U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-07-2015, 10:00 AM
 
Location: HoCo, MD
4,591 posts, read 8,195,924 times
Reputation: 5138

Advertisements

so..... you're getting upset because you prefer a different communication method than your friends...?

Any other first world problems you'd like to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-07-2015, 10:25 AM
 
Location: Alexandria, VA
11,613 posts, read 20,767,085 times
Reputation: 16996
Issuing a mandate? Seriously, all is takes it not to respond to FB messages for quite a while, then when you do - say you don't check there often, but you check your email all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2015, 11:07 AM
 
Location: The beautiful Rogue Valley, Oregon
7,543 posts, read 15,686,504 times
Reputation: 9948
Dictating terms to other people is a quick way to get yourself ostracized. Decide if you care. If you want it your way or the highway, so to speak, you have decided that you don't really care if some people stop communicating with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2015, 07:46 PM
 
Location: Metro Washington DC
13,322 posts, read 20,368,637 times
Reputation: 7994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Issuing a mandate? Seriously, all is takes it not to respond to FB messages for quite a while, then when you do - say you don't check there often, but you check your email all the time.
This is the correct answer! This is what you should do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2015, 07:58 PM
 
2,481 posts, read 4,948,395 times
Reputation: 4525
I prefer FB messaging and here is why.
I have 3 email accounts, 1 yahoo, 1 gmail, and 1 hotmail. I have had issues with all 3. Messages arriving late, sometimes days late. Messages, that even though the contact is in my address book, still randomly end up in a spam folder, that I don't feel like checking on my phone and filtering through all the garbage. Bottom line, email is not anywhere near as flawless as you proclaim it to be, despite the fact that it has been around for so long.

Meanwhile, FB messaging is instant.
I can see that they read my message and know if they got it. Unlike email, where it could end up in some black hole.
You can have group chats, easily and quickly. I currently have 2 groups where we interact for our group activities. No worries about someone in the group not getting an email or forgetting to check it. Some people don't even know the need to change their phone settings to check for email sooner, as the default, at least on my phone, was over an hour. Unacceptable if I need a response in less than an hour.

I think you are being stubborn and resistant to change. Stop fighting it. There is no reason whatsoever to be so anti-FB messaging other than the fact that it has become very trendy to hate on facebook. That's the new thing to brag about, that you don't use facebook or you hate facebook. FB is a tool. Use it to your advantage and put your energy and anger towards more viable and meaningful issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2015, 08:01 PM
 
Location: Cary, NC
34,306 posts, read 59,623,818 times
Reputation: 33366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
I prefer FB messaging and here is why.
I have 3 email accounts, 1 yahoo, 1 gmail, and 1 hotmail. I have had issues with all 3. Messages arriving late, sometimes days late. Messages, that even though the contact is in my address book, still randomly end up in a spam folder, that I don't feel like checking on my phone and filtering through all the garbage. Bottom line, email is not anywhere near as flawless as you proclaim it to be, despite the fact that it has been around for so long.

Meanwhile, FB messaging is instant.
I can see that they read my message and know if they got it. Unlike email, where it could end up in some black hole.
You can have group chats, easily and quickly. I currently have 2 groups where we interact for our group activities. No worries about someone in the group not getting an email or forgetting to check it. Some people don't even know the need to change their phone settings to check for email sooner, as the default, at least on my phone, was over an hour. Unacceptable if I need a response in less than an hour.

I think you are being stubborn and resistant to change. Stop fighting it. There is no reason whatsoever to be so anti-FB messaging other than the fact that it has become very trendy to hate on facebook. That's the new thing to brag about, that you don't use facebook or you hate facebook. FB is a tool. Use it to your advantage and put your energy and anger towards more viable and meaningful issues.
Yahoo? Gmail? Hotmail?
Fuggedaboutit.
Get a real email account before you judge email. Those are junior league.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2015, 08:56 PM
 
3,279 posts, read 4,202,129 times
Reputation: 6149
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Yahoo? Gmail? Hotmail?
Fuggedaboutit.
Get a real email account before you judge email. Those are junior league.
Yes, indeed. To be blunt, I think the attraction to Facebook messaging for some, based on the post that you cited, is that some are too ignorant to know HOW to use email. Otherwise, I think it's perhaps because everything is all in one place, but the drawback to that is that if you wish to leave Facebook you lose EVERYTHING. On the other hand, a properly-managed email system won't do that to you, in that your contacts etc can easily be exported to a comma-delimited file or the like and from there it can easily be imported into the new email carrier.

That right there is what is so silly to me--the many flaws you have in Facebook that make it so idiotic to other things like it, such as with photo hosting. Last time I checked, if I want to delete photos in Facebook, it has to be done one at the time, there's no way I see to mark off 50-100 photos, or an entire album, and delete the entire thing at once. There are so many tools and such in Flickr or SmugMug compared to Facebook it's not even funny. Okay, granted, maybe "everyday" users don't need that, but why not have it for those who would? And most of all, that the "everyday" people all but practically think Facebook INVENTED photo-hosting and the like, it's just so ignorant.

Email has allowed people to send "letters" or whatever to each other for eons, and it still does-and yes, it's INSTANT. (I'm all the time hearing my Android alert me to email immediately, say, after a PayPal payment email arrives, practically EVERY time.) It has so much more abilities than Facebook messaging, yet you don't HAVE to utilize them. The older messages easily come up in a search, whereas from what I've seen Facebook messages that are 1-2 years old are just deleted. (At least such has been the case with me.) The only real advantage to Facebook messaging which I can see is that, again, everything is in one place, but gee whiz, I don't see where having a Facebook login and 1 single email login is all that awfully hard or fussy.

Most of all, I have many messages from this person, and many others, already in that email account, there is no reason to "fragment" messages in two different places unnecessarily, especially for an inferior platform. You already have that in that people on eBay sent you an eBay "message" and many forum message boards have "private messages." Yet, guess what--most of them let you know such has arrived, you guessed it, by EMAILING you. In fact, in such places, I advise people to just email me directly, because I don't have to log in to the forum manually to read the content, I can just open the email and it's much faster.

I suspect I'll hear from the guy eventually via phone or the like and at that time I'll just say "email is still my 'written letter' method of preference, do that or call me, I'm cool either way"--and all will be fine. Until then, I suppose we're both being stubborn old mules--not mad at each other (although in my case I'm perhaps a bit irritated), but stubborn nonetheless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2015, 08:19 AM
 
Location: HoCo, MD
4,591 posts, read 8,195,924 times
Reputation: 5138
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Yahoo? Gmail? Hotmail?
Fuggedaboutit.
Get a real email account before you judge email. Those are junior league.
You want to elaborate on that? If they serve the purpose of the user, why not?

At the core, it's just POP/IMAP clients and SMTP servers. Or am I missing your point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2015, 08:26 AM
 
Location: Cary, NC
34,306 posts, read 59,623,818 times
Reputation: 33366
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
You want to elaborate on that? If they serve the purpose of the user, why not?

At the core, it's just POP/IMAP clients and SMTP servers. Or am I missing your point?
I'm responding to the users who say that email does not server their purposes.
That may partially be because they are emailing via an advertising/snooping "free" platform, not an email-specific platform.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2015, 08:47 AM
 
Location: HoCo, MD
4,591 posts, read 8,195,924 times
Reputation: 5138
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I'm responding to the users who say that email does not server their purposes.
That may partially be because they are emailing via an advertising/snooping "free" platform, not an email-specific platform.
Noted. I should have read the post you were responding to ;-).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:04 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top