U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 06:22 AM

11,749 posts, read 11,315,152 times

Advertisements

You're not making any sense. First, why do you attribute your computer "crashing" to an electrical problem? Secondly, what did it do when it "crashed?" Third, what is the basis for saying a UPS would not have helped? It would appear to this electrician with 30 years' experience with computers that a UPS would indeed have isolated a problem if it was attributable to the electric outlets.

I'd be curious to know how replacing the receptacles fixed the problem if the issue was an insufficient number of branch circuits.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:38 AM

13,488 posts, read 25,870,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
You're not making any sense. First, why do you attribute your computer "crashing" to an electrical problem? Secondly, what did it do when it "crashed?" Third, what is the basis for saying a UPS would not have helped? It would appear to this electrician with 30 years' experience with computers that a UPS would indeed have isolated a problem if it was attributable to the electric outlets.

I'd be curious to know how replacing the receptacles fixed the problem if the issue was an insufficient number of branch circuits.
If you read the original thread about my computer problems, there are photos showing it along with a description of the problem.

I have no idea what you mean by a "UPS."

I'd be curious to know how replacing the receptacles fixed the problem if the issue was an insufficient number of branch circuits.[/quote]

I live in a building that was converted into three small studios a long time ago. He said that the electricians that did the work on the building at that time, put everything in each apartment onto one breaker, even though there are two rooms.

There's only a breaker box inside of the manager's shed, and no other electrical box at all. Yesterday he replaced the outlet in the bathroom, and said that there was a loose wire in there.

It's kind of hard to isolate a problem, when what you have to work with is limited. The electrician said that if there is an electrical box, the electricians that did the work built it into the building.

This problem didn't start when I moved in, it started last fall.

Now I'm waiting to see if it happens again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 03:34 PM

303 posts, read 208,326 times
UPS - Uninterruptible Power Supply, help computer work normaly even if electricity is down, in, about, half our, usualy. Depends of battary capasity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
There's only a breaker box inside of the manager's shed, and no other electrical box at all. Yesterday he replaced the outlet in the bathroom, and said that there was a loose wire in there.

Thats very bad, man. If you can find scheme and see how things are going, then it may be limited to changing the electrical panel, if not .. change the whole electrics. Electrycity isn't joking it can kill.

Old 02-06-2015, 03:53 PM

13,031 posts, read 7,856,402 times
Of course in addition to questionable practices when the building was split into units, if it's old enough it might be due for an electrical update/upgrade. Which unfortunately many landlords of older buildings (especially the low-rent variety) tend to neglect. I wonder if there are building code issues going on there...?

It really is a safety issue, which is of far more concern than the proper function of your computer.

In an older unit I lived in when I was much younger, I once flipped a light switch that powered an outlet (for plugging in lamps) and a loud pop, shower of sparks, and puff of smoke resulted at the outlet. I flipped the switch back to the off position, never plugged anything into that outlet again, and even taped down the light switch so no one else woud flip it on by accident and screwed a cover over the outlet. My landlord knew he needed to update the wiring of the whole building, but he was just a guy with a duplex to rent, not a pro property manager, and he really couldn't afford it.

What he wasn't thinking of quite clearly is the potential liability issue if something had resulted in a fire. If that happened in my house today, I'd get a reputable professional in immediately, if I had to borrow the money to do it.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amok View Post
UPS - Uninterruptible Power Supply, help computer work normaly even if electricity is down, in, about, half our, usualy. Depends of battary capasity.

Thats very bad, man. If you can find scheme and see how things are going, then it may be limited to changing the electrical panel, if not .. change the whole electrics. Electrycity isn't joking it can kill.
Right nowall I can do is wait and see if it happens again. The electrician that works with my property management company is not one that worked on the remodel of the building, and it was done a long time ago.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Of course in addition to questionable practices when the building was split into units, if it's old enough it might be due for an electrical update/upgrade. Which unfortunately many landlords of older buildings (especially the low-rent variety) tend to neglect. I wonder if there are building code issues going on there...?

It really is a safety issue, which is of far more concern than the proper function of your computer.

In an older unit I lived in when I was much younger, I once flipped a light switch that powered an outlet (for plugging in lamps) and a loud pop, shower of sparks, and puff of smoke resulted at the outlet. I flipped the switch back to the off position, never plugged anything into that outlet again, and even taped down the light switch so no one else woud flip it on by accident and screwed a cover over the outlet. My landlord knew he needed to update the wiring of the whole building, but he was just a guy with a duplex to rent, not a pro property manager, and he really couldn't afford it.

What he wasn't thinking of quite clearly is the potential liability issue if something had resulted in a fire. If that happened in my house today, I'd get a reputable professional in immediately, if I had to borrow the money to do it.
There are no building code issues here, the property manager is totally on the ball about having any type of repairs done. This is unlike the slumlord that I rented from for 5 1/2, and the place that I lived in had electrical and plumbing problems.

It's a nice change to send an email to my current property manager telling him that I have a problem, and he'll send me an email back letting me know that whoever is going to take care of the problem will be calling me to scheduled an appointment to come out. And yes, the electrician is a reputable professional, and is also contracted by two other property management companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or