Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 02:37 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,417,633 times

Advertisements

I've got something worse then my flu or cold is a computer virus that I downloaded when I was updating my Java file which wasn't the real one and must have been a fake one. I have Adware and McAfee paid software but I still got this virus which downloaded lots of advertisements to my computer and can't close them fast enough. What a mess. Might have too format the hard drive to get of this?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 08:07 AM

10,924 posts, read 21,888,105 times
1. I would seriously consider getting rid of Mcafee

2. what adware app do you have?

3. Install, update, and run Malwarebytes Malwarebytes | Free Anti-Malware & Internet Security Software

What you have is not a virus, they are very few and far between, you have some type of advertising malware.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:53 AM

Thanks I deleted my free Adware but will reload it soon. My Mcafee software will end in a month. I tired to use my recovery twice from another point in time but didn't work for some reason. Been told that some Virus software can load garbage onto your computer.

Old 01-19-2015, 12:28 PM

20,235 posts, read 14,457,345 times
My son has something called Price Less which is a browser extension that we can't get rid of. You can it in the settings for, say, Chrome, and as soon as you close and reopen Chrome, it's back.

There has got to be something resident on his machine that is causing this.

Malwarebytes didn't find it.
Norton didn't find it.
Superantispyware didn't find it.
Spybot S&D didn't find it.

The only forum from Google that I could find (a Malwarebytes forum where one of their people instructed someone else in removal) linked to a download of some scanner thing which was supposed to take care of it (can't recall name of thingie, started with a Z though) and when I tried to download that, his AV stopped me and killed the file as being a Trojan. Nice. Nothing is sacred.

One time I had a persistent redirect bug giving me grief, I uninstalled Chrome and reinstalled it, and that fixed the problem. I am going to try that with my son's machine...

This stuff is so irritating.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
My son has something called Price Less which is a browser extension that we can't get rid of. You can it in the settings for, say, Chrome, and as soon as you close and reopen Chrome, it's back.

There has got to be something resident on his machine that is causing this.

Malwarebytes didn't find it.
Norton didn't find it.
Superantispyware didn't find it.
Spybot S&D didn't find it.

The only forum from Google that I could find (a Malwarebytes forum where one of their people instructed someone else in removal) linked to a download of some scanner thing which was supposed to take care of it (can't recall name of thingie, started with a Z though) and when I tried to download that, his AV stopped me and killed the file as being a Trojan. Nice. Nothing is sacred.

One time I had a persistent redirect bug giving me grief, I uninstalled Chrome and reinstalled it, and that fixed the problem. I am going to try that with my son's machine...

This stuff is so irritating.
That's what I did I deleted Chrome and reloaded it and the problem went away for now.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:15 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,510,636 times
Also try thise for malware cleanup, I have used them with success when Malwarebytes and Spybot didnt work.

AdwCleaner
AdwCleaner Download

TDSSKiller
TDSSKiller Free Download | Rootkit Remova | Kaspersky Lab US

Old 01-22-2015, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfocused View Post
Also try thise for malware cleanup, I have used them with success when Malwarebytes and Spybot didnt work.

AdwCleaner
AdwCleaner Download

TDSSKiller
TDSSKiller Free Download | Rootkit Remova | Kaspersky Lab US
Thanks for the help and I will use them.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:03 PM

303 posts, read 253,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
1. I would seriously consider getting rid of Mcafee
Oh, only no Mcafee!) It have too musch false positives.

I prefer to use CureIt. by DrWeb. Single check, it's free
Dr.Web CureIt!

ps. and use firewall.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:47 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,333,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
I've got something worse then my flu or cold is a computer virus that I downloaded when I was updating my Java file which wasn't the real one and must have been a fake one. I have Adware and McAfee paid software but I still got this virus which downloaded lots of advertisements to my computer and can't close them fast enough. What a mess. Might have too format the hard drive to get of this?

Thanks

In less than a month after getting a new computer, I had this type of problem.
I used the "system restore" method, and have had no problems since.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
In less than a month after getting a new computer, I had this type of problem.
I used the "system restore" method, and have had no problems since.
I use the restore method and sometimes it doesn't work for some reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers