bring up menus.
Some applications are quite mouse-centric, so this isn't a disadvantage. As I say above, it's quite easy to use scroll mice and multi-button mice with a Mac these days, and for all I know they come with them standard now (the last Mac I used was a G3 PowerMac tower).

Last edited by rcsteiner; 01-07-2008 at 05:10 PM..

Old 01-07-2008, 06:48 PM

3,080 posts, read 10,039,030 times
Huh. My spouse's new workplace has a 1-button and since we are 100% PC at home, we just assumed 1-button was the only way to mac (plus store display models had the same stuff when we went in to look for tablet mice.)

Are most mice cross-compatible? Could she take a 2-3 button mouse from a pc at home and plug it into her work mac? She needs the extra buttons to make her life easier and who knows how long her workplace will take to respond to a request.

Also, would it be possible to find a Mac equivilant of a 1.6GHz 512MB RAM 80GB HDD laptop for under $400 nowadays?

Old 01-07-2008, 07:33 PM

4,593 posts, read 8,199,855 times
The new mac's come with the Mighty mouse... it only has one button... but its touch sensitive. Meaning if you click on the left or right of the "one button", it'll know what your trying to do. And yes, you can use a non-Apple mouse as well. My mouse of choice is a Kensington wireless... 1/3 the cost of a mighty mouse.

Just keep in mind, when you buy a 3rd party mouse, you'll still want to install the driver to get better performance. It'll work without it.. but the sensitivity and such will not be as good.

An old ibook.. maybe? for $400? I know my PB G4 1GHz with 40GB will still fetch over $500....

Old 01-07-2008, 09:11 PM

16,724 posts, read 29,324,467 times
Lest say that I go to PhotoBucket to copy a link to one of my photos so i can then post the link at another forum. With my 1-button mouse, all I have to do once I see the link I am looking for, is to click one time at the immediate left of the photo link, and the link is automatically copied. In other words, I don't have to highlight the link, followed by "
copy".

Old 01-10-2008, 09:31 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,902 posts, read 33,642,455 times
You can also access the right-button functions using a 1-button mouse by holding down the <control> key on the keyboard while you click. This has been a feature on Macs for most of the last decade... at least since OS 9.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:14 PM
tcb

198 posts, read 624,815 times
I was in the mac store and they said the mice they got out now look like they have one button but have two and can feel your finger on either side and demonstrated it for us.

Apple - Mighty Mouse

Old 01-12-2008, 08:55 PM

312 posts, read 986,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcb View Post
I was in the mac store and they said the mice they got out now look like they have one button but have two and can feel your finger on either side and demonstrated it for us.

Apple - Mighty Mouse
So with the touch sensitivity, does clicking with the right portion of the button emulate right-clicking on Windows? Like does the right-click bring up a menu similar to what it does in Windows?

I've also been looking into purchasing a Mac but there are a few things that I feel I'd never be able to adjust to...

Old 02-11-2008, 05:54 PM

2 posts, read 7,404 times
Yes, it does. Also the mighty mouse technically has 4 buttons, very similar to many gaming mice, it has a left click, right click, center click, and two buttons on the side that when sqeezed simultaneously will make a 4th button. On top of that if you have a mac laptop and wish to "right click" you can simply place two fingers on the track pad and click the button, or you can even set it up to right click when tapped with two fingers. Just another cool thing if you want to scroll up or down in a window you can place two fingers on the trackpad and move it up or down. I don't know what the other things you feel you couldn't adjust to are, but Mac OSX is rather similar to Windows vista, and as a fairly fresh convert I can assure you you'll have it all figured out in about a week, and just as a bonus (not to be a mac nerd) there is only one known virus for the macintosh, and you basically have to knowingly install it. If all else fails, an intel macs can run Windows.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:43 PM

20 posts, read 56,488 times
I personally hate one button mouses, so I don't use them. I have my Microsoft Intellimouse hooked up to my PowerMac. It just works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers