U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 01:04 PM

4,261 posts, read 3,443,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Admitting to not being technologically current, I am compelled to ask how one gets a physical copy of a document in their hands without a printer?
Per Clarke's law, sufficiently advanced tech is indistinguishable from magic. What I'm describing surely is not, but does require a bit of creativity, still.

There never needs to be a physical document, in some cases. As in, "ever."

I bought a house a couple years back, and completed most of it electronically. Not all, though. Let's iterate through the steps of a complicated transaction:

- Prospective homes are emailed to me by my agent (links). Let's say, five of them. Now I've got all that saved on a phablet (big screen phone) or iPad-like device (tablet). Could do that locally, or save to cloud storage (if I've got Internet access). Nothing printed.

- Any notes I want are scribbled on the phablet or tablet: some have styluses, though it's a bit clunky. Paper notes? Possibly...hmm.

- Communications are all via email: to my lender, realtor, etc. Save important stuff to a cloud folder for safety.

- Great: I bid on a property. My realtor handles all that electronically. I transfer earnest money to him, and the seller, electronically via my bank. Receipts, ditto.

- Great: my bid is accepted. Realtors (buyer, seller) send me documents for signature using DocuSign, a Seattle local company (also national) with electric signing abilities...that are also legally valid.

- All future signatures and "packs of docs" related to the sale are on Docusign: I open that PDF on laptop, or tablet, and sign where I need. Final copy is sent to all parties and is legally binding on-acceptance.

The above is still a tad clunkier than it needs to be, even in 2015, and sure contains several assumptions about all-involved. Yes, I know that. That's the future, though, and when the "clunkiness" is smoothed out (guessing next 5-10 years, at-most) that will be the norm. No more "FedEx of Documents" and other garbage I went through on a home purchase in 1999. Thank God.

Thanks for entertaining my rant, and I do (grumble) know there are "still" times when stuff needs to be printed. I worked for a firm in 2000-2001 that tried to do most of the above for the Legal industry, which flew like a lead zeppelin and went bankrupt (Dot.com boondoggle: an idea before its time). Today, though, we're "almost" there.

The only paper on my desk, at a tech major in Seattle, is a 3"x3" pad of yellow stickies: those things are really hard to get rid of, for some psychological reason. They make it heinously hard for us to print anything, which I think is rather clever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 05:11 PM

13,488 posts, read 25,870,249 times
I buy my ink cartridges from eBay. I print out lots of documents and coupons, and replace my cartridges about every three months. I went into Staples, bought a color cartridge that came to $30.15 after tax, went out to my car and logged onto eBay. I bought both a black and color cartridge for $39.99 with free shipping. I then went back into the store and returned the cartridge.

This is for a Canon Pixma MG2520 that cost me $29 at Walmart.

Old 02-02-2015, 04:25 AM

20,555 posts, read 20,535,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Per Clarke's law, sufficiently advanced tech is indistinguishable from magic. What I'm describing surely is not, but does require a bit of creativity, still.

There never needs to be a physical document, in some cases. As in, "ever."....snip..........

Thanks for entertaining my rant, and I do (grumble) know there are "still" times when stuff needs to be printed. .
Thanks for contradicting yourself.
I did make me feel less stupid than before.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:18 AM

28,638 posts, read 40,617,860 times
No contradiction in those statements.

You conveniently ignored the qualifier.

Quote:
in some cases
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or