U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 06:42 AM

980 posts, read 3,029,138 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I bought an HP dv9000 back in August. I started having a wireless problem with it last month. Sometimes it connects, sometimes not (we use Linksys). DH has tried several things (and I apologize, but I don't understand well enough to explain what he's done thus far) to no avail.

After doing some research, I found that this problem is a big one for the dv6000 and dv9000 (and Presario) models. The HP help forum is flooded with complaints (Business support forums - Wireless issue addressed by HP). The OP here says a change in the BIOS should fix it.
PC Mechanic wrote an article (Big Problems with Wireless in HP Pavilion Notebooks » PC Mechanic), and they think it's a hardware issue.

Does anyone have some experience with this? The machine is still under warranty, but I'm dreading having to deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 09:48 AM

1 posts, read 30,649 times
I am having the same issues with mine. My husband rebuilt the machine thinking he could fix it, but it's been a no go. We're about to try to rebuild it again b/c we think it will have to go to HP for repairs (My machine is also under warranty) and he rebuilt it using non-factory settings. The reason for this was when he tried to do the rebuild from the recovery disc, the recovery wiped itself clean while crashing I thought I had fixed my problem the other day by resetting some default functions in the setup screen, but today it didn't work again, so I guess it was just a fluke that it came on every time I booted up yesterday.

Have you had any luck?

Old 01-09-2008, 01:44 PM

28,622 posts, read 40,604,922 times
After going through the HP link given and then the other one I think I'm confused, as is the writer of the article for PC Mechanic.

1. HP has given sufficient information for you to identify your computer as one that is in need of a replacement motherboard.

2. They are offering free shipping, free replacement and a 90 day warranty on the replacement.

3. The PC Mechanic writer switched from saying the problem was (as HP says) the motherboard to it being the wireless card halfway through the article. If this person is a thorough in their testing of new electronics as they when they write their articles I wouldn't trust anything they say about the products they test.

Granted HP supports sucks, but you have to admit they are finally fessing up and fixing the problem. If it is truly more than you want to put up with then I would recommend selling it at a reduced price, let the new owner get it fixed, and buy a new laptop.

As the PC Mechanic wizard said: The harsh truth is this: You can’t buy an all-in-one notebook computer with those kinds of specs for ~$800 and expect it to be the highest quality in the world. The attractive price tag given the specs is why so many people are buying these Pavilion notebooks. But, just buy it knowing that it will have a failure point.

That failure point has, obviously, been found.

Last edited by Tek_Freek; 01-09-2008 at 01:58 PM..

Old 01-09-2008, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayovich View Post
I am having the same issues with mine. My husband rebuilt the machine thinking he could fix it, but it's been a no go. We're about to try to rebuild it again b/c we think it will have to go to HP for repairs (My machine is also under warranty) and he rebuilt it using non-factory settings. The reason for this was when he tried to do the rebuild from the recovery disc, the recovery wiped itself clean while crashing I thought I had fixed my problem the other day by resetting some default functions in the setup screen, but today it didn't work again, so I guess it was just a fluke that it came on every time I booted up yesterday.

Have you had any luck?
HOLY CRAP!! That blows. We haven't done it yet. We were going to do a nuke 'n pave and put XP on it, but I guess that's pointless now if I have to send it off to HP. Several days after I bought this machine, I loaded Photoshop (brand new, Vista compatible), and I got the memory dump blue screen of death. It recovered without a problem, luckily. I have backed up everything on an external drive until this mess gets fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
After going through the HP link given and then the other one I think I'm confused, as is the writer of the article for PC Mechanic.

1. HP has given sufficient information for you to identify your computer as one that is in need of a replacement motherboard.

2. They are offering free shipping, free replacement and a 90 day warranty on the replacement.

3. The PC Mechanic writer switched from saying the problem was (as HP says) the motherboard to it being the wireless card halfway through the article. If this person is a thorough in their testing of new electronics as they when they write their articles I wouldn't trust anything they say about the products they test.

Granted HP supports sucks, but you have to admit they are finally fessing up and fixing the problem. If it is truly more than you want to put up with then I would recommend selling it at a reduced price, let the new owner get it fixed, and buy a new laptop.

As the PC Mechanic wizard said: The harsh truth is this: You can’t buy an all-in-one notebook computer with those kinds of specs for ~$800 and expect it to be the highest quality in the world. The attractive price tag given the specs is why so many people are buying these Pavilion notebooks. But, just buy it knowing that it will have a failure point.

That failure point has, obviously, been found.
Thank you for looking at the links, Tek_Freek. I understood your points 1&2 - but that article, along with comments on the HP site, confused me (and I'm obviously not tech savvy).

There's a great irony here though. DH had to replace the power supply in his 1 1/2 year old Dell PC last weekend. The only computer we haven't had a problem with is my 9 year old PC - which I bought from HSN (fully loaded with ME) for $800. Go figure.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:22 PM

Power supplies are notorious for being the "cheap" component in a lot of computer brands. I'd get quite a chuckle if you knew that the old one in the Dell was a Bestec.

There is a reason that old PC is still running: Competition. With everyone trying to get better pricing in the market place they install poorly-made, cheaper parts, and the computers fail sooner. Those really inexpensive computers are really inexpensive for a reason. Yours is pre-cheapen.

I always tell my clients to step up at least one level from the least expensive PC in any makers line.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:39 PM

Hey Tek_Freek - just for grins, I checked on the brand of the power supply. DH doesn't remember and he chucked it already. However, I remember when he went through troubleshooting at Dell's site. Dell offered a referbished power supply for ~$50, and you could buy the service (they install it, and if that component didn't fix the problem, they ate the cost of the power supply and fixed whatever was causing the problem). We went to Fry's and got a new one for the same price.

I'm curious though - what's the deal with Bestec?

Old 01-10-2008, 04:07 PM

They're low-end PS makers. eMachines are notorious for using them and when they blow they have a tendency to fry the motherboard.

I would recommend to anyone reading this thread that they open their PC and if the PS is a Bestec, go buy a new one.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:37 PM

1 posts, read 29,271 times
Default HP Pavilion DV 9000 wireless issues

I am having very much the same issues as everyone here! To include incompetant customer service! The best part about all these issues is the speed they send your box out and then pc back in!

So I went through all the motions as everyone else...notebook would not connect to wireless network...called customer service for a total of about 15 hours on the phone with them. Then I got on the good ol net and found this to be a common problem and explained it to the cust. serv. rep. and they acted like they never heard of it b4! is the joke on me or what! So finally they decide I should send it out and they would a.) replace wireless card b.) replace motherboard or c.) replace computer. Well i sent it (the box came next day) and got it back today (5days) WOW they fixed that fast I thought well they didnt fix it they put a piece of paper in it that says we could not duplicate the problem!

So I immediatly get on the horn go through all the motions with the cust. serv. rep. and I say look I dont have time to spend 8 hours on the horn with you today either refund my $ or replace the pc! they said it would be at least 3 days before anyone could help me with that but I can send pc back to them and they will replace the mother board! I was like grrrrrrrr what ever ...

Keep you posted

Old 04-10-2008, 02:00 PM

There is a multi-faceted gain for the companies that have moved support (I use that term very loosely) overseas. It goes like this:

[Top]

Overseas support costs less

Most of us can't understand what the support person is saying (I sure as Hell can't!)

The quality of support is lower than that given by techs in the United States

The hoped for frustration level is reached sooner because of the poor quality and lack of understanding

Customers give up and stop bothering customer support, which results in [Return to Top and repeat]

A win-win situation for the companies and a you-lose situation for the customers.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:09 AM

81 posts, read 248,258 times
I have a dv6000 model, and I've known about this problem since my wireless completely died last month. Saw on the HP site about the extended warrenty for all affected to repair this problem, but I've had bad experiences sending my stuff back. I opened it up, reseated the wireless card and everything, nothing worked. It would sometimes turn on for a little while, but when I would restart, it wouldn't come back. I just decided I'll just get myself an upgrade to draft-n (either get the express card or USB).

There's a giant topic on the HP tech help forums about people affected by the wireless problems on the dvxxxx series.
IT Resource Center forums - DV6000 Wireless device vanishes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers