U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 05:15 PM

40,212 posts, read 41,799,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
Not a good thing if you had purchased it with an older copy of MS Office or Adobe Acrobat.
Certainly but there isn't whole lot of them out there. Last computer I had with anyhting pre installed worthwhile was in 97, it had Word. It wasn't the full office suite and it wasn't the MS Works version either.

Last computer I purchased was custom and I'm going to ahve to tell you it was a thing of beauty starting Windows for the first time and finding nothing on the Desktop or programs. It was like opening the hood on my old 72 f-250 and looking at all 20 wires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 08:01 PM

28,611 posts, read 40,594,929 times
Quote:
Not a good thing if you had purchased it with an older copy of MS Office or Adobe Acrobat.
The OP is talking about a PC with Windows 7 OS. No older software there. It pays to read the posts in a thread.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:03 PM

Quote:
A OEM home key will work with a Win 7 Pro retail disk?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Mine does.

Ouch, ouch, ouch!! And I just gave someone grief about reading posts. Busted!

What is, "No it will not, Alex."

Old 01-29-2015, 09:26 PM

4,448 posts, read 5,448,988 times
Quote:
The OP is talking about a PC with Windows 7 OS. No older software there. It pays to read the posts in a thread.
Office 2007, 2010, Acrobat X are all consider older. Not my problem you don't know what older means. My comprehension isn't the problem, your attitude and arrogance is.

Old 01-30-2015, 01:51 AM

21,540 posts, read 24,674,751 times
Quote:
The OP is talking about a PC with Windows 7 OS. No older software there. ......
Well there may be an issue the motherboard drivers and whatever is plugged into the slots. Haven't seen a computer yet where I didn't have to go searching for drivers.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Office 2007, 2010, Acrobat X are all consider older. Not my problem you don't know what older means. My comprehension isn't the problem, your attitude and arrogance is.

I do forget how young some posters are. I don't consider those old software, but I see your point.

BTW, no need to insult.

Old 01-30-2015, 02:32 PM

13,015 posts, read 7,841,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
AFAIK that only applies to OEM keys from a prebuilt computer or OEM disc, you can buy retail copies of Windows which can be installed on other machines. Note that doesn't mean you can put it on multiple machines simultaneously.
I tend to get the OEM copies for my builds. Cheaper that way.

Been thinking about pulling the "guts" and rebuilding, assumed I'd need another OEM disk.

It would be new mobo/cpu/ram/hdd/gpu...everything but the power supply and the dvd burner basically, inside the box. I rather doubt that with OEM Win7 and that much change, I could even call MS and get squared away, unless I called and was given the option to purchase a new key or something?

Old 01-31-2015, 08:25 AM

4,448 posts, read 5,448,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Certainly but there isn't whole lot of them out there. Last computer I had with anyhting pre installed worthwhile was in 97, it had Word. It wasn't the full office suite and it wasn't the MS Works version either.
I'd say most computer purchased from a tier 1 company for college student will have office purchased preinstalled on it.

Streets and Trips was bundled was with Works, software years ahead of it's time.

Quote:
BTW, no need to insult.
Quote:
It pays to read the posts in a thread.
After reading the beat down thread on the french girl/guy I didn't know how to take this. You quoted and addressed me in your post, so you launched the first volley. Ironic after your post #15. Sorry you felt insulted by my perception of your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
If you buy the Anytime Upgrade, you are buying a key code that unlocks the features of Pro or Ultimate, but they were already installed on the PC or laptop.

Toshiba restore disks bought from Toshiba cost $30 shipped a couple of years ago. I bought a set for a used laptop that I got cheap on ebay because the hard drive had been wiped.
On the only ONE anytime upgrade from 7 Home to Professional I've done, it had to do a big download after I already had all the latest updates. It'd make just too much sense for all the bits to already be there. I also paid the $ to get order the reinstallation DVD from Microsoft but hope I never have to use it. After the upgrade I created an image since the OEM's restore process is now stale.

Last edited by thelopez2; 01-31-2015 at 08:34 AM..

Old 01-31-2015, 11:33 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,419,224 times
if you bought a premade pc, then contact them and they'll figure it out. but personally what I did when I needed win 7 and lost it, I went and bought a systems builder for either $50 or $100. its pretty much win7 for a fraction of the cost, minus ms support (since the sys builder would be your support)

Old 02-01-2015, 12:03 AM

1,111 posts, read 597,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
if you bought a premade pc, then contact them and they'll figure it out. but personally what I did when I needed win 7 and lost it, I went and bought a systems builder for either $50 or $100. its pretty much win7 for a fraction of the cost, minus ms support (since the sys builder would be your support)
That's great if you're selling the PC to another person. But you cannot use a system builder's copy of Windows 7 on a PC that you own for personal use. In that case, you are required to purchase a retail copy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or