U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 01:16 PM

28,638 posts, read 40,617,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
I think you are being stubborn and resistant to change. Stop fighting it. There is no reason whatsoever to be so anti-FB messaging other than the fact that it has become very trendy to hate on facebook. That's the new thing to brag about, that you don't use facebook or you hate facebook. FB is a tool. Use it to your advantage and put your energy and anger towards more viable and meaningful issues.
Trendy? No. Realistic? Yes.

If FlakeBook would allow the user to restrict certain things then it would be a more friendly app. As it is it lets people bombard you with crap you don't want. Hell, FlakeBook does the same thing. Do you know this person? No, and I am sick and tired of you asking me. Where do I turn off this crappy feature?

You can't.

So, yeah. Hating FlakeBook isn't trendy. It's justified.

But there are those who can't see the problems through all the idolization.

And the communication problem goes both ways. If friends want to use FlakeBook to communicate and you want to use email, both should be acceptable. Respond on FlakeBook when needed, but friends should show the courtesy of responding to emails as well. One of the problems I see with FlakeBook users is, well, they're flaky. It starts out as interesting then grows into an obsession.

No thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 03:01 PM

7,543 posts, read 15,696,031 times
Restrict the number of people or things you "friend" on Facebook, set your posts for "friends only", download F.B. Purity - Clean up and Customize Facebook and turn off ads, games, chat and you have a reasonably acceptable platform. I have about 40 friends & relatives I correspond with around the world and it helps me keep in touch over things big and small.

If people start doing too many posts a day, first I change the frequency with which Fb will show me their posts and if that isn't enough, I just hit "stop following" and don't see their posts unless they reply to me directly or message me.

The trick is to restrict the number of people you interact with, use an outside program to ditch the dancing baloney and unwanted features and prune back the flist frequently.

Old 02-08-2015, 05:19 PM

13,332 posts, read 20,382,420 times
Why do all that when email works fine?

Old 02-09-2015, 12:22 AM

3,279 posts, read 4,205,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Why do all that when email works fine?
Exactly, exactly, exactly. That's exactly how I feel. I love the guy, and you don't to risk a great relationship over petty things, yet even so, why should I have to switch to Facebook messaging because he's apparently quit email? What's so bad about email anyway?

Old 02-15-2015, 11:01 PM

13,638 posts, read 6,955,695 times
OP, I understand your frustration, but, knowing that many people will get back to you quicker on social media settings like FB, I'd personally move toward that route, at least with those of my friends who use FB more frequently than email. And if you're concerned about backing up things, can't you change your settings to where your get an email (with the Facebook message in the body of the email) every time you receive a message on FB? Also, consider that your friend may feel similarly about your use of email vs. FB.

One other thing that I love about FB (and, sure you can do this with some email accounts, too, but I've found that its trickier) is that you can tell/see when someone has read your message. Thus, you don't suffer from the "I didn't read/get your email" lies! Over all, there are still many things I prefer to do via email, but, particularly for more social things, I don't mind using FB at all, especially acknowledging that many of my friends will check FB before checking email; note, yours may be one of dozens if not more emails your friend gets each day, whereas your friend may get only a handfull of FB messages a day . . . I know that in that situation, if only for psychological reasons, I'd be much more interested in reading my FB messages than having to sort through emails.

Old 03-01-2015, 05:58 PM

966 posts, read 1,219,169 times
Default facebook

I went on Facebook in 2012 as I was desperate to find a friend who had moved out of state. I did find her and gave facebook a real try. I love the animal videos, became my procrastination pleasure. I also had 2 cousins who only communicated on facebook. It became to be a problem when someone would say to me, at 7:30 am if I got her post and blah blah. No, at that time of day, I am luck that I am not late.
My aunt died in June and her daughters kept everyone up to date on face book. This made sense and I accommodated, even to the point of finding a Verizon rep to help me use less data (go to site through chrome don't use app). Just before the holidays her daughters were not posting as much.
I began some retraining on computers so the last thing I wanted to so was come home and scroll through peoples recipes.......
So I only go on every 2 weeks or so. You miss a lot but I just don't have the time for it.
Do what you wish. I hear the kids are using something else than facebook now.

But no, you aren't alone. I have issues with it too but maybe just cranky enough to not care what people think. And I don't like it when people read your threads with other people and they are nosy relatives just stirring up trouble. Its a public site, and immature people are just that.

Do what you wish. Just check once a week for a while. Best of luck. Its ok.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:04 PM

966 posts, read 1,219,169 times
Default facebook

This comment will have to be a P.S. When the horrible ISIS videos were up, I did not want to be a part of anything that pushed me to push a button labeled "like" to indicate that I read or saw it. Made me feel kind of sick. I know you can just comment. But really who Likes so much????????? Did I mention I was cranky?

Old 03-01-2015, 06:30 PM

2,863 posts, read 1,412,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Issuing a mandate? Seriously, all is takes it not to respond to FB messages for quite a while, then when you do - say you don't check there often, but you check your email all the time.
I have done exacty this. Several times. Virtually everyone ignores my plea.

You cant change people they are going to follow the trend, Facebook is the trend, and if you are not on Facebook you may be shunned to some extent. Doesnt really bother me, Ive been antisocial all my life so nothing really new here.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:55 PM

17,017 posts, read 17,164,159 times
Email is very convenient, I love it.

Facebook, so-so.

The demise of email is very much not going to happen.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:59 AM

11,849 posts, read 13,973,633 times
I love ya Tek_Freek. You know you are one of my favorite regulars AND one of the people I nearly always agree with...

But....
You OBVIOUSLY don't use FB that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post

If FlakeBook would allow the user to restrict certain things then it would be a more friendly app. As it is it lets people bombard you with crap you don't want.
I assume you mean "so-and-so has Invited you to Play Candy Crush." Really? As much as I hate that ALSO, is it REALLY that big a deal to a) just ignore it b) message that person and ask "please stop asking me to play silly FB games"??

Quote:
Hell, FlakeBook does the same thing. Do you know this person? No, and I am sick and tired of you asking me. Where do I turn off this crappy feature?
Sick and tired? Come on...
Once you have more then like 10 friends, FB stops asking you that. I never see that. And you NEVER see it if you FB from a tablet or phone using the app.

Quote:
So, yeah. Hating FlakeBook isn't trendy. It's justified.
It's neither. The vast majority of people that hate and rant about FB are the ones who never use it, or tried it for a week and quit.

Quote:
But there are those who can't see the problems through all the idolization.
Idolization? Come on... there are a lot of positive's about FB. Is it perfect? Heck no. Is it flawed? Seriously. Does it provide REAL value to MILLIONS of people. Unequivocally.
I cannot stand attitudes that people are stupid and get sucked into mindless things like sheep. Now granted I do believe a large majority of humans are NOT that intelligent, but I do NOT believe they are automatons that glom onto any website or smartphone just because they are mindless sheep.
Facebook provides a good value for what it costs. And let me remind you it costs you: nothing. So is it REALLY to much to ask to have to look at some ads? Too much to ask to have to make you *horror* scroll past that Candy Crush invite from Aunt Sarah? You can ignore her if she continues.
Too much to ask for you to ignore that "Do you know???"

BTW, that DID YOU KNOW popped up on my feed jut a few weeks after I joined FB and I found a half sister and half brother I didn't even know I had in Atlanta. (Didn't even know my dad was married to that woman..). So it may not provide value to YOU...but it did me. And is it really to much to ask you to just ignore it? Is it REALLY that intrusive?

Quote:
And the communication problem goes both ways. If friends want to use FlakeBook to communicate and you want to use email, both should be acceptable. Respond on FlakeBook when needed, but friends should show the courtesy of responding to emails as well.
Agree. Finally.

Lastly...it's free. If Facebook offered a pay service that would NOT give you "Do you knows" or Game invites from friends, I am curious Tek: would you pay a nominal monthly fee for it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or