U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 02:36 PM

760 posts, read 2,085,266 times

Advertisements

So my computer refuses to acknowledge my HP all in one printer after the Windows 8.1 upgrade. I have uninstalled the software, and reinstalled the software, and it works but every time I shut down the computer, it reverts back to not acknowledging the printer. So then I must manually run the HP print and scan doctor to turn the printer and scanner on. I just ran out of ink today and thought why buy more ink, and just buy and new printer.

So recommendations? What is a decent printer/scanner for home use that has cheap print cartridge refills? The HP all in one are killing me - 2 pack for $60.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 08:07 PM

6,865 posts, read 9,542,774 times
Check with HP for a 8.1 driver for the printer. If it's an older printer, it may be recognizing driver from win 7

Old 01-28-2015, 10:52 AM

5,374 posts, read 11,278,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easybay View Post
I just ran out of ink today and thought why buy more ink, and just buy and new printer.
So recommendations? What is a decent printer/scanner for home use that has cheap print cartridge refills? The HP all in one are killing me - 2 pack for $60.....
As far as I know the only reason why you can buy *cheap* printers,
is the fact that they *get you* with the refills ...

If you have a Costco near you, they do refills, but you must not let it run down to nothing !
Refill them at about 20% left !
We have been doing *this* for about three years now !
Check with the list of cartridges they *can* refill !
Costco has a list of them !!
NOTE: you can buy refilled cartridges, but often the ink fades fast !!

So, get the latest driver for Win 8.1
Find a place that does refilling and try them.

If all else fails, get a new printer that has all individual cartridges !
Those that have more than one colour in one cartridge are a rip off !

Old 01-28-2015, 04:02 PM

760 posts, read 2,085,266 times
Ugh....no Costco near by. Yep the cartridges are where they are making the $$. I am too frustrated by installing the drivers for Win 8.1...I've done it about 4 times, and can't believe the time suck it took. I'm heading out to find a new printer 8.1 friendly. I'm going to look what the replacement cartridges cost before I buy one. What printer has individual cartridges for colors?

Old 01-28-2015, 06:32 PM

Quote:
What printer has individual cartridges for colors?
We have a Canon 8220

Canon Pixma MG8220 ink, Ink for Canon Pixma MG8220, MG8220 INK | INKOJET.COM

Since *black* is *black* ... and use it the most,
I refill the regular black (a big one) one my self !!
There is another *black* one which is supposedly a *photo* black.

All the others I have refilled by Costco.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:06 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,854 posts, read 56,232,507 times
We had no luck with the Costco cartridges. We decided to get a wi-fi printer that we could all use, and picked the HP Envy 7640, just over $100 on sale and ink is only $14.99 black & $19.99 color. Even does 2 sided and scan to email. We print to it from 8.1, 7, XP, ipad, Iphone and Android.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We had no luck with the Costco cartridges.
Interesting since we only had one that did not want to *reset*.
When we picked the refills up the girl at the counter apologised and gave us the cartridge without charging us ...

At home, we did the trick of insert, take it out, put another one in, take it out and then put the first one in again. It worked ...

What went *wrong* with the ones you had no luck with ?

Old 01-29-2015, 10:49 PM

4,256 posts, read 3,438,277 times
Quote:
So my computer refuses to acknowledge my HP all in one printer after the Windows 8.1 upgrade.

An outside-the-box solution is to create a virtual instance of XP within Windows 8.1 and install the drivers for the obsolete printer there. It's a free download from Microsoft, "Windows XP Mode." I ran an obsolete scanner that way for about a year before donating it to charity, recently.

(rant): The larger, tangential question is why people need a "printer" for much these days. A dying concept, thankfully: took long enough. Tablets, phablets, ubiquitous WiFi, and cloud storage are sweeping all that 19th Century garbage away at a fabulous clip. (/rant).

That said, my Konica Minolta 1600W is a great color laser I've had for years. Guess I only print ten or twenty sheets per year, though. I'm on Windows 8.1, works great: they've been good about updating drivers. Ain't even gonna try it on Windows 10 Technical Preview, though

Old 01-30-2015, 05:29 AM

20,531 posts, read 20,516,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post

(rant): The larger, tangential question is why people need a "printer" for much these days. A dying concept, thankfully: took long enough. Tablets, phablets, ubiquitous WiFi, and cloud storage are sweeping all that 19th Century garbage away at a fabulous clip. (/rant).
Admitting to not being technologically current, I am compelled to ask how one gets a physical copy of a document in their hands without a printer?

Old 01-30-2015, 10:36 AM

28,611 posts, read 40,594,929 times
magic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or